groove~ and buffer~ bang when finished playing audio


    Mar 19 2006 | 4:20 am
    I am using groove~ and buffer~ in conjunction with the folder object and I need a bang when an audio file is done being played as in sfplay~. Any ideas?
    Jeff

    • Mar 19 2006 | 8:11 am
      something like this maybe.
      max v2;
      Jonathan Segel 4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
      jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com magsatellite@yahoo.com
    • Mar 19 2006 | 10:05 am
      acdcvc wrote:
      > I am using groove~ and buffer~ in conjunction with the folder object
      > and I need a bang when an audio file is done being played as in
      > sfplay~. Any ideas? Jeff
      This is the most save and clear way I know...
      Stefan
      --
      [][] [][][] [][] [][][]
      [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
      Stefan Tiedje
      Klanggestalter
      Electronic Composition
      &
      Improvisation
      /~~~~~
      \ /|() ()|
      ))))) )| | |( \
      /// _/)/ )))))
      ___/ ///
      -------------------------x----
      --_____-----------|-----------
      --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()----
      -- _|_)----|-----()-----------
      ----------()------------x-----
      14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt,
      94320 Thiais, France
      Phone at CCMIX +33-1-57 42 91 09
    • Mar 19 2006 | 1:16 pm
      both of these responses are very helpful but only if all of the files are the same length. i currently have the buffer~ size set at 40000 to play short and long files of varying lengths. is there anyway to dynamically set the buffer~ size for each file that is loaded in from a folder object so there will be a bang at the end of each unique file? or is there another way to do it?
      thanks much.
      jeff
    • Mar 19 2006 | 1:47 pm
      the "replace" message resizes the buffer to the new sample length.
      extensively covered in the help-file.
      minimum reading-skills required though ;-)
      h
      hans w. koch
      im krahnenhof 11
      d-50668 koeln
      +49-221-554902
      www.hans-w-koch.net
    • Mar 19 2006 | 3:42 pm
      all of the above works great for a while then i start to get bangs ahead of the actual playing time of the audio file.
      jeff
    • Mar 20 2006 | 2:46 am
      it is much easier than my suggested mess (admittedly taken out of
      context from somewhere where i needed to know where we were in the
      sample) but it only works if the loop flag on groove~ is set, yeah?
      otherwise it won't loop back to zero for edge~.
      i'm actually discovering weirdness in my msp app looking at this,
      checking the box or messaging a value to run sig~ isn't working to
      drive groove~ all the time. it seems to decide when to actually play
      sometime later... if at all. eventually no playback, even the groove~
      helpfile...
      just installed pluggo 3.5.4 and reinstalled max 4.5.7
      hmmm.
      Jonathan Segel 4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
      jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com magsatellite@yahoo.com
    • Mar 20 2006 | 9:57 am
      i've had a similar problem,- when groove~ is trying to find his looppoints after the buffer~ is resized..... I have no idea why this is happening, but sending a 'set' message to the groove~ everytime the buffer~ is resized seems to fix the problem ??
    • Mar 20 2006 | 11:34 am
      Jonathan Segel wrote:
      > it is much easier than my suggested mess (admittedly taken out of
      > context from somewhere where i needed to know where we were in the
      > sample) but it only works if the loop flag on groove~ is set, yeah?
      > otherwise it won't loop back to zero for edge~.
      yes, if you don't loop, you just need to check for the end value, which
      is 1. [>=~ 1]. In the loop contect you mostly miss the 1. and won't get
      a bang always.
      Sometimes it seems even better to do the loop by waiting for the
      position outlet reach 1. and then retrigger the groove~, but that would
      create a loop which is not sample accurate... dependes on the context.
      > i'm actually discovering weirdness in my msp app looking at this,
      > checking the box or messaging a value to run sig~ isn't working to
      > drive groove~ all the time.
      You have to reposition it, if you do not send a 0. (as float) to
      groove~, it will remain with its play head at the end.
      Stefan
      --
      [][] [][][] [][] [][][]
      [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
      Stefan Tiedje
      Klanggestalter
      Electronic Composition
      &
      Improvisation
      /~~~~~
      \ /|() ()|
      ))))) )| | |( \
      /// _/)/ )))))
      ___/ ///
      -------------------------x----
      --_____-----------|-----------
      --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()----
      -- _|_)----|-----()-----------
      ----------()------------x-----
      14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt,
      94320 Thiais, France
      Phone at CCMIX +33-1-57 42 91 09
    • Mar 20 2006 | 11:56 am
      I posted this issue not too long ago, if you switch on/off audio it also
      gets the new info. I guess its a bug, its still calculating with the old
      size.
      Thanks for the tip with set, because switching on/off audio is never a
      solution.
      Stefan
      --
      [][] [][][] [][] [][][]
      [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
      Stefan Tiedje
      Klanggestalter
      Electronic Composition
      &
      Improvisation
      /~~~~~
      \ /|() ()|
      ))))) )| | |( \
      /// _/)/ )))))
      ___/ ///
      -------------------------x----
      --_____-----------|-----------
      --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()----
      -- _|_)----|-----()-----------
      ----------()------------x-----
      14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt,
      94320 Thiais, France
      Phone at CCMIX +33-1-57 42 91 09
    • Mar 20 2006 | 1:25 pm
      Thanks for all of the responses. I've noticed that it is buggy for files larger than say 5 seconds. Could there be a reason for this? Sending set to groove~ does nothing. Yes, turning off/on audio seems to rest it but of course this is very impractical.
      jeff
    • Mar 20 2006 | 1:36 pm
      are u sending 'set buffername' ?
    • Mar 20 2006 | 2:05 pm
      sending 'set buffername' to groove~ each time brings everything to a halt............
      jeff
    • Mar 20 2006 | 9:31 pm
      acdcvc wrote:
      > Thanks for all of the responses. I've noticed that it is buggy for
      > files larger than say 5 seconds. Could there be a reason for this?
      Yes, a bug in your patch (if you want more details send in the patch).
      Stefan
      --
      [][] [][][] [][] [][][]
      [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
      Stefan Tiedje
      Klanggestalter
      Electronic Composition
      &
      Improvisation
      /~~~~~
      \ /|() ()|
      ))))) )| | |( \
      /// _/)/ )))))
      ___/ ///
      -------------------------x----
      --_____-----------|-----------
      --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()----
      -- _|_)----|-----()-----------
      ----------()------------x-----
      14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt,
      94320 Thiais, France
      Phone at CCMIX +33-1-57 42 91 09
    • Mar 21 2006 | 12:32 pm
    • Mar 23 2006 | 7:58 pm
      Thanks for all of the above help. I appreciate all of your time very much. Unfortunately, I have not resolved the original problem. I am using groove~ and buffer~ along with the folder object and I need a bang when an audio file is finished being played as in sfplay~. The audio files are various lengths from approx. 3-60 seconds. My patch works for a while but then I start to get bangs before files are actually finished playing, especially for files over 5 seconds. I notice the same thing happens for Jonathan Segel's patch offered here. Are there any more ideas or suggestions?
      Jeffrey Krieger
    • Mar 26 2006 | 10:52 am
      acdcvc wrote:
      > Thanks for all of the above help. I appreciate all of your time very
      > much. Unfortunately, I have not resolved the original problem. I am
      > using groove~ and buffer~ along with the folder object and I need a
      > bang when an audio file is finished being played as in sfplay~. The
      > audio files are various lengths from approx. 3-60 seconds. My patch
      > works for a while but then I start to get bangs before files are
      > actually finished playing, especially for files over 5 seconds.
      All working possibilities have been posted as far as I remember, not all
      are necessarily appropriate. Now its time to understand how they work!
      Its up to you, to do this part of the work (yes its work). Then you will
      be able to solve your problems (This I can even promise... ;-)
      sorry for being not more helpfull, but I just guess you still want to
      patch it yourself...
      Stefan
      --
      [][] [][][] [][] [][][]
      [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
      Stefan Tiedje
      Klanggestalter
      Electronic Composition
      &
      Improvisation
      /~~~~~
      \ /|() ()|
      ))))) )| | |( \
      /// _/)/ )))))
      ___/ ///
      -------------------------x----
      --_____-----------|-----------
      --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()----
      -- _|_)----|-----()-----------
      ----------()------------x-----
      14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt,
      94320 Thiais, France
      Phone at CCMIX +33-1-57 42 91 09