working example of saving js state in M4L

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:05pm

working example of saving js state in M4L

I’ve been trying to work out how to get a JS script to remember some internal state in an M4L device so that innter patch working involving javascript can be, e.g. save in presets etc.

I’ve had no luck yet. I tried to do an M4L version of the notorious “cowbell” example in the tutorial, using “getvalueof()/setvalueof()” JS functions in a @parameter_enable 1 JS object, but my JS object never seems to recall data with the patcher (i.e. when you call the “howmanycowbells” function, it does not recall a different version for each device.

In the interim I’ve been working around it by having the javascript object write out the value of getvalueof() to a pattr in parameter mode, and then an initialisation i get the pattr to send that data back again with “setvalueof” prepended.

For your convenience my javascript is included below so that you can inform me how I’ve been a dunderhead.

comments, critique gratefully accepted.

autowatch = 1;
var numcowbells = 1;

function cowbells(a)
{
	numcowbells = a;
	notifyclients();
}

//AFAICT this is only used for saving JS state with the patcher itself, not in the M4L version
function save()
{
	embedmessage("cowbells", numcowbells);
}

function howmanycowbells()
{
	post("numcowbells", numcowbells);
	outlet(0, numcowbells);
}

function getvalueof() {
	return numcowbells;
}

function setvalueof(a) {
	cowbells(a);
}
Attachments:
  1. testjsstate.maxpat
Apr 2, 2013 at 3:31am

Hi, the getvalueof() and setvalueof() functions interact with the pattr system… if you attach the middle outlet of an ‘pattr @parameter_enable 1′ to the first inlet of your js then everything should be good…..

The save() function you have is for storing state in a patcher and isn’t needed here….

Hope this helps…

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:43pm

Ahhh. Thank you Lee.

Got it. So @parameter_enable 1 doesn’t really do anything with JS – I should defer all that stuff to a pattr, for which @parameter_enable 1 does what one expects. OK.

Bonus points if anyone can tell me what @parameter_enable 1 DOES do for a javascript object.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:14pm

pattr objects normally need a pattrstorage object in order to determine where the information is stored…. the pattr object with @parameter_enable 1 indicates that the information should be stored within the patch and you don’t need to provide an independent pattrstorage object…

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:45pm

for above post, should add that the @parameter_enable 1 is part of the pattr storage for m4l…

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:44pm

Thanks, Lee for diving back in to it again!

I think I perhaps could have phrase my flippant final question better.

To do that now, yes I understand that @parameter enable tells the pattr to store information with the preset rather than in the patch. However, my question is, rather, why it seems to behave differently between a JS object and other objects. So if I put a [pattr] or, say, a [flonum] in @parameter_enable 1 mode, then they instantly and magically behave like standard live interface objects such as [live.dial], in that they store their state in the preset. If, however, I create a [js @parameter_enable 1] object, it seems, if I am understanding you correctly, to additionally require to be attached to a [pattr @parameter_enable 1] object to save its state, and does not save that state itself. Therefore, as far as I understand, @parameter_mode 1 doesn’t do anything for JS objects, and may as well be ignored.

The patch works fine, by the way, using your [pattr @parameter_enable 1] hack! At this point I’m more trying to understand rather than fix anything.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:59am

Ah, I see what you mean… I misunderstood your post… I was not aware that you could supply @parameter_enable 1 as an attribute to a js object – I guess this should behave as you expect… I’ll give this a try when I have a few mins…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.