Forums > MaxMSP

X/Y Input Object

JP
April 28, 2009 | 2:16 pm

I looked through all the OOTB input objects last night, but nothing seemed to spring out that I could use for an X/Y coordinate input.

In essence I’d assumed there would be a slider object that would accept both vertical and horizontal values with just one slider.

The only examples I could find were people using the LCD object and the mouse input, but it seems like a lot of work to get a "click zone" that follows the mouse and can be kept in a place by letting go.

Any pointers much appreciated.

April 28, 2009 | 4:00 pm

What about pictslider? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?
What are you trying to accomplish?
Are monome JP btw?

Eli
April 28, 2009 | 4:45 pm

The pictslider object is what you’re looking for! It accepts both horizontal and vertical values and outputs them as well.

JP
April 28, 2009 | 5:39 pm

Yes !

That’s the one I was looking for. I glossed over that one assuming it was something to do with images. Many thanks, sorry for such a simple question.

Hey dovemouse, yup JP from the Monome forums.

I needed this to have a nice UI (and easy testing) for my pending 4 joystick midi control device I’m building with an arduino at the moment. I’ll post some updates when I get something that actually does something. Smile

JP
April 28, 2009 | 5:40 pm

Absolutely Perfect….

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 28, 2009 | 5:55 pm

Good stuff! Not the best name for the object imho, i always forget what its called.

I saw your xylophone arduino thing on your blog, very cool.
Im trying to break open a dead hardrive to grab the encoder inside for a arduino project…damn socket screws!

JP
April 28, 2009 | 6:02 pm

Yeah need to get back to that project as well, too many crazy ideas, not enough time. The Xyloduino went on the back burner when I couldn’t find a xylophone, but managed to get a 16 note wooden one the other day cheap ish, so I really need to build the frame for the hammers and get the max patch accepting midi in, so I can trigger it all from ableton. Then the silliness can begin. Very Happy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)