How do I get the Windows machine serial number?


    Oct 18 2006 | 8:19 pm
    So, I am trying to implement a simple copy-protect scheme, and on the Mac I am getting the serial number of the computer nicely, but on Windows the only things that I am finding are shells that require first installing the Java runtime evironment, which I can do but I don't want to require my users to do.
    Does anyone have a neat trick for getting the PC machine serial number from within Max/msp without having to load external environments?

    • Oct 18 2006 | 8:53 pm
      You are trying to get the "machine serial number" or "windows serial number"? I'm asking because as far as I know, ordinary PC's do not have serial numbers. But you can get a mixture of hard disk serial, Ethernet MAC adress and things like that, to make it a combined unique number.
      Hope I'm not away from your point. Good luck.
    • Oct 18 2006 | 11:31 pm
      >> But you can get a mixture of hard disk serial, Ethernet MAC adress and things like that, to make it a combined unique number.
      Yes, that is what I am looking for! Anything that would uniquely (within reason!) identify the machine that my program is running on. Do you know how to do this?
    • Oct 19 2006 | 4:37 pm
      Sorry I can not help you, but could you tell me how
      can I get the serial number in Mac? Thanks
      --- Andy Smith wrote:
      >
      > So, I am trying to implement a simple copy-protect
      > scheme, and on the Mac I am getting the serial
      > number of the computer nicely, but on Windows the
      > only things that I am finding are shells that
      > require first installing the Java runtime
      > evironment, which I can do but I don't want to
      > require my users to do.
      >
      > Does anyone have a neat trick for getting the PC
      > machine serial number from within Max/msp without
      > having to load external environments?
      > --
      > ---------
      > MaxMSP 4.6.2, Pluggo runtime 3.6, Mac G4 Powerbook
      > OSX 10.4.7, Digital Performer 5.1
      >
      Do You Yahoo!?
      Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
    • Oct 19 2006 | 10:27 pm
      I am using the ideas from a patch caled report_machine_serial.pat. It works great, using the Shell patch.
      boo.mi2.hr/~klif/private/report_machine_serial.pat
    • Oct 21 2006 | 7:52 am
      f.e chanfrault | aka | personal computer music
      > >>>>>> http://www.personal-computer-music.com
      > >>>>>> |sublime music for a desperate people|
      Andy Smith wrote:
      > So, I am trying to implement a simple copy-protect scheme, and on the Mac I am getting the serial number of the computer nicely, but on Windows the only things that I am finding are shells that require first installing the Java runtime evironment, which I can do but I don't want to require my users to do.
      >
      I can port my java shell externals to C, if it may help...
      f.e
      > Does anyone have a neat trick for getting the PC machine serial number from within Max/msp without having to load external environments?
      > --
      > ---------
      > MaxMSP 4.6.2, Pluggo runtime 3.6, Mac G4 Powerbook OSX 10.4.7, Digital Performer 5.1
      >
      >
    • Oct 21 2006 | 7:58 am
      /usr/bin/bash: system_profiler: command not found
      seems it's not emulated on win...
      f.e
      f.e chanfrault | aka | personal computer music
      > >>>>>> http://www.personal-computer-music.com
      > >>>>>> |sublime music for a desperate people|
      Andy Smith wrote:
      > I am using the ideas from a patch caled report_machine_serial.pat. It works great, using the Shell patch.
      >
      > boo.mi2.hr/~klif/private/report_machine_serial.pat
      > --
      > ---------
      > MaxMSP 4.6.2, Pluggo runtime 3.6, Mac G4 Powerbook OSX 10.4.7, Digital Performer 5.1
      >
      >
    • Oct 21 2006 | 9:18 am
      On Oct 21, 2006, at 9:58 AM, f.e wrote:
      > /usr/bin/bash: system_profiler: command not found
      >
      > seems it's not emulated on win...
      >
      > f.e
      yes, because shell is calling System profiler, which is application
      that ships with every macintosh. I don't know any other way to get
      the serial number.
      Shell is a free external, but probably it comes with some kind of
      usage restrictions. I don't know if it can be used in commercial
      standalones??
      Maybe someone makes free software that is copy protected ;)
      For win platform you should explore externals available here.
      In fact, it is more important to explore if windows shell/dos/
      whatever provides a way to get some machine specific info. That is
      what i did when i was exploring the shell external. Info came from
      various osx/unix support sites, not from the shell developer.