MIDI graphical interface


    May 16 2008 | 9:28 am
    Hello friends,
    So I know David Z wrote that he doubts people will miss the editing window
    from the detonate object, but in fact I was using that in a patch used to
    record and analyze MIDI data for research purposes.
    Basically, I need to be able to graphically watch, in real time, the
    recording of multiple MIDI tracks simultaneously. Using detonate, this was
    very simple as I could pull up the editor and see the data being recorded as
    it was played. This editor is no longer supported in Max 5, and my question
    to you all is, what is my best alternative for this, other than building my
    own editor window. Truthfully, I don't need to edit the notes as much as I
    need to be able record all the discrete data that was possible before, and
    visually watch the notes being recorded.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Best,
    Joe Saavedra

    • May 16 2008 | 3:30 pm
      It was my hope that Cycling was going to have some kind
      of track object to replace detonate. Alas, it sounds like
      they not only do not have one, but do not intend on creating one.
      As far as I know there are no easy solutions out there.
      If anyone knows of a track like object that displays
      MIDI data please please let me know.
      Ultimately if one does not exist we will have to make one.
      javascript would be an option but not very efficient. I am
      waiting for the new Max5 SDK to take advantage of the new UI
      API that should make drawing such things a lot easier. It would
      be nice if Cycling could release the source for [seq] so
      that someone could create an graphical interface for it.
    • May 17 2008 | 5:42 am
      I think there's an FTM object (the 'track scoob' class) for display and editing MIDI track data as a piano roll. However, the IRCAM team is still in the process, I believe, of making FTM's UI objects work under Max 5.
      --Bob Falesch
    • May 17 2008 | 8:57 am
      We'll be there as soon as the SDK comes out.
      **NOS
      On 17 mai 08, at 07:42, raf wrote:
      > I think there's an FTM object (the 'track scoob' class) for display
      > and editing MIDI track data as a piano roll. However, the IRCAM
      > team is still in the process, I believe, of making FTM's UI objects
      > work under Max 5.
      >
      > --Bob Falesch
    • May 21 2008 | 10:30 pm
      I'm just getting into midi sequencing with Max and I saw this is not available in Max 5. Why? Seems like a pretty useful thing to have so I'm wondering why he would say no one would miss it. I never even got around to using it in 4 and I'm already missing it here in 5!
    • May 21 2008 | 10:39 pm
      On 22 mai 08, at 00:30, David Huff wrote:
      > I'm just getting into midi sequencing with Max and I saw this is not
      > available in Max 5. Why? Seems like a pretty useful thing to have so
      > I'm wondering why he would say no one would miss it. I never even
      > got around to using it in 4 and I'm already missing it here in 5!
      It's still possible to use detonate (or seq) in Max 5. There's no
      graphical interface though.
      ej
    • May 21 2008 | 10:41 pm
      Well you can still do MIDI sequencing in Max, with
      the [seq] object. What Max does not have is a nice UI for
      displaying and editing that data. Ideally something that can
      display that data as MIDI events or notation.
    • May 21 2008 | 10:44 pm
      Sorry guys, I wasn't clear. I was talking about the graphical editing when I said "I saw this is not available in Max 5." Sorry for the confusion. I still wonder why though.
    • May 21 2008 | 11:01 pm
      I wonder why as well, I guess the cycling folks have been too
      busy with other things to add in a decent track object that
      displays and edits MIDI data. I hope something comes along soon...
    • May 22 2008 | 11:15 am
      Anthony Palomba schrieb:
      > I wonder why as well, I guess the cycling folks have been too
      > busy with other things to add in a decent track object that
      > displays and edits MIDI data. I hope something comes along soon...
      as mentioned in the help file, [detonate] is based on [explode] by
      Miller Puckette. This is traditionally open source...
      If cycling is willing to publish the old detonate code, and finally the
      new SDK is out, someone could take it and port it...
      Though it might be easier and more flexible to create an LCD based
      editor maybe in combination with seq~, the score following part could
      still be achieved with [follow]...
      On the other hand detonate is pretty limited:
      Its only dealing with integers, it can't carry much more than just midi
      notes, no other events etc.
      I guess the decision was to look for a more profound and universal
      solution, than binding development resources with a sort of incomplete
      old object...
      Stefan
      --
      Stefan Tiedje------------x-------
      --_____-----------|--------------
      --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()-------
      -- _|_)----|-----()--------------
      ----------()--------www.ccmix.com
    • May 22 2008 | 12:43 pm
      I would be happy with a multitrack version of seq that records
      metaevents. I never really used the graphical interface for
      detonate, The problem with the old detonate was that the midi files
      it exported drove Finale and Sibelius crazy - and again, no
      metaevents for writing time & key signatures for mixed meter pieces.
      I am experimenting with MaxScore as an aid for transcription. So
      far, this is gong very well.
      Cheers
      Gary Lee Nelson
      TIMARA Department
      Oberlin College
      www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
      On May 22, 2008, at 7:15 AM, Stefan Tiedje wrote:
      > Anthony Palomba schrieb:
      >> I wonder why as well, I guess the cycling folks have been too
      >> busy with other things to add in a decent track object that
      >> displays and edits MIDI data. I hope something comes along soon...
      >
      > as mentioned in the help file, [detonate] is based on [explode] by
      > Miller Puckette. This is traditionally open source...
      > If cycling is willing to publish the old detonate code, and finally
      > the new SDK is out, someone could take it and port it...
      >
      > Though it might be easier and more flexible to create an LCD based
      > editor maybe in combination with seq~, the score following part
      > could still be achieved with [follow]...
      >
      > On the other hand detonate is pretty limited:
      > Its only dealing with integers, it can't carry much more than just
      > midi notes, no other events etc.
      >
      > I guess the decision was to look for a more profound and universal
      > solution, than binding development resources with a sort of
      > incomplete old object...
      >
      > Stefan
      >
      > --
      > Stefan Tiedje------------x-------
      > --_____-----------|--------------
      > --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()-------
      > -- _|_)----|-----()--------------
      > ----------()--------www.ccmix.com
      >
    • May 22 2008 | 3:29 pm
      Quote: Gary Lee Nelson wrote on Thu, 22 May 2008 06:43
      ----------------------------------------------------
      > I am experimenting with MaxScore as an aid for transcription. So
      > far, this is gong very well.
      Gary, I would be very interested in your thoughts on MaxScore.
      I am thinking of utilizing it myself as there really is no
      other alternative solution at the moment. I would like to
      create a notation environment that lets me edit notes.
      How are you handling note storage? Does MaxScore support
      that or are you using some other mechanism to save?
    • May 22 2008 | 4:53 pm
      MaxScore lets you built and edit a structure that includes a notation
      display. I have not tried editing in the display directly but you
      can play it back. I am not sure if it exports midi but it does
      export MusicXML files that can be read by Finale and Sibelius. This
      actually my goal. I want to produce scores for instrumental ensemble
      using composition algorithms I have written in Max. I'll post
      periodic updates on my progress although at the moment I am working
      on something else.
      Cheers
      Gary Lee Nelson
      TIMARA Department
      Oberlin College
      www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
      On May 22, 2008, at 11:29 AM, Anthony Palomba wrote:
      >
      > Quote: Gary Lee Nelson wrote on Thu, 22 May 2008 06:43
      > ----------------------------------------------------
      >> I am experimenting with MaxScore as an aid for transcription. So
      >> far, this is gong very well.
      >
      > Gary, I would be very interested in your thoughts on MaxScore.
      > I am thinking of utilizing it myself as there really is no
      > other alternative solution at the moment. I would like to
      > create a notation environment that lets me edit notes.
      > How are you handling note storage? Does MaxScore support
      > that or are you using some other mechanism to save?