How to make a video out of images?


    Oct 07 2006 | 3:57 pm
    Hi!
    I'm currently learning Max at school and I have this little idea in mind but I don't know how to do it (although it's probably very simple).
    What I'd like to do is use the LCD to allow the user to draw something, and every one second or so a screenshot of the drawing is recorded, and then all those screenshots are presented together as a Quicktime movie.
    But how would you tell Max to record the drawing, that is the question...
    Any idea?
    Jennifer

    • Oct 07 2006 | 5:03 pm
      send "writepict" to lcd to collect the images. connect [metro 1000] to writepict to automate it.
      i used http://www.chaoticsoftware.com/ProductPages/QuickMovie.html to make movies from lcd generated images
      p
      Jenn S wrote: > Hi! > > I'm currently learning Max at school and I have this little idea in mind but I don't know how to do it (although it's probably very simple). > > What I'd like to do is use the LCD to allow the user to draw something, and every one second or so a screenshot of the drawing is recorded, and then all those screenshots are presented together as a Quicktime movie. > > But how would you tell Max to record the drawing, that is the question... > > Any idea? > > Jennifer > >
    • Oct 07 2006 | 6:42 pm
      If you have any recent version of QuickTime, QuickMovie is redundant. To make a movie with a folder full of images in series, open QuickTime Player and open the first picture in the series, QuickTime automatically asks you if you want to load the sequence.
      Just realized that may only be with QuickTime Pro though. if you don't have that, you may need something like QuickMovie, I don't know.
      I think the question was about doing this all inside of Max though. Since I am a complete newb, I can't answer that part.
      Ian
      On Oct 7, 2006, at 10.03 am, pure@test.at wrote:
      > send "writepict" to lcd to collect the images. connect [metro 1000] > to writepict to automate it. > > i used http://www.chaoticsoftware.com/ProductPages/QuickMovie.html > to make movies from lcd generated images > > p > > Jenn S wrote: >> Hi! >> I'm currently learning Max at school and I have this little idea >> in mind but I don't know how to do it (although it's probably very >> simple). What I'd like to do is use the LCD to allow the user to >> draw something, and every one second or so a screenshot of the >> drawing is recorded, and then all those screenshots are presented >> together as a Quicktime movie. >> But how would you tell Max to record the drawing, that is the >> question... >> Any idea? >> Jennifer
    • Oct 08 2006 | 12:00 am
      Ian Page-Echols wrote: > If you have any recent version of QuickTime, QuickMovie is redundant.
      i think quickmovie is more comfortable
      > To make a movie with a folder full of images in series, open QuickTime > Player and open the first picture in the series, QuickTime > automatically asks you if you want to load the sequence.
      really? didnt work with mine in 2min trying...
      > > Just realized that may only be with QuickTime Pro though. if you don't > have that, you may need something like QuickMovie, I don't know. > > I think the question was about doing this all inside of Max though. > Since I am a complete newb, I can't answer that part.
      i wouldnt know of any way to do this inside max without jitter or softvns
      p
    • Oct 08 2006 | 2:59 am
      Oops, yeah, they changed it at some point. That was the way it worked, now there is an extra menu item "open image sequence". Just choose the first image and it will ask how many frames per second to make the resulting movie clip.
      On Oct 7, 2006, at 5.00 pm, pure@test.at wrote:
      > Ian Page-Echols wrote: >> If you have any recent version of QuickTime, QuickMovie is >> redundant. > > i think quickmovie is more comfortable > >> To make a movie with a folder full of images in series, open >> QuickTime Player and open the first picture in the series, >> QuickTime automatically asks you if you want to load the sequence. > > really? didnt work with mine in 2min trying... > >> Just realized that may only be with QuickTime Pro though. if you >> don't have that, you may need something like QuickMovie, I don't >> know. >> I think the question was about doing this all inside of Max >> though. Since I am a complete newb, I can't answer that part. > > i wouldnt know of any way to do this inside max without jitter or > softvns > > p
    • Oct 08 2006 | 6:13 am
      Ian Page-Echols wrote: > Oops, yeah, they changed it at some point. That was the way it worked, > now there is an extra menu item "open image sequence". Just choose the > first image and it will ask how many frames per second to make the > resulting movie clip.
      thats how far i came in my 2 min :) but quicktime then didnt use the other files in this folder for the remaining frames. ah well...
      p
    • Oct 08 2006 | 6:40 am
      Quote: Jennska wrote on Sat, 07 October 2006 08:57 ----------------------------------------------------
      > I'm currently learning Max at school
      your school certainly ( or hopefully ) has jitter as well which in that case you could directly use jit.lcd instead of lcd and record your sequence of drawings with jit.qt.record.
      otherwise if yo want to use lcd , send the message "writepict" as mentionned earlier . you can compile your sequence of images choosing from two jitter patches delivered in the "jitter examples" folder :
      - image2movies ( in "demos" folder ) - packpicts ( in video/quicktime )
      so hopefully your school has jitter so it will make your life a little easier. good luck
    • Oct 08 2006 | 7:11 am
      Quicktime has some issues with image sequence names.
      make sure your images are named something like
      001.jpg 002.jpg
      or the like.
      it works,
      v a d e //
      www.vade.info abstrakt.vade.info
      On Oct 8, 2006, at 2:13 AM, pure@test.at wrote:
      > > > Ian Page-Echols wrote: >> Oops, yeah, they changed it at some point. That was the way it >> worked, now there is an extra menu item "open image sequence". >> Just choose the first image and it will ask how many frames per >> second to make the resulting movie clip. > > thats how far i came in my 2 min :) but quicktime then didnt use > the other files in this folder for the remaining frames. ah well... > > p
    • Oct 08 2006 | 7:41 am
      why not using jit.qt.record than u can do it within max itself
    • Oct 08 2006 | 12:31 pm
    • Oct 12 2006 | 8:01 pm
      Thanks everyone.
      I tried both, the Jitter one was a little too hard for a beginner, though it looked interesting from what I've tried. There are just too many parameters I don't understand yet.
      As for the regular LCD, how would you convince "writepict" to write them as 001, 002, 003, etc?
    • Oct 12 2006 | 11:28 pm
      this will help you, check the help files about the objects you will find in this patch, such as [counter] to count (001,002, 003...), [sprintf] to set a message dynamically, [relativepath] to get the path of your destination folder , etc...
      good luck
    • Oct 13 2006 | 6:49 am
      Jenn S wrote: > Thanks everyone. > > I tried both, the Jitter one was a little too hard for a beginner, though it looked interesting from what I've tried. There are just too many parameters I don't understand yet. > > As for the regular LCD, how would you convince "writepict" to write them as 001, 002, 003, etc?
      writepict harddisk:/folder/001.pict
      you could use the [date] object to construct unique filenames that follow each other (helpful if you then load them into quickmovie)
      p
    • Nov 07 2006 | 8:04 pm
      Quote: (karrrlo) wrote on Thu, 12 October 2006 19:28 ---------------------------------------------------- > this will help you, check the help files about the objects you will find in this patch, such as [counter] to count (001,002, 003...), [sprintf] to set a message dynamically, [relativepath] to get the path of your destination folder , etc... > > good luck > #P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.; > #P window linecount 3; > #P comment 918 581 100 196617 view the final message to write picts; > #P window linecount 1; > #P comment 897 472 100 196617 view the proper path; > #P window linecount 3; > #P comment 724 333 100 196617 2. then store them as you creat new picts; > #P window linecount 1; > #P message 43 276 33 196617 clear; > #P newex 745 436 27 196617 t b i; > #N counter; > #X flags 0 0; > #P newobj 745 414 66 196617 counter; > #P button 745 373 34 0; > #P message 620 579 294 196617 writepict !goldie:/Graphicdesign/imageBank/chavez/006.pict; > #P newex 619 557 62 196617 prepend set; > #P newex 619 535 152 196617 sprintf writepict %s00%ld.pict; > #P newex 590 428 76 196617 opendialog fold; > #P message 660 472 236 196617 !goldie:/Graphicdesign/imageBank/chavez/; > #P newex 659 452 62 196617 prepend set; > #P button 590 387 30 0; > #P newex 590 450 65 196617 relativepath; > #P message 567 214 195 196617 writepict 003.pict; > #P newex 567 194 62 196617 prepend set; > #P number 644 139 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0; > #N counter; > #X flags 0 0; > #P newobj 567 139 66 196617 counter; > #P button 567 98 34 0; > #P newex 567 166 138 196617 sprintf writepict 00%ld.pict; > #P comment 606 99 100 196617 bang to write; > #P message 161 277 195 196617 writepict 009.pict; > #P newex 161 257 62 196617 prepend set; > #P number 72 173 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0; > #P newex 63 105 27 196617 i; > #P newex 63 134 27 196617 + 1; > #P button 33 63 34 0; > #P newex 83 234 138 196617 sprintf writepict 00%ld.pict; > #P user lcd 83 313 232 226 1 1 0 0 0; > #P window linecount 2; > #P comment 360 276 100 196617 view the actual message; > #P window linecount 1; > #P comment 72 64 100 196617 bang to write; > #P window linecount 4; > #P comment 223 202 100 196617 check [sprintf] object , it will b one of your good friends to write messages ; ); > #P window linecount 3; > #P comment 623 290 100 196617 this will help you to set the right folder for your picts :; > #P window linecount 4; > #P comment 489 449 100 196617 use [relativepath] to find out about the path of your destination folder; > #P window linecount 2; > #P comment 561 70 100 196617 another way to do it using [counter]; > #P comment 588 358 100 196617 1. choose a folder for your picts; > #P connect 10 0 12 0; > #P fasten 10 0 11 1 68 161 108 161 108 96 85 96; > #P fasten 10 0 8 0 68 209 88 209; > #P connect 27 0 7 0; > #P connect 27 0 28 0; > #P connect 8 0 7 0; > #P connect 8 0 13 0; > #P connect 33 0 7 0; > #P connect 22 0 27 0; > #P connect 22 0 24 0; > #P connect 18 0 16 0; > #P connect 18 0 19 0; > #P fasten 32 0 27 0 750 496 624 496; > #P connect 32 1 27 1; > #P connect 31 0 32 0; > #P connect 30 0 31 0; > #P connect 28 0 29 0; > #P connect 23 0 26 0; > #P connect 26 0 22 0; > #P connect 24 0 25 0; > #P connect 16 0 20 0; > #P connect 20 0 21 0; > #P connect 17 0 18 0; > #P connect 13 0 14 0; > #P connect 9 0 11 0; > #P connect 11 0 10 0; > #P window clipboard copycount 37; > ----------------------------------------------------
      I tried this, and I admit it's brilliant! There's only one major problem, it does create a list but it asks you where to save it. And of course, while you save, you don
    • Nov 07 2006 | 10:26 pm
      Quote: Jennska wrote on Tue, 07 November 2006 12:04 ---------------------------------------------------- There's only one major problem, it does create a list but it asks you where to save it. And of course, while you save, you don ----------------------------------------------------
      hi Jennska, maybe you can save your drawings automatically by using a [metro] or hit a key of your keyboard each time you want to save a drawing of interest. hope this helps ;)
    • Nov 14 2006 | 6:34 pm
      Well, ok, here is what I've got... It's probably a matter of beginner's logic...
    • Nov 14 2006 | 7:44 pm
      Oh gosh, I started playing a little more carefully with Karrrlo's file and it Here is version 2, anyone wants to test it?
    • Nov 14 2006 | 9:01 pm
      Looks great! Here's another angle: only takes pics when mouse is released....
      Interesting project -- gives me some ideas. The jitter objects are more functional though. Don't be afraid of all those parameters, they are your friends! ;)
      -CJ
      -------------------------------