forcing jit.window to black


    Apr 08 2008 | 6:41 am
    I am making a video player and want to be able to force the jit.window to black. I know that it can be done easily on a jit.pwindow, but I am using a jit.window. There are klugey ways to do it, but I am wondering what people think are the most elegant.
    Thanks.
    sasha.

    • Apr 08 2008 | 7:27 am
      Are you using opengl?
      wes
      On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:41 AM, Sasha Harris-Cronin
      wrote:
      >
      > I am making a video player and want to be able to force the jit.window to black. I know that it can be done easily on a jit.pwindow, but I am using a jit.window. There are klugey ways to do it, but I am wondering what people think are the most elegant.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > sasha.
      > --
      > --- sasha harris-cronin ----
      > -- sasha@mortalspaces.com --
      > --- www.mortalspaces.com ---
      >
    • Apr 08 2008 | 1:02 pm
      i use a bline powering a jit.op @op * for a slow dimmer.
      On Apr 8, 2008, at 2:41 AM, Sasha Harris-Cronin wrote:
      >
      > I am making a video player and want to be able to force the
      > jit.window to black. I know that it can be done easily on a
      > jit.pwindow, but I am using a jit.window. There are klugey ways to
      > do it, but I am wondering what people think are the most elegant.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > sasha.
      > --
      > --- sasha harris-cronin ----
      > -- sasha@mortalspaces.com --
      > --- www.mortalspaces.com ---
    • Apr 08 2008 | 3:29 pm
      No, I'm not using openGL currently.
      sasha.
    • Apr 08 2008 | 3:32 pm
      I'm definitely looking for a cut to black. This will be in response to an external command.
      sasha.
    • Apr 08 2008 | 5:43 pm
      eh, depends...
      what's playing in yer window?
      you can alwaqys just send it a "black" matrix (one with all cells set
      to 0 either by default or by "setall 0 0 0 0" msg to it)
      On Apr 8, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Sasha Harris-Cronin wrote:
      >
      > I'm definitely looking for a cut to black. This will be in
      > response to an external command.
      >
      > sasha.
      > --
      > --- sasha harris-cronin ----
      > -- sasha@mortalspaces.com --
      > --- www.mortalspaces.com ---
    • Apr 08 2008 | 8:16 pm
      can't you also just send the matrix a "0"? I believe that should work too.
      andreas
      evan.raskob [lists] skrev:
      > eh, depends...
      > what's playing in yer window?
      > you can alwaqys just send it a "black" matrix (one with all cells set
      > to 0 either by default or by "setall 0 0 0 0" msg to it)
      >
      >
      >
      > On Apr 8, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Sasha Harris-Cronin wrote:
      >
      >>
      >> I'm definitely looking for a cut to black. This will be in response
      >> to an external command.
      >>
      >> sasha.
      >> --
      >> --- sasha harris-cronin ----
      >> -- sasha@mortalspaces.com --
      >> --- www.mortalspaces.com ---
      >
      >
      > .
      >
    • Apr 08 2008 | 8:25 pm
      As people have pointed out, there are many ways to do this. By far
      the fastest and highest quality solution will be to use opengl with
      jit.gl.videoplane. You can get a real simple fade to black by
      enabling blending and setting the alpha to 0.
      wes
      On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Andreas Wetterberg
      wrote:
      > can't you also just send the matrix a "0"? I believe that should work too.
      >
      > andreas
      >
      > evan.raskob [lists] skrev:
      >
      >
      >
      > > eh, depends...
      > > what's playing in yer window?
      > > you can alwaqys just send it a "black" matrix (one with all cells set to 0
      > either by default or by "setall 0 0 0 0" msg to it)
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > > On Apr 8, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Sasha Harris-Cronin wrote:
      > >
      > >
      > > >
      > > > I'm definitely looking for a cut to black. This will be in response to
      > an external command.
      > > >
      > > > sasha.
      > > > --
      > > > --- sasha harris-cronin ----
      > > > -- sasha@mortalspaces.com --
      > > > --- www.mortalspaces.com ---
      > > >
      > >
      > >
      > > .
      > >
      > >
      >
      >
    • Apr 08 2008 | 9:16 pm
      I'm playing back a straight quicktime movie. Since I'm looking for a cut (not a fade), it sounds like creating a black matrix and sending it to the window is probably the way to go.
      It'd be useful to actually have that as a window property. I can think of several instances where I would want to blank a window.
      Thanks all.
      sasha.
    • Apr 08 2008 | 9:25 pm
      > It'd be useful to actually have that as a window property. I can think of several instances where I would want to blank a window.
      Perhaps, but I would call this feature creep. It's way to easy to do
      without such an attribute to merit its addition.
      wes
    • Apr 08 2008 | 9:29 pm
      I guess it's because I come from a hardware perspective, so I am viewing this as a player/screen. Every hardware video player (and just about every projector and screen) that I work with has a "video black" feature and we use it pretty extensively. To me, it's just standard.
      I don't really care. It's not a big deal.
      sasha.
    • Apr 08 2008 | 9:48 pm
      my solution to this and other problems was to create a QT player
      patch that has drop file, color & contrast control, scrub bar, audio
      level control, speed control and fade & cut to black with audio
      follow. slap it in a bpatcher and you're off. i found out quickly
      that building your own "hardware" was pretty great.
      b
      On Apr 8, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Sasha Harris-Cronin wrote:
      >
      > I guess it's because I come from a hardware perspective, so I am
      > viewing this as a player/screen. Every hardware video player (and
      > just about every projector and screen) that I work with has a
      > "video black" feature and we use it pretty extensively. To me,
      > it's just standard.
      >
      > Not a big deal.
      >
      > sasha.
      > --
      > --- sasha harris-cronin ----
      > -- sasha@mortalspaces.com --
      > --- www.mortalspaces.com ---
      bruce tovsky
      www.skeletonhome.com
      "Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane."
      Philip K. Dick
    • Apr 08 2008 | 11:51 pm
      This is a very simple solution, and I don't think it's a kludge. Seems pretty normal to me, maybe even simple enough to be "elegant".
      Adam
      max v2;
    • Apr 10 2008 | 11:13 pm
      Strangely, in my original patch, something was causing the window to buffer the last frame, so "clear" to jit.qt.movie was not clearing the window. I need to do a little digging around to see why.
      sasha.
    • Jun 01 2013 | 9:54 pm
      this is still a stupid-hard problem to solve. and no, you cannot just send a '0'. trying to figure out how to use gl...but seems so ridiculous, just to cut to black for a bit! 'clear' isn't working on jit.window.
    • Jun 02 2013 | 12:19 pm
      What's hard about sending a full black matrix, or crossfading to one?
    • Jun 02 2013 | 7:04 pm
      Try this: