Wireless video cameras switching with Jitter ?

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:47pm

Wireless video cameras switching with Jitter ?

#38343
Jun 11, 2008 at 7:20pm

you want 4 to 6 different cameras into one computer? with no additional hardware?

sounds impossible to me.

#133464
Jun 12, 2008 at 7:04am

It should be possible with a Mac Pro and PCI slots and this kind of sofware :

http://www.varasoftware.com/products/wirecast/

In fact I think the thing is to switch from ports to let pass the chossen video through the computer (only one video source at a time)

But my laptop has not enough ports to play with…

Another solution could be this kind of wireless IP camera :

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1143837459487&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=5948728043B02

With the “surveillance utility” you can switch from different sources. I have seen (but not tried) 4 at least with the GPL utility.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859912899&packedargs=sku%3D1143837459487&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=1289959487B06&displaypage=download

It sounds interesting.
And Jitter could do something with that, no ?

#133465
Jun 12, 2008 at 8:55am

Quote: robtherich wrote on Wed, 11 June 2008 21:20
—————————————————-
> you want 4 to 6 different cameras into one computer? with no additional hardware?
>
> sounds impossible to me.
>
>
—————————————————-

Well, not simultaneously. But with the DFG13941e digitizers with ASC drivers you could have 6 jit.qt.grabs and open/close them as needed. In fact you would only need 2 of the boxes. One box has 3 inputs between which you can switch.

Mattijs

#133466
Aug 1, 2008 at 5:55pm

Thank you very much Mattijs.
and sorry for the long time gap before my answer…

You gave me a very good advise.

At the end of the Max patch, I’ll need to export the live video (mixed by the opened/closed jit.qt.grabs) to my DVI-VGA MacBook Pro connector.
With which objects it is possible ? jit.windows ?
(you see I’m a complete newbie…)

In fact I think that I need to use this connector because all the firewire ports will be used to input the cameras with the DFG13941e digitizers.
I can use this Canopus product to digitalize (again ?) : http://www.av2p.com/video_canopus/canopus.php?n=Twin_Pact_100&q=materiel-logiciel-video

Would it be OK this way ?

Thanks
Paul

#133467
Aug 1, 2008 at 6:02pm

In general I would advise you to do the tutorials before starting your first serious attempt to a working program.

The fact that you say ‘export’ makes me wonder whether you need the processed video in real time or as a rendered movie. I assumed the first, but if you need a movie as an end result I would look into jit.qt.record.

Mattijs

Quote: Paul Sellis wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 19:55
—————————————————-
> Thank you very much Mattijs.
> and sorry for the long time gap before my answer…
>
> You gave me a very good advise.
>
>
> At the end of the Max patch, I’ll need to export the live video (mixed by the opened/closed jit.qt.grabs) to my DVI-VGA MacBook Pro connector.
> With which objects it is possible ? jit.windows ?
> (you see I’m a complete newbie…)
>
> In fact I think that I need to use this connector because all the firewire ports will be used to input the cameras with the DFG13941e digitizers.
> I can use this Canopus product to digitalize (again ?) : http://www.av2p.com/video_canopus/canopus.php?n=Twin_Pact_100&q=materiel-logiciel-video
>
> Would it be OK this way ?
>
> Thanks
> Paul
—————————————————-

#133468
Aug 2, 2008 at 8:29am

Mattijs you are right. But I have not yet a Max licence. And that’s not me who will develop the patch but one colleague who knows more about sound than video in Max. It’s why I try to “prepare” his work…

Yes it’s for a video out in real time. So it seems that jit.windows is the required object, no ?

But I have another question ;-)
DFG13941e digitizers assume that cameras are analogic (or numeric but with an analogic export).

Is there a solution with Max to switch from 4 or 6 IP Cameras ?

#133469
Aug 2, 2008 at 12:30pm

Quote: Paul Sellis wrote on Sat, 02 August 2008 10:29
—————————————————-
> Mattijs you are right. But I have not yet a Max licence. And that’s not me who will develop the patch but one colleague who knows more about sound than video in Max. It’s why I try to “prepare” his work…

I see. I expect that it will be hard to prepare for his work in a way that helps without the basic knowledge from the max tutorials.

>
> Yes it’s for a video out in real time. So it seems that jit.windows is the required object, no ?

Assuming what you want to do is project the results it on a screen, yes. You would connect a beamer to your vga or dvi output like you would connect a monitor.

>
>
> But I have another question ;-)
> DFG13941e digitizers assume that cameras are analogic (or numeric but with an analogic export).
>
> Is there a solution with Max to switch from 4 or 6 IP Cameras ?

Hm interesting, I have no experience with IP camera’s. Maybe someone else can help you out? I’m interested as well.

Mattijs

#133470
Aug 2, 2008 at 4:52pm

If the cameras send an rtsp stream, you can receive them with jit.qt.movie.

#133471
Aug 6, 2008 at 8:01pm

Dan,

sorry for the delay of my answer.

- Are you sure that all RTSP streams are QuickTime compatible so they can be received with jit.qt.movie ?

- Do you think, like Mattijs advised me for analog cameras, that I could use jit.qt.grab for these RTSP streams to open/close them as needed ? (just to reduce CPU usage)

Thanks for you help
Paul

#133472
Aug 7, 2008 at 1:42am

You could also get a programmable analog video switcher and just use one analog capture card, and switch the input via RS-232. In fact, you could probably wire up a simple composite mixer with very little effort yourself.

Ive built a simple (non programmable) video switcher, and its not too hard. Adding an arduino and going that route would save you a lot of money over buying a few DFGs..

#133473
Aug 8, 2008 at 1:03pm

Vade, thank you for your suggestion but I am afraid that programming an analog video switcher is too sophisticated for me…
:-((

I have found some video switchers :
http://www.amabilidade2002.com/scart35.htm
And this way I could manage mixing analog cameras without Max, I think.

But I thought it was a good way to use Max/jitter to switch from IP Wireless cameras using RTSP streams. But does it really works ?…
I’m not sure that the RTSP protocol from these IP cameras is compatible to be received by jit.qt.movie

Any feedback ?

#133474

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.