LiveGrabber

The LiveGrabber plugins are a set of Max For Live plugins that send device and track parameters from Ableton Live to any device on the network that supports Open Sound Control (OSC).

stu
July 13, 2011 | 10:23 am

Looks cool! I want to move from midi to OSC for controlling Resolume. Does anyone know if tempo sync can be sent via OSC?

July 13, 2011 | 12:31 pm

Tempo sync can be sent via OSC but it’s not very common. Perhaps it’s time for a SetGrabber for all global Live parameters? :)

July 15, 2011 | 1:28 pm

@ stu Check these max4live devices I’ve developed last year for Resolume. They are specially made as an OSC bridge between Ableton and Resolume Avenue. Following the instructions of the Resolume team I’ve connected all the vital functions of Resolume Avenue to Ableton, tempo included if I remember correctly. Otherwise I have the tempo patch (m4l device) in my HD and I could habd it over to you. http://media.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6747 Let me know! Greetings, pandelisdiamantides@gmail.com

@ Mattijs I’ve received some e-mails asking me if we could connect our devices as to create a "more complete" (as they wrote) OSC bridge from Ableton to any other software/device. I never found enough free time to get into that but it looks like we could do something soon. Let me know if you have time for this! Greetings, pandelisdiamantides@gmail.com

July 15, 2011 | 1:32 pm

Just checked it out. Tempo is included :)

July 16, 2011 | 5:31 am

Heya Pandelis,

With tempo sync I imagine stu means actually making Resolume and Ableton play their beats and bars at the same time. When communicating the tempo and a resync on play start like in your patch, the apps might be synchronized initially but it misses a way to keep them running in sync for a longer time or when the tempo in ableton is changed during play.

Using OSC to make sure the apps continue to play in sync should be possible though, theoretically even more accurate than with a midi clock since OSC messages can carry time tags. But it would require a special implementation on Resolume’s side to take the time tags into account to sync their playhead accurately. Also, there would have to be a mechanism to adjust the slaved playhead to new sync info in an eased way rather than having a small time jump whenever a sync messages comes in.

Best,
Mattijs

Duncan Harris
July 17, 2011 | 11:00 am

Hi Mattijs, I msg’d Pandelis on the resolume forum over 7 months ago now, how time flys…:)
I’ve found that Pandelis ResolumeM4L devices need OSC & Bundles enabled @ Resolume preferences, but your devices only work with resolume with bundles disabled in Resolume.
Both used together, could eliminate the use of midi mostly between live and resolume hopefully :)
Syncing the playheads from ableton session view to resolume clips could best be solved using ms pinky method…?

July 20, 2011 | 3:36 pm

@ Matthijs: thanx for your reply. I will take a closer look to the available devices and see what I can do to improve them! Let you know when I have something.

@ Duncan: unfortunately time flies on busy times, indeed! I don’t remember if I replied to your message at Resolume forum. I have received quite some mail concerning those devices and I replied to those willing to build upon the devices. Unfortunately, I never heard anything back neither I saw anybody building upon the devices. Luckily Matthijs came with his tools and refresh my mind on that.

@ All: By no means I say that Matthijs builded upon my work. Maybe unnecessary to say – just to avoid any misunderstandings. I have to admit though that I am delighted seeing other people addressing similar tech issues.

July 21, 2011 | 9:57 am

Hi all,

A little surprise for Resolume-lovers; LiveGrabber-like plugins tuned for Resolume:

Please let me know on their forum if you have any feedback :)

Btw, no OSC tempo sync included, still need midi for that ;)

July 21, 2011 | 3:44 pm

Now we’re talking!.. ;)

August 2, 2011 | 6:07 am

Hi Mattjs
Thank you for these wonderful plugins, what you have created means osc via M4L to resolume is now very stable. and I am going to test it out at a big festival this weekend

October 26, 2011 | 11:07 am

Update: In version 2.7 you can now use Clip Envelopes to send out OSC by using the VoidGrabber plugin. Let me know if you run into any issues or new ideas!

Best,
Mattijs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)