writing and reading in a buffer~ in the same block

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:30pm

writing and reading in a buffer~ in the same block

Dear all

We used to be able to do this in Max 4.6: indexing a buffer~ with count~ in read and write at the same time (i.e. putting the same address in poke~ and index~) and we were sure it was working.

Now in Max5 I get some nasty artefacts, as in the very simplifies patch included.

Is that normal?

thanks

pa

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Oct 18, 2009 at 5:05pm
Quote:
We used to be able to do this in Max 4.6: indexing a buffer~ with count~ in read and write at the same time (i.e. putting the same address in poke~ and index~) and we were sure it was working.
Now in Max5 I get some nasty artefacts,

you can still do this. start [count~] with a bang, and it should work. if you want to stop/pause recording, set the sample index (second inlet of poke~) to -1.

but i remember some funkiness with the order of creation of the signal obejects, so you might still run into problems…

volker

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:21am

this is a patch that makes sure it works, but it still pisses me off that it use to read than write, respecting the right-to-left rule, and now it seems to be random! with one Signal Vector delay, it works…

can this behavious be confirmed by any cycling coder?

p

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:25pm

I don’t think, there’s anything wrong or random here…
The first patch posted didn’t work because [count~] doesn’t get started. So only _one_ sample (the first) was read/written.
As volker said, send [count~] a bang and everythings fine (without needing a [delay~]).

You can even feedback the [index~] back into the [poke~]. This of course introduces a delay of one vector block (like send~/receive~), as this patch demonstrates.

Quote:it still pisses me off that it use to read than write, respecting the right-to-left rule, and now it seems to be random

BTW, I don’t think, that the right-to-left rule applies to signals.
In the SDK there’s a Z_PUT_FIRST and Z_PUT_LAST flag for signal objects, which tells the audio scheduler to put it near the end or beginning of the signal chain. But the docs don’t go into detail…

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:14pm

I think you are right about the new order, but it use to work right to left in max 4.6 or I am wrong but I have coded since MSP1 with that assumption and was never told wrong i.e. my code worked!

btw, I’ve added 1 as a second argument to count~ and it does not solve my problem, every other time!

it is very unpredictible, which is quite new to Max5, hence my questions…

Thanks for your help, the second patch I posted is working, but I want to know if the thread-safe buffer access is the responsible (which I think it is) but your idea of the audio chain order is a good hypothesis (again just in Max5… maybe to sort the problem induced by the increment/decrement of the b_inuse flag)

pa

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:18pm

Ok, maybe my answer was a bit naive. I hadn’t thought about the new thread/multiprocessor-safe buffer access.
The audio chain order flag has been there there in max4, too.

Anyways, I haven’t noticed any artifacts opening the patch several times!

Maybe you should post this in the Dev-forum?

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:40pm
Quote:
The audio chain order flag has been there there in max4, too.

I didn’t notice… I’ve been lucky then!

Quote:
Maybe you should post this in the Dev-forum?

I’ll flag it, you are right. I sent it to the bek list as well, and some interesting answers came from there…

cheers

pa

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.