Will Max5 Online Documentation Be Left Available Indefinitely?

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:47am

Will Max5 Online Documentation Be Left Available Indefinitely?

Hey, Cycling74, creating some ‘sampling’/'sequencing’ tutorials for max/msp and monome(and possibly midi controllers… and paralleling everything someday with supercollider tutorial as well… and dreaming of timelessness where all things can get done within one lifetime…. :p ), i’ve been linking from within patches to doc pages online… very helpful, can i leave them linked to max5 online docs? or should i switch them over to max6?

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:30am

i… uh… went ahead and changed ‘em. no doubt an insignificant question from an insignificant person. criticism accepted! :D

now i got a question for anyone who would be so kind. cycle~ in max6 is stated to have an internal wavetable size of 16k, but once it refers to an external buffer~(using ‘set’) message, it’s still only able to use 512 samples at a time. Is this by design? If so, what’s the benefit? If not, will this be changed?
Only curious, not a complaint of any kind.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:54am

i see this as actually just a backwards compatibility issue. i.e., it seems to have been made this way so that all the max 5, 4 & 3 patches that used the ‘set’ method will still produce a 512 samples waveform as before. but now in max6 you can use the size in samples attribute anyway (would be great if we had this as attribute rather than message to buffer as well!). it is a fair backwards compatibility thing i think, as the large wavetable sizes available now (up to 65k!) sound so completely different to the old 512 style. i made a ring mod recently with 65k wavetables for fun – awesome.

so, i think this will stay this way. but you never know. i mean i naively thought i wouldn’t go THIS bald, either.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:42pm

ah, that makes sense. sounds good.
[edit: oh wait, just set buffer~ size to sizeinsamps as usual, and then immediately after send new 'setall' message to cycle~(now just have to figure out convenient way to account for this in my patch in case there's any max5 users...)]

baldness is hereditary, in that you inherit it from your technology (ya, i think that’s how the saying goes…. :p)

:D

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.