xbee to max/msp without arduino

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:06pm

xbee to max/msp without arduino

Hello,
any hint or experience of plugging sensor , button or whatever straight to a xbee and to get the data in max ?
all this on osx?

please share
:)

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:58pm

How are you going to configure the xbee?
You need a computer or microcontroller with a serial interface to talk to the xbee.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:21am

i am using a macbook pro and i got the xbee explorer, i normally use xbee with a funnel but i know it is possible to get ride of the fio and use the xbee only, to talk to an other xbee plug on a xbee explorer for simple sensor reading. I just wonder how to do it. i didn’t found so much information or atleast some easy info to read for me on how to do it on the web.

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:06am

OK , got it found the AT command i as looking for :)o

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:20am

I’m trying to solve the same problem now. Can you tell me what you did to get it working?

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:20am

hey, on mac , i have been using moltosenso to configure the xbees.
Don’t remember exactly what was the settings i ended up using, but if you do a search on that forum, you will find a link + patch on how to do it.

The basis is to really understand the bytes the xbee are sending, the easiest is to read the doc from digi. it will take you some time to get into it, but trust me it will save you lot of time at the end.

check these links:

http://www.faludi.com/projects/

http://fusion-artist.com/XBee/XBeeTutorial.htm

good luck!

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:08am

Hi All,

I’ve done this for a project. All setup done within Max:
<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

The above patch sets a single pair of Xbees. One collects data from the built in ADCs and the other receives and sends to the computer. Please note the changes in baudrate. By default Xbees are 9600kbs I change this to 115200 for faster transmission. So when I need to make changes to my boards I first need to connect using the 15200 baud so that I can restore to factory settings and then reprogram as needed.

Patcher to read incoming data once boards have been configured:
<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

The first 10 digits from the [unpack] object are the message header which I wasn’t using. If you enable more ADC channels the values for the sensors you will need to add a pair of integers to the [unpack] object. Each sensor will have MSB and LSB which you can then parse repeating the simple math with the [* 256] and [+ ] objects.

Hope it helps

– Miguel

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.