Forums > Jitter

write jxf file from jit.matrix strange thing

March 18, 2010 | 11:27 am

hi,

when i send the write message with a path to jit.matrix. it creates a file in the same directory with the path as a name.

in the references, it’s clearly written that write can come with a filename.

so is there a possibility to write a jxf file from a jit.matrix in another directory ?

here is a simple example :

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

cheers

g

March 18, 2010 | 11:42 am

this is the same with jit.textfile.

March 18, 2010 | 5:18 pm

I can’t reproduce for directories which actually exist, and for which I have write privileges. In such a case it works as expected. Is it possible that the path to your desktop is actually named something else, or you are using from another user account which does not have write privileges?

March 18, 2010 | 5:31 pm

hi joshua.

i have admin rights on the computer and the path to my desktop in the example is correct.

but i now have a new fact.

when i write it and only the patch i posted is opened, it works correctly.

now, if i run another of my patchs (quiet big, with some jitter objects -render-matrix-nurbs-etc…), and test to write the matrix again, then it creates the jxf file in the Max5 application directory and the file is named "/Users/G/Desktop/testjxf.jxf".

i think my big patch modify something in the jitter world that causes this.

but what?

i need to restart max to restore the correct behavior.

g

March 18, 2010 | 7:16 pm

Sounds like some memory corruption, or some other path/symbol issues. If you are able to provide an isolated patch, with clear steps to reproduce and system/max info, we can investigate further.

Thanks,
Joshua

March 18, 2010 | 7:18 pm

Sounds like some memory corruption, or some other path/symbol issues. If you are able to provide an isolated patch, with clear steps to reproduce and system/max info, we can investigate further.

Thanks,
Joshua

March 19, 2010 | 10:26 am

got it !

ok, it only occurs with jitter objects (tested with jit.matrix and jit.textfile).

when i first load the patch it works fine. i can write a jxf file by specifying a path. but if i open ANY OTHER PATCH in ANY OTHER FOLDER, like opening an extra patch, the bug occurs.

if i reopen a patch in the same folder than the one writing the jxf, everything go back to normal.

here is a little video illustrating this : http://ev.gui.free.fr/strangepath.mov

i’ve uninstalled every 3rd party objects, cleaned my paths, etc…

let me know if someone can reproduce this.

thanks !

g

March 19, 2010 | 11:39 am

Hello Guillaume,

I’ve had the same problem in a big patch without being able to reproduce/explain it.
Thanks !

MacbookPro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
Mac OS 10.5.8
Max 5.1.3

The problem also appeared on a MacPro and a G5 but I haven’t got their exact specifications.

Léo

March 20, 2010 | 4:08 pm

joshua, any news on this ?

cheers

g

March 22, 2010 | 1:03 am

Thanks for the clear demonstration. I am able to reproduce, and we will fix in a future release.

March 22, 2010 | 11:17 pm

Please find the attached macintosh version of the object. Let us know if it solves your problems or if it has any other new problems.

Thanks,
Joshua

March 22, 2010 | 11:18 pm

thanks joshua for being so quick ! don’t forget jit.textfile !

March 22, 2010 | 11:24 pm

unfortunately…

still the same.
open the patch and it’s ok, open any other patch in any other folder -> path problem.

g

March 22, 2010 | 11:53 pm

Oops. Here’s the right one. Sorry about that. And yes, similar fixes have been made for jit.textfile, jit.fprint, and jit.qt.broadcast. Let me know if you kind other issues.

March 23, 2010 | 9:20 am

thanks a lot.

could you please post jit.textfile as well ?

i really need these two objects to work these days…

cheers !

g

March 23, 2010 | 5:48 pm

Don’t usually do this, but here you go. Thanks for finding this issue which has been present for a long time.

Please let us know if they solve your problems, or if you encounter any new issues.

Thanks,
Joshua

March 23, 2010 | 5:54 pm

thanks joshua !

i’ll keep you informed.

g

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)