Forums > MaxMSP

zigzag~ crossed with curve~ ?

October 23, 2009 | 3:30 pm

hi forum, does anybody know of a looping [line~] object that accepts signal-rate triggering (alå [zigzag~]), but can support exponential/logarithmic curves?
cheers
ol

October 24, 2009 | 10:48 am

thanks for the external, that will come in handy.

sorry if i wasn’t specific, but i was thinking along the lines of an external that accepts curved ramps as a list (like [curve~]), but that can then loop at a signal rate (like [zigzag~]).

have i identified a gap in the market?

October 24, 2009 | 11:26 am
Quote:

maybe yes. max’s support for ‘sophisticated’ envelopes is not the best, i’d say.
when the max5 skd came out, i was playing around with the new functions for bezier curves to write a gui external that does curvie envelopes. but when i wanted to do it right, implementing attribute support and making it pattr aware etc, i got bored and left it half working half crashing…

you could of course record [curve~]‘s output into a buffer and do all sorts of playback/loooping stuff.
or maybe have a look at [techno~]. help patch comes with a jsui-based curve editor. kind of awkward to control, though.
vb

October 24, 2009 | 12:27 pm
volker b�hm wrote on Sat, 24 October 2009 12:26
Quote:

you could of course record [curve~]‘s output into a buffer and do all sorts of playback/loooping stuff.
vb

this is what i’ve been doing actually, then scaling the -1. to 1. output of [wave~] to whatever range i want. it isn’t ideal but will do for now.

don’t really know jitter, but would there be a way to record signal data (outside this -1 – 1. range) into a matrix, and then read through it with [count~] or something.. hmm
im gonna go check

October 24, 2009 | 2:55 pm
Quote:
would there be a way to record signal data (outside this -1 – 1. range)

numbers stored in a buffer~ are 32bit floats, just like any msp signal. so you are in no way limited to -1/+1 range.
only when you plan to write the buffer contents to disk, you should make sure to choose 32-bit float format, otherwise the data will be clipped at -1/+1 and then converted to integer range.

October 24, 2009 | 3:24 pm

ahhhhhh
iv been believing in a myth all this time.
thanks for the enlightenment volker, i would’ve gone right round the houses before even trying the obvious.
problem solved

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)