Forums > MaxMSP

Why wont my crossfade work?

May 11, 2011 | 12:57 pm

Here is the sub-patch ive written based on the tutorials, though for some reason it wont work. I understand MaxMSP but when it comes to jitter I am useless; all i want to do is crossfade between two still jpegs…

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Thanks
A

May 11, 2011 | 1:23 pm

Don’t worry too much about it, a couple of months ago I had the same kind of very basic issuesm just hang on and you’ll get it eventually.

The biggest problem is that you don’t have a metro/qmetro. A metro for movies typically has an argument between 30 and 40 to bang out frames in the movie. Try giving a high metro argument and you’ll get to know it.

Here’s a fixed version of your patch.

Maybe you could try to make a small GUI? Possibly with a slider rather than numbers.

Check out learn and video processing device. That will give you some jitter help.

May 11, 2011 | 1:25 pm

Oh… Looked at it again. Your bang and your prepend xfade has no practical value either. Good luck with it!

May 11, 2011 | 1:28 pm

You need to either constantly bang the respective image matrices and xfade object to generate a new resultant image – triggered by any change in the numerical xfade value OR use the more traditional approach of "polling" jitter matrices via a (q)metro as I’ve done here:

And once again, In the process of responding, I missed previous posts answering the question already 8-O

May 11, 2011 | 1:41 pm

Ah brilliant, thats great; didnt realise it needed a constant bang to remind it to do something! Thanks!

May 12, 2011 | 8:52 am

you don’t actually need the continuous bang…just add a bang after you send a new xfade value:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)