[OT] MacBook Pro purchase advice


    Jun 15 2008 | 2:27 pm
    I am looking at the options on a new MacBook 17".
    I have one of the first MacBook Intel machines with with 2 GB memory and 2.16 GHz processor.I have no particular complain about its performance except the the 100 GB disk is getting a little tight. It has been getting a little flaky lately so it's time for an upgrade.
    Memory: 2GB or 4GB? Disk: 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm? Processor: 2.5 GHz or 2.6?
    I will be using it primarily for Max/MSP running Kontakt 3 as an auxiliary synth. Some Final Cut and DVD Pro editing but not at the same time as Max/MSP.
    I am planning to use Carbon Copy Cloner to wipe the new machine and install the system from the old one so I don't have reinstall all of my software. I've done this before and it works great. Then I plan to install Tiger which I already own.
    Suggestions? Observations? Caveats?
    Cheers Gary Lee Nelson TIMARA Department Oberlin College www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson

    • Jun 15 2008 | 2:47 pm
      i have the same macbookpro but use an external hd - Glyph GT050 - maybe an option
      if you get a new one i always recommend as much memory as you can afford always faster than hd
      7200 for sfplay~
    • Jun 15 2008 | 2:55 pm
      I use a 7200 rpm external HD for Kontakt samples and another for streaming video images. That won't change. What I am wonder is whether 7200 rpm significant improves interactions with the system disk.
      Cheers Gary Lee Nelson TIMARA Department Oberlin College www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
      On Jun 15, 2008, at 10:47 AM, don malone wrote:
      > > i have the same macbookpro > but use an external hd - Glyph GT050 - maybe an option > > if you get a new one > i always recommend as much memory as you can afford > always faster than hd > > 7200 for sfplay~ > -- > it takes all of us > LoneMonad > http://faculty.roosevelt.edu/malone/default.htm
    • Jun 15 2008 | 3:11 pm
      Have you verified that you can install 10.4 on a new Macbook Pro? Often newer hardware is unsupported by the old OS, especially individual components such as the video card and optical drive.
    • Jun 15 2008 | 4:02 pm
      Good point. I am running 10.4.11 on a MacBook Pro now but I suppose there may have been hardware changes in two years. I'll check that tomorrow.
      Cheers Gary Lee Nelson TIMARA Department Oberlin College www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
      On Jun 15, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Gregory Cornelius wrote:
      > Have you verified that you can install 10.4 on a new Macbook Pro? > Often newer hardware is unsupported by the old OS, especially > individual components such as the video card and optical drive.
    • Jun 15 2008 | 4:13 pm
      >Good point. I am running 10.4.11 on a MacBook Pro now but I suppose >there may have been hardware changes in two years. I'll check that >tomorrow. >
      I have a 17" macBook pro, the 2.5 model, 2 giga RAM and a 7200 HD - So far I used it a few times on stage, running maxmsp,, real time synthesis, some plug-ins, controlling the DMX etc etc - and have no complaints at all mac OS 10.5 of course
      best
      kasper
      -- Kasper T. Toeplitz noise, composition, bass, computer http://www.sleazeArt.com
    • Jun 15 2008 | 6:36 pm
    • Jun 15 2008 | 7:33 pm
      Yes, that's exactly what I have now but with 10.4.11. It has been very reliable on stage and on tour. My questions have more to do with what I might improve on a new machine. I have a vote for 7200 rpm and 2.5 GHz. I went with the smaller 100 GB disk to get 7200 on my old machine but, as I said, I was running low on disk space. The new machine has 200 GM on a 7200.
      Cheers Gary Lee Nelson TIMARA Department Oberlin College www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
      On Jun 15, 2008, at 12:13 PM, Kasper T Toeplitz wrote:
      >> Good point. I am running 10.4.11 on a MacBook Pro now but I >> suppose there may have been hardware changes in two years. I'll >> check that tomorrow. >> > > > I have a 17" macBook pro, the 2.5 model, 2 giga RAM and a 7200 HD - > So far I used it a few times on stage, running maxmsp,, real time > synthesis, some plug-ins, controlling the DMX etc etc - and have no > complaints at all > mac OS 10.5 of course > > best > > kasper > > -- > Kasper T. Toeplitz > noise, composition, bass, computer > http://www.sleazeArt.com > > http://www.myspace.com/sleazeart >
    • Jun 16 2008 | 7:01 am
      On 15 juin 08, at 20:36, Roald Baudoux wrote:
      > The faster the hard drive the better the global performance, as the > computer uses the hard disk for its virtual memory and for swapping > among other things. So go for a 7200 rpm HDD.
      But a 7200 rpm disc needs more power, and may dissipate more heat...
      p
      >
      ------------------ Patrick Delges
      Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl http://www.crfmw.be/max
    • Jun 16 2008 | 11:02 am
      I would say 2.5 GHz and 4 GB for sure. The extra performance 2.6 GHz buys you is just not worth the extra money, IMO.
      What to do with the hard disk is hard to say. 7200 might give you some improvement, but it depends on what generation it is. A newest generation 5400 hard disk using perpendicular recording reaches the same speeds as a previous generation 7200, since the areal density of the platters is higher. This affects random reads and writes too.
      The power usage is not really an issue in the bigger picture of this machine's power consumption. Minutes of battery life.
      7200 rpm drives do tend to produce more noise on seeks...
      So, I would go 5400, unless you find some information confiming an actual real lifer speed benifit that to you is worth the extra money.
      How about the screen?? There is a high resolution option these days.
      regards, kjg
    • Jun 16 2008 | 1:07 pm
      Hi,
      Maybe these test?
      I use for now a PowerBook G4 with a 7200rpm harddisk and it is actual faster in reading/writing/starting-up anything then before.
      I have never noticed more heat or less battery, only more speed! :)
      The only problem that i have since the 7200rpm harddisk is that there is no power enough at the USB bus to give external USB drives bus powered energy. FireWire bus power gives no problem.
      Is there anybody how have the same USB bus-power problem with the new MacBook Pro 2.5 - 200 GB 7200rpm harddrive?
    • Jun 16 2008 | 2:21 pm
      My 7200 rpm drive is in the MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, and it powers the USB bus without any problems. My Audio Interface and Korg controller keyboard are fully powered, simultaneously, off their USB connections, while my iPod is recharging at the same time . . . Also, there is no noise whatsoever, so I'm a little puzzled by noise compaints! Is there noise on the 2.5 GHz model?
      It does drain the battery faster, but then anyone use Logic, Max, etc. is going to be draining the battery faster, and if you are performing, you shouldn't be using the battery anyway.
      On Monday, June 16, 2008, at 09:44AM, "bart" wrote: > >Hi, > >Maybe these test? > > >http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=422398/#16 >http://barefeats.com/mbcd7.html > >I use for now a PowerBook G4 with a 7200rpm harddisk and it is actual faster in reading/writing/starting-up anything then before. > >I have never noticed more heat or less battery, only more speed! :) > >The only problem that i have since the 7200rpm harddisk is that there is no power enough at the USB bus to give external USB drives bus powered energy. FireWire bus power gives no problem. > >Is there anybody how have the same USB bus-power problem with the new MacBook Pro 2.5 - 200 GB 7200rpm harddrive? > >
    • Jun 17 2008 | 7:59 pm
      I am looking at the same
      4GB 7200 of course! i am "eh" on 200/400$ more for that small of a jump on the Ghz.
      On Sun Jun 15 10:27:32 EDT 2008, Gary Lee Nelson wrote:
      > I am looking at the options on a new MacBook 17". > > I have one of the first MacBook Intel machines with > with 2 GB memory and 2.16 GHz processor.I have no > particular complain about its performance > except the the 100 GB disk is getting a little tight. > It has been getting a little flaky lately so it's time for > an upgrade. > > Memory: 2GB or 4GB? > Disk: 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm? > Processor: 2.5 GHz or 2.6? > > I will be using it primarily for Max/MSP running Kontakt 3 as an > auxiliary synth. > Some Final Cut and DVD Pro editing but not at the same time as > Max/MSP. > > I am planning to use Carbon Copy Cloner to wipe the new machine > and install > the system from the old one so I don't have reinstall all of my > software. I've > done this before and it works great. Then I plan to install > Tiger which I already own. > > Suggestions? Observations? Caveats? > > Cheers > Gary Lee Nelson > TIMARA Department > Oberlin College > www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson > > > > > >
      Patrick Pagano,M.F.A Sound and Light Technologist Nadine McGuire Theatre & Dance Pavilion GAINESVILLE FL US 32611-5900 University Of Florida (352) 273-1483
    • Jun 17 2008 | 9:01 pm
    • Jun 18 2008 | 6:22 am
      4 Bg all the way ! !! I Just upgraded my 2.33 GHz MBP from 2 to 4 Gb, and the difference is night and day. My huge patch full of poly's and sound files took + 2 min to load, now it's less than 10 seconds !!
      Ph
    • Jun 18 2008 | 8:38 am
      > > >>I am looking at the options on a new MacBook 17".
      oh, and I forgot to tell you - I ordered it with the new screen, the 1920x 1200 - it's just great!!! When i use my old (PPC) 1440x900 pBook, it seems so.... strange now
      i really recommend it
      kasper -- Kasper T. Toeplitz noise, composition, bass, computer http://www.sleazeArt.com
    • Jun 18 2008 | 10:26 am
      what about the firewire chip on newer macs?
      i have heard it is slower than the previous chip, since apple changed to a different manufacturer...
    • Jun 18 2008 | 7:04 pm
      Quote: Phijel wrote on Tue, 17 June 2008 23:22 ---------------------------------------------------- > 4 Bg all the way ! !! > I Just upgraded my 2.33 GHz MBP from 2 to 4 Gb, and the difference is night and day. My huge patch full of poly's and sound files took + 2 min to load, now it's less than 10 seconds !! > > Ph ----------------------------------------------------
      I've been thinking about getting more RAM for my MBP, but Apple RAM is overpriced. I know some people get their RAM elsewhere: crucial.com seems to be a popular choice. For my laptop, they'd charge $50 for a 2 GB stick while Apple is $200!
      Any recommendations or bad experiences with 3rd party RAM vendors?
      Gary, assuming there's no issues with 3rd party RAM, it'll definitely save you money to get a Mac with the least possible RAM and buy more elsewhere.
    • Jun 18 2008 | 7:32 pm
      I have had good luck with crucial.com
      pp
      On Wed Jun 18 15:04:20 EDT 2008, Adam Murray wrote:
      > > Quote: Phijel wrote on Tue, 17 June 2008 23:22 > ---------------------------------------------------- >> 4 Bg all the way ! !! >> I Just upgraded my 2.33 GHz MBP from 2 to 4 Gb, and the >> difference is night and day. My huge patch full of poly's and >> sound files took + 2 min to load, now it's less than 10 seconds >> !! >> >> Ph > ---------------------------------------------------- > > I've been thinking about getting more RAM for my MBP, but Apple > RAM is overpriced. I know some people get their RAM elsewhere: > crucial.com seems to be a popular choice. For my laptop, they'd > charge $50 for a 2 GB stick while Apple is $200! Any > recommendations or bad experiences with 3rd party RAM vendors? > > Gary, assuming there's no issues with 3rd party RAM, it'll > definitely save you money to get a Mac with the least possible > RAM and buy more elsewhere. > -- > Adam Murray > compusition.com > >
      Patrick Pagano,M.F.A Sound and Light Technologist Nadine McGuire Theatre & Dance Pavilion GAINESVILLE FL US 32611-5900 University Of Florida (352) 273-1483
    • Jun 18 2008 | 7:57 pm
      Thanks to all who offered advice.
      I am narrowing it down...
      4GB RAM (is memory difficult to install?) 200GB 7200 rpm disk Hi-Res display? - it's only $90 more but I already have difficulty reading some things on my 1680x1050. In addition, I have an apple cinema display so screen space is not an issue.
      Cheers Gary Lee Nelson TIMARA Department Oberlin College www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
      On Jun 18, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Adam Murray wrote:
      > > Quote: Phijel wrote on Tue, 17 June 2008 23:22 > ---------------------------------------------------- >> 4 Bg all the way ! !! >> I Just upgraded my 2.33 GHz MBP from 2 to 4 Gb, and the difference >> is night and day. My huge patch full of poly's and sound files >> took + 2 min to load, now it's less than 10 seconds !! >> >> Ph > ---------------------------------------------------- > > I've been thinking about getting more RAM for my MBP, but Apple RAM > is overpriced. I know some people get their RAM elsewhere: > crucial.com seems to be a popular choice. For my laptop, they'd > charge $50 for a 2 GB stick while Apple is $200! > > Any recommendations or bad experiences with 3rd party RAM vendors? > > Gary, assuming there's no issues with 3rd party RAM, it'll > definitely save you money to get a Mac with the least possible RAM > and buy more elsewhere. > -- > Adam Murray > compusition.com
    • Jun 18 2008 | 8:52 pm
      I looooooooooove the hi-res display myself, but my eyes are still in excellent shape . . . so far. It's very, very fine in terms of character size, etc.
      On Wednesday, June 18, 2008, at 04:06PM, "Gary Lee Nelson" wrote: >Thanks to all who offered advice. > >I am narrowing it down... > >4GB RAM (is memory difficult to install?) >200GB 7200 rpm disk >Hi-Res display? - it's only $90 more but I already have difficulty >reading some things on my 1680x1050. In addition, I have an apple >cinema display so screen space is not an issue. > >Cheers >Gary Lee Nelson >TIMARA Department >Oberlin College >www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson > > > > >On Jun 18, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Adam Murray wrote: > >> >> Quote: Phijel wrote on Tue, 17 June 2008 23:22 >> ---------------------------------------------------- >>> 4 Bg all the way ! !! >>> I Just upgraded my 2.33 GHz MBP from 2 to 4 Gb, and the difference >>> is night and day. My huge patch full of poly's and sound files >>> took + 2 min to load, now it's less than 10 seconds !! >>> >>> Ph >> ---------------------------------------------------- >> >> I've been thinking about getting more RAM for my MBP, but Apple RAM >> is overpriced. I know some people get their RAM elsewhere: >> crucial.com seems to be a popular choice. For my laptop, they'd >> charge $50 for a 2 GB stick while Apple is $200! >> >> Any recommendations or bad experiences with 3rd party RAM vendors? >> >> Gary, assuming there's no issues with 3rd party RAM, it'll >> definitely save you money to get a Mac with the least possible RAM >> and buy more elsewhere. >> -- >> Adam Murray >> compusition.com > >
    • Jun 19 2008 | 1:46 am
      > I've been thinking about getting more RAM for my MBP, but Apple RAM is > overpriced. I know some people get their RAM elsewhere: crucial.com seems to > be a popular choice. For my laptop, they'd charge $50 for a 2 GB stick while > Apple is $200! > > Any recommendations or bad experiences with 3rd party RAM vendors?
      Good experience with crucial.com. -- http://www.jeanfrancoischarles.com June 14th update: Ballade for clarinetist dancer - Video