fire-1 400 woes

Jan 16 2007 | 8:41 pm
    Hi jitterers!
    I'm working with a fire-i 400 from Unibrain, and an XP machine. Never again after this project though, I swear it. The camera keeps shutting itself off after an indeterminate amount of time (it varies from 36 hours to 4 hours).
    This has happened with both the Windows drivers and the fire-i drivers. Currently, I'm working with the windows drivers, surprisingly enough, they seem less wonky.
    I have adapted a somewhat brute force method to keeping it open, sending a close/open message every hour between 8am & 8pm, and sending close once at 830pm. While this works, it's obviously not ideal.
    Can someone suggest a more elegant solution to this rather mundane issue? Most of the time there is no movement in front of the camera, so looking for a lack of change isn't the best solution.
    Thanks
    ~s

• Jan 16 2007 | 10:59 pm
      you know
      they were remarkably nice when I called them trying to work something out a couple of years ago - I would call them and see if they can help you
      the person I spoke with was seriously on the ball and one of the nicest tech support interactions I've ever had - plus they let me return my equipment in exchange for other equipment at no charge etc
      so - hey why not...
      best of luck jamie
      ----- Original Message ---- From: Scott Fitzgerald Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:41:05 PM Subject: [jitter] fire-1 400 woes
      Hi jitterers!
      I'm working with a fire-i 400 from Unibrain, and an XP machine. Never again after this project though, I swear it. The camera keeps shutting itself off after an indeterminate amount of time (it varies from 36 hours to 4 hours).
      This has happened with both the Windows drivers and the fire-i drivers. Currently, I'm working with the windows drivers, surprisingly enough, they seem less wonky.
      I have adapted a somewhat brute force method to keeping it open, sending a close/open message every hour between 8am & 8pm, and sending close once at 830pm. While this works, it's obviously not ideal.
      Can someone suggest a more elegant solution to this rather mundane issue? Most of the time there is no movement in front of the camera, so looking for a lack of change isn't the best solution.
      Thanks
      ~s
    • Jan 23 2007 | 2:16 pm
      hey dude.
      Could be a hardware issue, either with the camera itself or the XP machine. Is the camera powered externally? I guess so, because most PCs don't have powered firewire ports, but if this one does, I'd bet that is the cause. Maybe there is a power-saving option somewhere that turns off the port after some time? Or motherboard issues. Otherwise, there was a problem with bad chips in the cameras last year, maybe this is a remnant from that, and you need a new camera. I second the idea to call tech support, I've had good experiences with unibrain's support.
      -ev
      On Jan 16, 2007, at 8:41 PM, Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
      > Hi jitterers! > > I'm working with a fire-i 400 from Unibrain, and an XP machine. Never > again after this project though, I swear it. The camera keeps > shutting itself off after an indeterminate amount of time (it varies > from 36 hours to 4 hours). > > This has happened with both the Windows drivers and the fire-i > drivers. Currently, I'm working with the windows drivers, > surprisingly enough, they seem less wonky. > > I have adapted a somewhat brute force method to keeping it open, > sending a close/open message every hour between 8am & 8pm, and sending > close once at 830pm. While this works, it's obviously not ideal. > > Can someone suggest a more elegant solution to this rather mundane > issue? Most of the time there is no movement in front of the camera, > so looking for a lack of change isn't the best solution. > > Thanks > > ~s