Forums > MaxMSP

writing scores

January 25, 2008 | 12:07 pm

Hello,
I’m trying to build some patches in order to use the max interface to generate information able to be imported in a score editor (preferently sibelius). I found a main problem:
– The midi format is too simple and the midifile parser of max (detonate) makes it indeed more simple through its poor flexibility
The question is: does somebody know an object (external) or library that improve the possibilities of detonate? Or does somebody know another object or library to write in other open formats, like etf or musicxml?
Thank very much for your tips,

Alberto Bernal


January 25, 2008 | 12:55 pm

Check out JMSL:

http://www.algomusic.com/jmsl/

and

http://www.algomusic.com/jmsl/maxmsp/index.html

Nick has it set up pretty well for doing max/msp stuff now. It
exports different formats that can be read into Sibelius, FInale, etc.

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

On Jan 25, 2008, at 7:07 AM, alberto-bernal wrote:

>
> Hello,
> I’m trying to build some patches in order to use the max
> interface to generate information able to be imported in a score
> editor (preferently sibelius). I found a main problem:
> – The midi format is too simple and the midifile parser of max
> (detonate) makes it indeed more simple through its poor flexibility
> The question is: does somebody know an object (external) or
> library that improve the possibilities of detonate? Or does
> somebody know another object or library to write in other open
> formats, like etf or musicxml?
> Thank very much for your tips,
>
> Alberto Bernal


January 25, 2008 | 4:30 pm

I didn’t see a download for the Max objects. Are they included with jmsl?

On 1/25/08 7:55 AM, "Brad Garton" wrote:

> Check out JMSL:
>
> http://www.algomusic.com/jmsl/
>
> and
>
> http://www.algomusic.com/jmsl/maxmsp/index.html
>
> Nick has it set up pretty well for doing max/msp stuff now. It
> exports different formats that can be read into Sibelius, FInale, etc.
>
> brad
> http://music.columbia.edu/~brad
>
>
> On Jan 25, 2008, at 7:07 AM, alberto-bernal wrote:
>
>>
>> Hello,
>> I’m trying to build some patches in order to use the max
>> interface to generate information able to be imported in a score
>> editor (preferently sibelius). I found a main problem:
>> – The midi format is too simple and the midifile parser of max
>> (detonate) makes it indeed more simple through its poor flexibility
>> The question is: does somebody know an object (external) or
>> library that improve the possibilities of detonate? Or does
>> somebody know another object or library to write in other open
>> formats, like etf or musicxml?
>> Thank very much for your tips,
>>
>> Alberto Bernal
>

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson


January 25, 2008 | 5:33 pm

On Jan 25, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Gary Lee Nelson wrote:

> I didn’t see a download for the Max objects. Are they included
> with jmsl?

Yes — JMSL uses mxj, and Nick has some classes (and examples, I think)
that show how to use the max-specific classes to communicate data
to/from the JMSL engine. You might also want to look at the sample
patches here:

http://www.cycling74.com/story/2007/3/26/145938/572

although they may be a little out-of-sync with the latest JMSL release.

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad


January 28, 2008 | 6:39 pm

Very interesting this project. Unfortunately, my poor knowledge in java doesn’t allow me to manage the code in order to extend the (until now) basic functionality of the max interaction.
I’ve also discovered the ftm-project of IRCAM ( http://ftm.ircam.fr/ ), easier to manage directly in max. By the moment, it only works with midi files (a musicxml support is announced), but the way it deals with the data (not only midi) is really powerful and seems to me one of the best tools for score writing.
Thank you for the tips,

Alberto Bernal


Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)