cross platform OS-level commands


    Apr 12 2007 | 4:55 pm
    I currently am using mxj within a Pluggo to do some specific OS-level things:
    1) Make a directory 2) Retrieve path to current user's home directory
    With mxj and Java, this works nicely in a platform-independent way.
    My question: is there a way I can perform these tasks without reliance on Java? I know about Bill Orcutt's shell, but that's OS X only. And it looks like Francois Eudes' DOSHack for Windows is based on mxj (though I see some reference to a C version??)
    Thanks, Dan -- Dan Nigrin Defective Records 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction http://www.defectiverecords.com http://www.jackosx.com

    • Apr 15 2007 | 7:09 pm
      Any ideas??
      At 12:55 PM -0400 4/12/07, Dan Nigrin wrote: >I currently am using mxj within a Pluggo to do some specific OS-level things: > >1) Make a directory >2) Retrieve path to current user's home directory > >With mxj and Java, this works nicely in a platform-independent way. > >My question: is there a way I can perform these tasks without >reliance on Java? I know about Bill Orcutt's shell, but that's OS X >only. And it looks like Francois Eudes' DOSHack for Windows is >based on mxj (though I see some reference to a C version??) > >Thanks, >Dan
      -- Dan Nigrin Defective Records 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction http://www.defectiverecords.com http://www.jackosx.com
    • Apr 16 2007 | 8:06 am
    • Apr 17 2007 | 7:44 am
    • Apr 19 2007 | 7:47 am
      Dan Nigrin schrieb: > ; max launchbrowser file:///Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app (Mac) > or > ; max launchbrowser "file://C:/Program Files/Cycling '74/MaxMSP > 4.6/max.exe" (Windows) > > But no hope of passing arguments with it... too bad!!
      Usually there is no need to pass arguments, as on the easy operating system level users double click a file and never pass arguments. If you point to a file (not an application) it will open its associated application: xxx.pdf will open the assigned PDF reader and xxx.pat will eventually open Photoshop... ;-)
      Stefan
      -- Stefan Tiedje------------x------- --_____-----------|-------------- --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()------- -- _|_)----|-----()-------------- ----------()--------www.ccmix.com
    • Apr 19 2007 | 7:57 am
    • Apr 19 2007 | 11:24 am
      >>; max launchbrowser file:///Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app (Mac) >>or >>; max launchbrowser "file://C:/Program Files/Cycling '74/MaxMSP >>4.6/max.exe" (Windows) >> >>But no hope of passing arguments with it... too bad!! > >Usually there is no need to pass arguments, as on the easy operating >system level users double click a file and never pass arguments. If >you point to a file (not an application) it will open its associated >application: xxx.pdf will open the assigned PDF reader and xxx.pat >will eventually open Photoshop... ;-)
      Thanks Stefan - but you forget what my original tasks are:
      1) Make a directory 2) Retrieve path to current user's home directory
      I think you'll agree that I'll need to pass some arguments to an app to be able to do those things... -- Dan Nigrin Defective Records 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction http://www.defectiverecords.com http://www.jackosx.com
    • Apr 19 2007 | 8:01 pm
      what about mkdir by bill orcutt, and possibly getenv by Jasch?
    • Apr 19 2007 | 10:04 pm
      At 1:01 PM -0700 4/19/07, jamez wrote: >what about mkdir by bill orcutt
      Would've been perfect, but no UB Mac version available to my knowledge. In general Bill, are any of your Mac objects UB yet??
      >and possibly getenv by Jasch?
      The Mac version is dependent on shell, which again, is not UB yet I think...
      Thanks nonetheless for the suggestions...
      Dan -- Dan Nigrin Defective Records 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction http://www.defectiverecords.com http://www.jackosx.com
    • Apr 20 2007 | 7:03 am
      f.e schrieb: > Yes, but he needs to do "; max launchbrowser cmd.exe /a /c rm c:temp", > and it would be great he could.
      does cmd.exe understand scripts? maybe its possible to write a script and then call this script which would then call cmd.exe...
      In general all parameter passing to applications is part of a shell culture. And thus it will be platform/shell specific always... But it should be possible to create something like a shell command translator, which creates a script file which can be called by launchbrowser... Is there an extension which is assigned to cmd.exe on windows?
      Stefan
      -- Stefan Tiedje------------x------- --_____-----------|-------------- --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()------- -- _|_)----|-----()-------------- ----------()--------www.ccmix.com
    • Apr 20 2007 | 12:51 pm
      Interesting though guys, I'll give it a look.
      I may have found a workaround in the meantime anyway; one of my primary reasons in wanting to move away from the Java-based solution that I already use (and which works well), is that on Win I can't guarantee that there will be a Java environment on hand for my apps/plugins that I distribute. Relying on end-users to do so is asking for trouble, IMHO.
      So what I may do is use Windows-specific externals like mkdir and getenv, and then on the Mac side, stick with Java (since it's by default in OS X).
      Less elegant, but workable.
      Dan
      At 11:04 AM +0200 4/20/07, f.e wrote: >For sure. On Win box, Dan could write a simple text file saved as >.bat, then launch it from Max. Not sexy, but probably working.
      -- Dan Nigrin Defective Records 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction http://www.defectiverecords.com http://www.jackosx.com
    • Apr 20 2007 | 1:32 pm
      if you like, you could try my new [getpaths] on OS X and [getenv] on XP
      www.jasch.ch/dl/beta/getpaths_20070420.zip
      cheers
      /*j
      On 20/04/2007, at 14:51:28, Dan Nigrin wrote:
      > Interesting though guys, I'll give it a look. > > I may have found a workaround in the meantime anyway; one of my > primary reasons in wanting to move away from the Java-based > solution that I already use (and which works well), is that on Win > I can't guarantee that there will be a Java environment on hand for > my apps/plugins that I distribute. Relying on end-users to do so > is asking for trouble, IMHO. > > So what I may do is use Windows-specific externals like mkdir and > getenv, and then on the Mac side, stick with Java (since it's by > default in OS X). > > Less elegant, but workable. > > Dan > > At 11:04 AM +0200 4/20/07, f.e wrote: >> For sure. On Win box, Dan could write a simple text file saved >> as .bat, then launch it from Max. Not sexy, but probably working. > > -- > Dan Nigrin > Defective Records > 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X / > Major Malfunction > http://www.defectiverecords.com > http://www.jackosx.com >
    • Apr 20 2007 | 1:51 pm
      Very nice Jasch, will take a look.
      I presume your "_" object/abstraction is just "prepend set"?
      Thanks, Dan
      At 3:32 PM +0200 4/20/07, jasch wrote: >if you like, you could try my new [getpaths] on OS X and [getenv] on XP > >www.jasch.ch/dl/beta/getpaths_20070420.zip > >cheers > >/*j
      -- Dan Nigrin Defective Records 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction http://www.defectiverecords.com http://www.jackosx.com
    • Apr 20 2007 | 2:16 pm
      x-actly
      > I presume your "_" object/abstraction is just "prepend set"?