Working with pixels. is it possible?

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:00am

Working with pixels. is it possible?

I am wondering how to go about working with pixels in max msp. (By pixels I am referring to visible!! small points of color and brightness in which you can make out the image but nevertheless you are looking at points)

example — (a sky video) select only the brightest pixels of the video, pass them to a render or video plane,.. and have only the white dots(pixels) of say the “clouds” show up against a black background excluding therefore the blue of the sky.

and what about having the white pixels behave a certain way like apply to them some noise feedback so the white dots appear to move like clouds but all of the sudden behave erratically. and then back to clouds..

Is this even possible in Max MSP? if so what do I need to learn>? shaders?

thanks for the guidance.

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:20pm

Max MSP doesn’t deal with video like this by itself, what you want is Jitter(and you may have wanted to post this under the ‘Jitter’ forums).

There is a [suckah] object that can help you pick out certain colors in a video. You can also use shaders but there may be simpler ways, everything you need is covered in the Jitter tutorials:

http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/tutorials/jit-tut/jitindex.html

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:43pm

oh sorry, Ill post in the jitter section next time.

I already went over the jitter tutorials.But not the javascript,shaders parts and I don’t remember anything that was able to do this
—> http://www.learningprocessing.com/exercises/chapter-17/exercise-17-7/
this in processing seems a little easier,, I just wanted to know if it could be done in max msp.

if so, how? You say that there are simpler ways, I am not completely sure about this.

anyways Noob4life thanks for the reply I appreciate your presence in the forum and all your help!!

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:05pm

i don’t have an exact answer, but the tutorials can help show how to analyze the data in a matrix(for example, i was thinking of tutorials 12, 25, and 39 but they may only apply to a certain degree…).
i was saying there ‘may’ be simpler ways(like js and java and openGL shaders) because i’m not entirely familiar with all those js/java/openGL ways…

looking at that exercise you posted, i also see it’s converting to ascii art so you might also try looking at this from the examples folder:
Max5/examples/jitter-examples/video/misc/jit.lcd-ascii-art.maxpat

(personally, i like OpenGL for its efficiency using the GPU of the comp, which can help to save CPU so I might try to learn some advanced shader solution… but you could also look up ‘Processing’ on these forums and perhaps just use Processing with Max/MSP/Jitter)
until someone with more experience answers, hope that helps give somewhere to start.

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:19pm

Have a look at jitter recipes 38 (see attachment below). that might help… maybe

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Sep 10, 2010 at 2:35am

wonderful. so If I want to make different types of pixel effects you would suggest doing jxs slab programming.
this is practically the same as doing shaders? right? I don’t know a great deal of programming so this confuses me, but I am sure I can read about this in jitter tutorials.

but thanks for the help guys.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.