bangs with your foot [novice]


    Oct 10 2007 | 2:36 am
    Hi All
    I just wanted a quick answer....
    I've been scouring the archives of everything that's been written re: foot control with maxmsp, and I think I want to buy the Roland FC 300.
    So the simple question: do the buttons do bangs [ctlin] or notein?
    thank you in advance.
    Dee

    • Oct 10 2007 | 3:04 am
      You can download the entire owner's manual from the page on Roland's
      website to get the specifics about what sort of data this unit is
      capable of sending: . The
      unit is very programmable, so you can get a variety of MIDI data into
      Max from it.
      FWIW this unit seems roughly comparable to the Behringer FC1010, wich
      is a lot cheaper. A big downside to both units is size and weight,
      assuming you want it for doing live gigs. I sold my FC1010 and
      replaced it with a Roland GFC-50 GFC-50/index.html> with 2 EV-5 foot pedals products/en/EV-5/index.html> and two DP-2 footswitches www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=53>. The
      result is the same basic functionality in a more portable package.
      On Oct 9, 2007, at 8:36 PM, David DeSoucey wrote:
      >
      > Hi All
      >
      > I just wanted a quick answer....
      >
      > I've been scouring the archives of everything that's been written
      > re: foot control with maxmsp, and I think I want to buy the Roland
      > FC 300.
      >
      > So the simple question: do the buttons do bangs [ctlin] or notein?
      >
      > thank you in advance.
      >
      >
      > Dee
      ----
      Steven M. Miller
      Professor, Contemporary Music Program
      College of Santa Fe
      Home
      SFIFEM
      Atrium Sound Space
      OVOS
      CMP
    • Oct 10 2007 | 5:57 am
      on the topic of this
      is there any company that makes a usb/bus powered footswitch?
      theres so many laptop giggers im surprised the usb thing hasnt
      migrated to footswitches as well
      the closest thing ive seen is the rig kontrol 2/3 from native
      instruments, but those are pricey, since they have built in audio
      interfaces
      id consider one of those if i was sure it would work with other
      software(it probably sends proprietary messages as apposed to midi)
      im in the process of modding a 10key num pad to be just that, but its
      silly that it doesnt exsist already
      On 10/10/07, Steven Miller wrote:
      > You can download the entire owner's manual from the page on Roland's
      > website to get the specifics about what sort of data this unit is
      > capable of sending: . The
      > unit is very programmable, so you can get a variety of MIDI data into
      > Max from it.
      >
      > FWIW this unit seems roughly comparable to the Behringer FC1010, wich
      > is a lot cheaper. A big downside to both units is size and weight,
      > assuming you want it for doing live gigs. I sold my FC1010 and
      > replaced it with a Roland GFC-50 > GFC-50/index.html> with 2 EV-5 foot pedals > products/en/EV-5/index.html> and two DP-2 footswitches > www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=53>. The
      > result is the same basic functionality in a more portable package.
      >
      >
      > On Oct 9, 2007, at 8:36 PM, David DeSoucey wrote:
      >
      > >
      > > Hi All
      > >
      > > I just wanted a quick answer....
      > >
      > > I've been scouring the archives of everything that's been written
      > > re: foot control with maxmsp, and I think I want to buy the Roland
      > > FC 300.
      > >
      > > So the simple question: do the buttons do bangs [ctlin] or notein?
      > >
      > > thank you in advance.
      > >
      > >
      > > Dee
      >
      > ----
      > Steven M. Miller
      > Professor, Contemporary Music Program
      > College of Santa Fe
      >
      > Home
      > SFIFEM
      > Atrium Sound Space
      > OVOS
      > CMP
      >
      >
      >
    • Oct 10 2007 | 9:03 pm
      >
      > is there any company that makes a usb/bus powered footswitch?
      >
      >
      Check out this:
      Here are some instructions for the DIY version:
      And there are expensive dictaphone switches like:
      Also, I'm still stomping on my powermate:
      mz
    • Oct 10 2007 | 9:32 pm
      My current performing rig is based on a hacked game controller, so when
      I wanted a foot-pedal I just picked up an old sustain-pedal at a flea
      market and soldered it in.
      My advice would be to read the article here:
      ...and buy yourself a pushbutton switch to solder into a joystick
      circuit. Old cheapo sustain pedals can usually be used to good effect
      in this way as well. Just remove the 1/4" plug and solder the wire
      leads in.
      Total cost will be less than $20US and will interface easily using the
      HI object.
      Best,
      Andrew B.
    • Oct 10 2007 | 10:40 pm
      ive looked at (some of) those options before, but i always figured
      there was a native/midi way to do it
      if your using usb/hi is there any difference in input device as far as
      latency goes?
      like would a modded game pad respond faster than a modded 10key num pad?
      i was going to buy a game pad, but i coudlnt find a decently cheap one
      on ebay that had enough buttons when i realized that those little usb
      num pads are tiny, and have oodles of buttons
      the mod project came to a halt when i had a hard time finding
      something to house the modded pad/footswitches in (i was going to go
      with 10 switches i believe, or 8, i dont remember now), i wanted
      something narrow, and relatively sturdy, and of course cheap
      has anyone rehoused osmething to allow for alot(5+) switches?
      for the actual switches i was going to use the ones used in the
      oberheim(gibson) echoplex footswitch, theyre cheap and responsive, and
      readily available (chosen by the designers for all of those reasons)
      rodrigo
      On 10/10/07, andrew benson wrote:
      > My current performing rig is based on a hacked game controller, so when
      > I wanted a foot-pedal I just picked up an old sustain-pedal at a flea
      > market and soldered it in.
      >
      > My advice would be to read the article here:
      >
      >
      >
      > ...and buy yourself a pushbutton switch to solder into a joystick
      > circuit. Old cheapo sustain pedals can usually be used to good effect
      > in this way as well. Just remove the 1/4" plug and solder the wire
      > leads in.
      >
      > Total cost will be less than $20US and will interface easily using the
      > HI object.
      >
      > Best,
      > Andrew B.
      >
    • Oct 10 2007 | 11:56 pm
      When it comes to enclosures, I find it generally pays to be resourceful
      and do a little DIY. In the past, I have repurposed old intercoms,
      radios, altoids tins, cookie tins, and cigar boxes. Sometimes a trip
      the container store or Tap Plastics is good for a little inspiration.
      Just make sure whatever you use is relatively easy to drill.
      Those project boxes you get from electronics suppliers are almost always
      overpriced.
      AB
    • Nov 07 2011 | 3:58 pm
      Bringing this post up again!
      I need to just send triggers via usb, and i'm considering buying a game-pedal like this:
      Does anybody know if it is simple or complicate to handle it within Max?
      Thanks!
      Daniele
    • Nov 07 2011 | 5:39 pm
      Oldschool post! It's funny to see as I'm now considering doing what I was considering doing 4 years ago.... (hacking a keypad into a footswitch).
      As far as I know the [hi] object should be able to get data off that just fine. There's plenty of dictation/page turning type things too if you want to check other sizes/features.
      It's a shame the softstep is so expensive, or that they don't make a velocity-free, button only version.
      USB + small + light = $$