Zero Crossing Problem in Live

May 4, 2007 at 12:23am

Zero Crossing Problem in Live

I have a cycle~ ocil that i am triggering in live with midi. its part of a vst collective i built from my original max patch. when i trigger the midi, i get a click, becasue the cycle is not starting at a zero crossing. i have an attack set up via the ddg.velamp external. when the attack is set to 0 it does this, but if i set it to 1, its jsut too much attack. this is for a kick, so i want it to be in your face as much as possible….

here is my question:

is there a way to make sure the cycle ocil always starts on a zero crossing so i dont get a clip every time its triggered? i dont want to have to mess with the attack, i would rather make the zero crossing work.

where should i read up to fix this problem?

i attached a pic of the wave form….

[img]http://www.realsickeats.com/Picture%2010.png[/img]

May 4, 2007 at 1:15am

instead of driving the cycle~ object by sending a frequency to its left inlet, drive it by sending the output of a phasor~ object into its right inlet (phase inlet). then, to set the sine wave to a zero crossing, send a 0.25 or 0.75 into the right (phase) inlet of the phasor~ object.

of course, since we’re dealing with sending max messages to a signal-rate object, you can’t be sure that things are going to end up being sample accurate. in other words, if you have a cycle~ object screaming away at 5000 Hz, by the time you reset it to a zero crossing and your MIDI trigger finally lets the tone through, you may be way off of your zero crossing.

however, if all you’re trying to do is get a non-clicky attack, try setting the attack to something significantly higher than 1ms. even a 10ms attack time should be pretty “soft” while not noticeably delaying the perceived attack time.

-scott

May 4, 2007 at 1:38am

May 4, 2007 at 3:39am

this seems like it shouldnt be this hard. can i send the cycle~ a value to tell it where to start each time?

i made an LFO and i used a sin function, and i sent it a value between 0 and 1 to tell it where in the cycle to start, ie top going down, midle going down, midle going up, etc etc.

can i do this for the cycle~ i have? it can be this hard!!! thanks:)

May 4, 2007 at 6:25pm

Larry Ursini schrieb:
> this seems like it shouldnt be this hard. can i send the cycle~ a
> value to tell it where to start each time?

Yes, but asking it here before looking into the help file make people
believe you have a”real” problem…. ;-)

> can i do this for the cycle~ i have? it can be this hard!!! thanks:)

There is the right inlet to cycle~ that’s doing it. As you wish send it
as signal or float…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

May 8, 2007 at 10:31pm

so here is my patch, i was relutcant to post casue its a mess, as its my first patch, but i want it to work, so here!

everything seems to work, except the attack being right on the kick….

please help!

its also ready to go to be built to vst if you want to try that:)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.