Leopard/Max5 update strategy?


    Nov 30 2007 | 12:26 pm
    With Leopard here and Max 5 on the way I am wondering what the collective wisdom is on upgrading. I am concerned that a new operating system and a new software version together have the potential of causing some real headaches. My tentative plan is to upgrade to Leopard very soon and run Max 4.6.3 for a few months. The consensus on the list seems to be that this is save. Any thoughts or news flashes?
    Cheers Gary Lee Nelson Oberlin College www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson

    • Nov 30 2007 | 4:54 pm
      I tried to use MaxMSP 4.6 with Leopard on a "old" Titanium G4 1 Ghz with 1 GB of RAM.
      A very simple [cycle~] generates random nasty noises especially if the frequency is changed.
      So, no way for me to use MaxMSP with it under Leopard. Nevetheless, the system is very reactive on my machine. Much more than Tiger.
      Ninh
      ---------------- http://www.maxobjects.com
    • Nov 30 2007 | 5:08 pm
    • Nov 30 2007 | 10:27 pm
      4.6.3 on Leopard here. Running a patch with some externals (gigaverb~ and monoverb~), line objects, gain sliders, buffers, play objects... Pretty simple. Seems to be working OK with my Firepod. I thought I had a system crash today when I opened my patch (mouse froze), but Spotlight responded to command+spacebar. I opened activity monitor through Spotlight and everything looked OK. The mouse even started moving again, so I don't know what that was about. I plan on buying the full license once my 9 month student license runs out, but I hope there will be a 4.6.4 (or other Leopard compatible solution) before 5 comes out. There may still be several months to wait for 5!