Using the jit.rota object
jit.rota is great for scaling, rotating, and skewing 2D matrix data (i.e., video). It's also a great way to emulate old analog feedback processes, quickly mirror an image, or create a variety of kaleidoscopic effects.
- Jitter Tutorial 15: Image Rotation, provides a solid introduction to the basics of jit.rota. It covers zooming, rotation with a good discussion of the difference between degrees and radians, anchor and offset relationships, and boundmodes. It also shows a nice way to incorporate mouse interaction with the video displayed in a pwindow.
- ./examples/jitter-examples/3rd_Party/Cycle-delic.maxpat, by Adam Schabtaach, is a wonderful emulation of old analogue feedback systems. There a number of built-in preset states that leverage different functions of jit.rota.
- ./examples/jitter-examples/3rd_Party/autorota/autorota-demo.maxpat, by Joshua Goldberg, uses MSP oscillator data to drive various parameters of jit.rota.
- ./examples/jitter-examples/video/spatial/jit.rota-bgcolor.maxpat shows how to composite the output of jit.rota with a solid background color.
- ./examples/jitter-examples/video/spatial/jit.rota-feedback.maxpat is a great starter patch for doing jit.rota based video feedback. It also exposes some of the advanced attributes of jit.rota that allow you to skew the image in new ways.
- ./examples/jitter-examples/video/spatial/jit.rota-flowers.maxpat uses autorotation and scaling to create flower like forms from video input.
- ./examples/jitter-examples/video/spatial/jit.rota-pile.maxpat uses jit.rota and jit.chromakey to key the previous frame into each new one.
jit.rota Tips and Workarounds
Try replacing the jit.qt.movie output in any of the previous examples with a jit.grab for interactive fun!
You can also use jit.rota to manipulate matrix types other than standard video. This patch uses the @matrixoutput 1 feature of jit.gl.gridshape to manipulate the geometry and render it using a jit.gl.mesh object.
Third-Party Max externals similar to the jit.rota object
People who looked at/used this object also looked at....
- jit.mxform2 - spatial transform using a 3x3 matrix.
- jit.repos - repositions pixels using a spatial mapping matrix in second inlet.
- jit.resamp - spatially resamples input matrix for h/v scaling and offsetting.
- A number of examples in the ./examples/jitter-examples/gen folder perform scaling, rotating, skewing, and offset functions that are similar to those performed by jit.rota.
Errors or Clarifications
(please list things that you believe to be errors or omissions from the existing refpage)