[OT] Quiet external HD


    Mar 30 2007 | 8:11 am
    Anyone have any recommendations for a nice _quiet_ external hard drive ?
    ~250 GB, USB 2 or Firewire doesn't really matter - bus powered would be
    nice, (though it seems that most bus powered drives are a bit slow, so maybe
    not) - above all though, I want something quiet,
    Cheers
    Roger

    • Mar 30 2007 | 8:43 am
      you can research silent computer parts at http://www.silentpcreview.com/
      =)
    • Mar 30 2007 | 9:29 am
      Bus powered drives are usually 2,5" notebook harddrives. Thus at 5400 or 4200 RPM. Because they are at a lower speed, they will generate less heat and noise, but are also slower.
      Firewire is faster because it uses less cpu power, so that's recommanded.
    • Mar 30 2007 | 9:51 am
      lacies seem pretty quiet to me. i heard mybooks are noisy.
    • Mar 30 2007 | 10:15 am
      That's worrying - I've used various Lacie's at work and found most of them
      to be pretty noisy (especially the Big Disk), and not that reliable either
      - and the Mybook was one of the ones I've seen recommended as being quiet!
      Can anyone comment on the Formac XTR Oxygen or Freecom, both of which claim
      to be quiet (but then so does the Mybook!)
      Cheers
      Roger
      On 30/3/07 10:51, "bin ray" wrote:
      >
      > lacies seem pretty quiet to me. i heard mybooks are noisy.
      > --
      > www.myspace.com/binray
    • Mar 30 2007 | 10:39 am
      I bought a couple of Formac 259 XTRs after my 10 month old LaCie died
      suddenly one morning (and it took many months for them to sort it out
      as well). I think the Formacs arequite a bit quieter than the LaCies
      - I don't know how they are on reliability, though my suspicion is
      that there's always going to be one or tow bad apples in any
      manufacturers barrel.
      David
      On 30 Mar 2007, at 11:15, Roger Carruthers wrote:
      > That's worrying - I've used various Lacie's at work and found most
      > of them
      > to be pretty noisy (especially the Big Disk), and not that reliable
      > either
      > - and the Mybook was one of the ones I've seen recommended as being
      > quiet!
      > Can anyone comment on the Formac XTR Oxygen or Freecom, both of
      > which claim
      > to be quiet (but then so does the Mybook!)
    • Mar 30 2007 | 10:46 am
      ive got three lacie D2's in front of me and i hardly ever notice them
    • Mar 30 2007 | 11:52 am
    • Mar 30 2007 | 11:59 am
      you need a new thread, george!
    • Mar 30 2007 | 3:09 pm
    • Mar 30 2007 | 4:42 pm
    • Mar 30 2007 | 5:17 pm
      At 9:11 AM +0100 3/30/07, Roger Carruthers wrote:
      >Anyone have any recommendations for a nice _quiet_ external hard drive ?
      The case has a built in heat sink and doesn't have a fan. It's pretty quiet, although you can still hear some of the drive noise.
      -C
      --
      Chris Muir | "There are many futures and only one status quo.
      cbm@well.com | This is why conservatives mostly agree,
      http://www.xfade.com | and radicals always argue." - Brian Eno
    • Mar 30 2007 | 10:04 pm
    • Mar 31 2007 | 1:33 am
      i say it again. research storage. they actually record the sound of the drives so you know how loud each one is in dB. hence, objective.
    • Apr 01 2007 | 12:34 am
      My 1TB LaCie is extremely noisy with a cyclical, pulsating racket. The
      LaCie tech that I corresponded with told me it was probably the fan. He
      told me to "stick a toothpick into the vent hole" to test that
      probability. I didn't take him up on it. I don't recommend them though
      it's otherwise been pretty dependable and is going on 2 years old.
      A
      On 3/30/07 5:51 AM, bin ray wrote:
      > lacies seem pretty quiet to me. i heard mybooks are noisy.
      > --
      > www.myspace.com/binray
      >
    • Apr 01 2007 | 2:30 am
      If you don't mind tinkering with hardware, the quietest external HD you can
      possibly get is a do-it-yourself laptop HD in an OEM enclosure. This way you
      will save a couple bucks on the HD itself, while quality small-form-factor
      enclosures can be found under $50. These commonly have no fans and in most
      cases do not require external power supply. I would recommend Mac users fw
      enclosures as Macs have traditionally offered powered 6-pin fw ports, while
      on Win PCs I would recommend going with USB 2.0 which should also allow for
      such enclosures to be powered via the USB port. Some enclosures offer both.
      The key is to do some research before buying enclosures, as some happen to
      be a pain to assemble, while others are of questionable quality. OTOH, most
      laptop HDs are of decent quality. I would also recommend going with 7200RPM
      models as data throughput gains between 5400 and 7200 models are at times in
      excess of 25%.
      Hope this helps!
      Ico
    • Apr 01 2007 | 10:52 am
      This route had occurred to me and I was wondering if it would be OK to bus
      power a 7200 rpm drive (via Firewire, most likely) as most bus powered
      drives appear to be 5400 rpm.
      I bought one of those questionable USB 2 enclosures and regretted it
      straight away; it's noisy, hot as hell and the port looks like it will
      probably fall apart in a few weeks...
      Cheers
      Roger
      On 1/4/07 03:30, "Ivica Ico Bukvic" wrote:
      > If you don't mind tinkering with hardware, the quietest external HD you can
      > possibly get is a do-it-yourself laptop HD in an OEM enclosure. This way you
      > will save a couple bucks on the HD itself, while quality small-form-factor
      > enclosures can be found under $50. These commonly have no fans and in most
      > cases do not require external power supply. I would recommend Mac users fw
      > enclosures as Macs have traditionally offered powered 6-pin fw ports, while
      > on Win PCs I would recommend going with USB 2.0 which should also allow for
      > such enclosures to be powered via the USB port. Some enclosures offer both.
      >
      > The key is to do some research before buying enclosures, as some happen to
      > be a pain to assemble, while others are of questionable quality. OTOH, most
      > laptop HDs are of decent quality. I would also recommend going with 7200RPM
      > models as data throughput gains between 5400 and 7200 models are at times in
      > excess of 25%.
      >
      > Hope this helps!
      >
      > Ico
      >
      >
    • Apr 10 2007 | 7:04 am
      keith manlove schrieb:
      > Rodrigo. I'm crashing everytime I try to instantiate your fuzzy
      > object AND there's no fis file with the download.
      Same here, 12" Powerbook, OS X 10.4.8, Max 4.6.2...
      Stefan
      --
      Stefan Tiedje------------x-------
      --_____-----------|--------------
      --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()-------
      -- _|_)----|-----()--------------
      ----------()--------www.ccmix.com