MaxMSP + E-Mu 1820m anyone?

Feb 20 2008 | 12:42 pm
    Hello,
    Has anyone used this soundcard successfully with MaxMSP? What are the
    available signal vector sizes? Is it reliable?
    Thank you in advance.
    Roald Baudoux
    --------------------------------
    Composer of electroacoustic art (acousmatic music, sound
    installations, live electronics).
    Junior Lecturer for the Royal Conservatory of Music (Mons, Belgium).
    (http://www.conservatoire-mons.be)
    --------------------------------
    Tel/fax: +32.(0)2.503.23.46
    Mobile: +32.(0)497.32.38.13

• Feb 20 2008 | 1:25 pm
      I never had reliable operation with the 1820m or the 1616m and Max/MSP or Reaktor. I tore most of my hair out working with this combination. The DACs, etc., on the 'm' series sounded great but it was just a pain in the ass. Since switching to an RME FF800, I've been happy as can be.
    • Feb 20 2008 | 1:27 pm
      That was over a year ago, however, and newer drivers may have remedied the problems I experienced. Maybe get it from a place with a friendly return policy.
    • Feb 21 2008 | 12:24 am
      Quote: cebec wrote on Wed, 20 February 2008 14:25
      ----------------------------------------------------
      > I never had reliable operation with the 1820m or the 1616m and Max/MSP or Reaktor. I tore most of my hair out working with this combination. The DACs, etc., on the 'm' series sounded great but it was just a pain in the ass. Since switching to an RME FF800, I've been happy as can be.
      ----------------------------------------------------
      i have to second that. pc drivers (don't know about mac drivers, if available at all) have been horrible _and_ not been updated for over a year. but yes, the converters are great (for the money), and clocking is decent (depending on your budget this could also could mean great).
      i'm currently using the 1820m clocked from a rme ff400 on my pc workstation which i use for mixing and sound design work.
      for low-latency applications i use my ff400, and i wouldn't recommend this card, generally, when you need to go under about 12 ms latency.
      but, if you have a chance to try it (friendly return policy mentioned earlier...) do so, because a lot depends on your specific hardware configuration and in case your hardware "matches" this card, it is great, no really, great(!) value for money.
      regards,
      kjg
    • May 21 2008 | 12:26 pm