Windows Vista with Max/MSP

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:00am

Windows Vista with Max/MSP

Hiya.
just was wondering what peoples experiences are (if any) and peoples thoughts and feelings were to max/msp under windows vista. As many people in the ‘Max Community’ are mac users and now the magics of intel have made macintoshes very powerful pc’s in sheeps clothing just thought some people may have used it or experiemented with it.

I’m a windows user and i assume i always will be. i have no gripes with microsoft which i wouldn’t gripe about apple. Anyway i have just done some more experiementation with Max/msp running under vista and i am very pleased.

I have a fairly new PC which is meatyish and has been running XP since i built it. its a Core 2 Duo E6400, nVidia 7600GT, 2 gig ram. i also have a good audio card but have not really been swayed toward vista yet because of m-audio’s lack of drivers ( i have a trusty delta pci card). but i thought i would try it out anyway. Max installs and runs with no trouble what so ever. installs in about 30 sec’s then a quick restart and were away. i was surprised as i have had trouble with some other software and vista. I did some checks on different objects and runs liek xp. i do however have a speed increse on many aspects and i havn’t had as many crashs as i did under xp. this could simply be a coinsdence but hey i like to give vista the benifit of the doubt.

Has anyone else ventured on to vista it would be nice to know if people have had any problems or if everyone is happy.

My main problem is my onbourd realtek HD audio card but hopefully m-audio will hurry up with its drivers.

also the nice fancy 3D aero graphics is a bonus…not half as good as the linux xgl desktop though.

#31240
Apr 7, 2007 at 9:36am

i probably won’t upgrade to vista for at least a year. there’s really no reason. I have XP perfect.

#101193
Apr 8, 2007 at 8:27am

works fine for me.

b

Macca wrote:
> Hiya.
> just was wondering what peoples experiences are (if any) and peoples thoughts and feelings were to max/msp under windows vista. As many people in the ‘Max Community’ are mac users and now the magics of intel have made macintoshes very powerful pc’s in sheeps clothing just thought some people may have used it or experiemented with it.
>
> I’m a windows user and i assume i always will be. i have no gripes with microsoft which i wouldn’t gripe about apple. Anyway i have just done some more experiementation with Max/msp running under vista and i am very pleased.
>
> I have a fairly new PC which is meatyish and has been running XP since i built it. its a Core 2 Duo E6400, nVidia 7600GT, 2 gig ram. i also have a good audio card but have not really been swayed toward vista yet because of m-audio’s lack of drivers ( i have a trusty delta pci card). but i thought i would try it out anyway. Max installs and runs with no trouble what so ever. installs in about 30 sec’s then a quick restart and were away. i was surprised as i have had trouble with some other software and vista. I did some checks on different objects and runs liek xp. i do however have a speed increse on many aspects and i havn’t had as many crashs as i did under xp. this could simply be a coinsdence but hey i like to give vista the benifit of the doubt.
>
> Has anyone else ventured on to vista it would be nice to know if people have had any problems or if everyone is happy.
>
> My main problem is my onbourd realtek HD audio card but hopefully m-audio will hurry up with its drivers.
>
> also the nice fancy 3D aero graphics is a bonus…not half as good as the linux xgl desktop though.
> –
> MaccA
>


barry threw
composition : sound : programming
http://www.barrythrew.com
bthrew(at)gmail(dot)com
857-544-3967

Today, Noise is triumphant and reigns sovereign over the sensibility of men.
- Luigi Russolo, The Art of Noises

#101194
Apr 9, 2007 at 9:15am

Cough.. did you say faster in Vista than XP? I’ve bought Vista but have been very afraid to install do to the horror stories of driver support.

Vista is supposedly a true 64bit OS I thinks… maybe this is why it is running better than XP???

So we have someone with a dual core intel chip running max/msp on Vista….. anybody try this on a dual core AMD???

#101195
Apr 9, 2007 at 9:17pm

i havn’t really had any driver problems with vista so far just my m-audio drivers….but that is a pretty essential part of my pro audio set up. My vista machine is just for games anyway i just wanted to try out max, cubase, live etc just to see how they liked vista. As you said the speed could be because of the 64bit. i like to have faith in vista. its most likly a bit broken in places but as long as you have security protection (which you should have on xp and on macs anyway) then its pretty much problem free. I am using a really good ‘lite’ build of vista s well with alots of the crap ripped out so that could also account for the speed increase. though cos im a bit of a sucker for pretty OS’s i have aero enabled all the time. if i turned it off it will most likly run even faster.

Im back on xp for my main audio stuff though and leaving vista for my games…May 8th when halo 2 and games for windows live gets up and running. Will be a good day for nerds like me.

Oh well hopefully the pro audio hardware drivers will become more vista friendly.

#101196

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.