Make matrix behave like matrixset


    Oct 21 2008 | 4:35 am
    I've looked at the Paramination path from Andrew Benson's Jitter Recipes,
    which stores multiple matrices of 1d control data in a matrix and then spits
    them out one at a time, and wanted to do something similar with 2d data, in
    this case all equal-sized images.
    Of course, I can store equal sized images in a matrixset, but matrixset,
    afaik, can't have names and be used in more than one place in a patch. And
    maybe I just want to meet the challenge of making a matrix behave like a
    matrixset.
    But my brain must be tired this evening, so I'll ask if someone has already
    solved this problem. I'm pretty sure it's come up before, but a search of
    the archives didn't turn up any obvious answer.
    cheers,
    -- Paul
    --
    ----- |(*,+,#,=)(#,=,*,+)(=,#,+,*)(+,*,=,#)| -----

    • Oct 21 2008 | 4:42 am
      Indeed. You can use a 3D matrix for this purpose. There are a number
      of examples in the forum. I have an abstraction in my xray.jit
      objects called xray.jit.3dbuffer that you can use as is or take apart
      for your own twisted purposes:
      wes
    • Oct 21 2008 | 4:48 am
      Right, I stumbled across that, but haven't yet tried it out. I guess I'm
      obstinately trying to get jit.matrix to do the work just so at some point a
      little light will go on in my head and I'll say--aha, now I see how all
      those layers are laid out, and I can now store and grab whatever I want.
      But thanks, I will take a more serious look at xray.jit.3dbuffer.
      -- Paul
      On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Wesley Smith wrote:
      > Indeed. You can use a 3D matrix for this purpose. There are a number
      > of examples in the forum. I have an abstraction in my xray.jit
      > objects called xray.jit.3dbuffer that you can use as is or take apart
      > for your own twisted purposes:
      > http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~whsmith/xray.html
      >
      > wes
      >
      --
      ----- |(*,+,#,=)(#,=,*,+)(=,#,+,*)(+,*,=,#)| -----
    • Oct 21 2008 | 4:56 am
      On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Paul Hertz wrote:
      > Right, I stumbled across that, but haven't yet tried it out. I guess I'm
      > obstinately trying to get jit.matrix to do the work just so at some point a
      > little light will go on in my head and I'll say--aha, now I see how all
      > those layers are laid out, and I can now store and grab whatever I want.
      It's an abstraction around a jit.matrix object, so if you open it up
      you'll see one way to use a jit.matrix object as a matrixset.
      wes
    • Oct 21 2008 | 5:09 am
      Yup, I'm looking at it right now. Makes things much clearer, even if it is
      after midnight and cloudy here.
      Looking forward to checking out the source code you included, too, once I
      have some time to dig in.
      thanks,
      -- Paul
      On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Wesley Smith wrote:
      > On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Paul Hertz wrote:
      > > Right, I stumbled across that, but haven't yet tried it out. I guess I'm
      > > obstinately trying to get jit.matrix to do the work just so at some point
      > a
      > > little light will go on in my head and I'll say--aha, now I see how all
      > > those layers are laid out, and I can now store and grab whatever I want.
      >
      > It's an abstraction around a jit.matrix object, so if you open it up
      > you'll see one way to use a jit.matrix object as a matrixset.
      >
      > wes
      >
      --
      ----- |(*,+,#,=)(#,=,*,+)(=,#,+,*)(+,*,=,#)| -----
    • Oct 21 2008 | 8:29 pm
      On 21 oct. 08, at 06:35, Paul Hertz wrote:
      > Of course, I can store equal sized images in a matrixset, but
      > matrixset, afaik, can't have names and be used in more than one
      > place in a patch.
      You might look at the matrixlist example inside the jitter-examples/
      java folder.
      Statement from the matrixlist example patch: "named matrixlists share
      data".
      Roby