Forums > MaxMSP

Writing Buffer~ to disk – possibly continuously

April 15, 2011 | 1:15 am

Without getting too specific I am trying to find a way to record a large number of inputs (10ish) for a long amount of time (2hours-ish). Eventually I run out of memory (this basically goes without saying?) and so I want to find a simple way to record somewhat simultaneously to the hard drive.
During the time frame of the recordings I wont need to play back any of the files I write to the drive.

The only idea I can think of right now would be essentially this:

two buffer~ objects with only one recording at a time. When the first one is basically done, the second one would start and the first one would write. The name of each file would be determined by a counter. They could likely leapfrog like this for quite some time.

If I do this, how long of a buffer between buffer~ objects do you think I would need? 10ms? Trial and error?

If this is a bad idea, how can I improve it?

Are there any externals that exist for this purpose which would save me the time?

Note: someone might say that I should just send the signals into a recording program but to that I say: that isn’t going to happen.

April 16, 2011 | 4:19 pm

> During the time frame of the recordings I wont need to play back any of the files I write to the drive.

Why not use sfrecord~? (I must say I never used it for long recordings.)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)