Wireless Webcam Question

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:51am

Wireless Webcam Question

Hey, Im working on a project that I would like to incorporate a wireless webcam into but I have no idea how I would go about working that. Ive been trying to read up about it and figure it out. Is there wireless adapter I could plug the camera into that would send the data over wifi to my computer? If anyone here has any experience it would help a lot. Thanks. – Jake

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:24am

I don’t have experience with a WI-FI camera as such but I do use a wireless RF Camera (with 9v Battery) connected to a Firewire convertor: http://www.1394imaging.com/en/products/converters/dfg13941e/overview/

This might be a bit over-kill tho?

Depending on how much your camera is moving you can get static and artifacts from the camera with this approach.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:51pm

That seems like a little much for what I was thinking about doing. I was kind of just wondering if there was any way to take the USB data and somehow turn it wireless. Im not too sure if Im just completely making things up or what. Thanks for your reply though. Ill look into that in the future if I need it for some reason. Anybody else know anything about this?

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:21pm

dlink , linksys and others have wireless wifi cameras, they have an ip so it
very easy to broadcast to the Internet or locally. the problem with wifi is
that it is bad at roaming (that is way they recommend not to move out of the
wifi point range or else you’ll have to reconnect). also wifi is power
hungry.
analog wireless is better at it but (for reliabilty+quality) you need good
equipment as alot of stuff tend to get in its way, from wifi access point,
cellular phones, even microwaves if the waveband is right. surveying the
site before with a band scanner is best.

i got nice results from analog spycams, if the line of sight is kept you can
go 50-100m, i tied one to a kite-no problem. but not the cleanest signal.
the most common are 30$ cheap

wireless usb a.k.a wusb is the “protocol of the future”, nothing came out
yet, but i haven’t checked recently.

2006/9/24, Jake Waldron :
>
>
> That seems like a little much for what I was thinking about doing. I was
> kind of just wondering if there was any way to take the USB data and somehow
> turn it wireless. Im not too sure if Im just completely making things up or
> what. Thanks for your reply though. Ill look into that in the future if I
> need it for some reason. Anybody else know anything about this?
>

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:06am

I have looked into the wireless analog camera’s and they seem like they would work the best, but the only problem is my computer is a Mac Mini and I don’t know of any way to get the video in. Is there a video card that would work on the Mini? Some kind of firewire video card interface. I haven’t looked too much into that yet. I think what Im going to do is, for this project, just have it be wired for now but continue to look into it. Ill most likely eventually use an analog wireless camera and find a way to connect that to my computer, be it from an analog to firewire convertor like the person above mentioned or some sort of video interface. Thanks for your help.

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:41am

I spent some more time looking around for stuff that could make this work and found this:

http://www.trianglecables.com/usb20-videograbber.html

Does anyone know of any devices like this that would work on a mac? I think something like this and one of those wireless analog cameras could work great for what I want to do.

Sep 25, 2006 at 2:14am

There are a wide range of such devices – mainly turning a analogue signal into a Firewire DV Signal.

Apple Store – Video Devices:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/7.RSLID?mco=E8430A7&nclm=E8430A7

But there is of course the issue of speed/lag decompressing DV if your require near realtime response. A lot of info in the archives on this subject.

Sep 25, 2006 at 3:25pm

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.