Popular Libraries / Objects / Externals


    Oct 11 2007 | 11:23 am
    Hello all,
    I'd like to ask your opinion on the subject -- what are the good/popular (or must-have) object libraries and exts out there -- I'm not looking for something complex and huge (algorithmic ambisonic pseudorandom monsters), just for some basic lego blocks to create my own patches not reinventing the bicycle every time I want to generate a sine. From just reading forum I noticed fiddle~, pitch~, Percolate, LObjects (?) are pretty popular.
    -Thanks

    • Oct 11 2007 | 12:21 pm
      I am a packrat for these things. Lobjects definitely. I use Lyon's
      objects, Tap tools, ej.xxxx, Jasch, Tiedje, Percolate and GranTK among
      others but, ultimately, it depends on what you want to do. When I am
      looking for something, I go to maxobjects.com and type in some keywords. I
      even use maxobjects.com to find stuff I already have and have forgotten.
      The one's I miss are the AUVI objects for jitter and the objects from
      OpenDragon that implement some favorite APL functions. Neither is UB yet.
      Apologies in advance if I left anyone off the sketchy list. My point is
      that our community includes many generous souls who have taken the time to
      cast their work in a form that we all can share.
      Cheers
      Gary Lee Nelson
      Oberlin College
      www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
      PS. Some of my objects from
      On 10/11/07 7:23 AM, "Ivan Smirnov" wrote:
      >
      > Hello all,
      >
      > I'd like to ask your opinion on the subject -- what are the good/popular (or
      > must-have) object libraries and exts out there -- I'm not looking for
      > something complex and huge (algorithmic ambisonic pseudorandom monsters), just
      > for some basic lego blocks to create my own patches not reinventing the
      > bicycle every time I want to generate a sine. From just reading forum I
      > noticed fiddle~, pitch~, Percolate, LObjects (?) are pretty popular.
      >
      > -Thanks
    • Oct 11 2007 | 1:50 pm
      Also look at the Essl Real Time Composition Library (RTC). Maybe not as useful for MSP, but a good set of basic tools. I find Tristan Jehan's analysis objects indispensable. I'm using them intead of fiddle~ these days. I also enjoy using the Litter set of objects. My bookmark for the Max Objects Database gets regular use, too. :-)
    • Oct 11 2007 | 2:44 pm
      YES! Essl's RTC is essential for composition tools and ideas.
      On 10/11/07 9:50 AM, "Holland Hopson" wrote:
      >
      > Also look at the Essl Real Time Composition Library (RTC). Maybe not as useful
      > for MSP, but a good set of basic tools. I find Tristan Jehan's analysis
      > objects indispensable. I'm using them intead of fiddle~ these days. I also
      > enjoy using the Litter set of objects. My bookmark for the Max Objects
      > Database gets regular use, too. :-)
      > --
      > http://www.hollandhopson.com
      Cheers
      Gary Lee Nelson
      Oberlin College
      www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
    • Oct 11 2007 | 7:16 pm
      I generally do my VERY best to stay away from externals. A few things
      have snuck in under the radar, though...
      the Ejies:
      ej.function and now the curve tool are very elegant. RGB-envelopes?
      sure, have RGB side by side in one unit.
      ej.listchange and ej.listscale (lscale?) I use a lot, too. first one is
      out of need, second one is out of convenience (sometimes I work in
      vexpr.. depends)
      and finally:
      CNMAT: cambio~ - haven't been able to find an abstraction solution to
      replace this one? Does anyone have a way? It's now nestled in the core
      of my sync patches.
      Andreas.
    • Oct 11 2007 | 7:42 pm
      Andreas, what is this curve tool you speak of?
      Does ej.function support curves?
      -ap
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Andreas Wetterberg
      Date: Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:26 pm
      Subject: Re: [maxmsp] Re: Popular Libraries / Objects / Externals
      > I generally do my VERY best to stay away from externals. A few
      > things
      > have snuck in under the radar, though...
      >
      > the Ejies:
      >
      > ej.function and now the curve tool are very elegant. RGB-envelopes?
      > sure, have RGB side by side in one unit.
      > ej.listchange and ej.listscale (lscale?) I use a lot, too. first
      > one is
      > out of need, second one is out of convenience (sometimes I work in
      > vexpr.. depends)
      >
      > and finally:
      > CNMAT: cambio~ - haven't been able to find an abstraction solution
      > to
      > replace this one? Does anyone have a way? It's now nestled in the
      > core
      > of my sync patches.
      >
      > Andreas.
      >
    • Oct 11 2007 | 8:02 pm
      On 10/11/07, Andreas Wetterberg wrote:
      > I generally do my VERY best to stay away from externals. A few things
      > have snuck in under the radar, though...
      >
      I'm the same way. Max objects are stable, and it gets me actually
      thinking about problems instead of defaulting to object searching. I
      can't seem to get away from FTM. I wish jitter would do all the
      things that FTM does.
      Keith
    • Oct 11 2007 | 11:45 pm
      On 12 oct. 07, at 04:42, apalomba@austin.rr.com wrote:
      > Andreas, what is this curve tool you speak of?
      > Does ej.function support curves?
      I'm working on the merge of Martin's curve.function and ej.function.
      It should happen in the next couple of days/week.
      ej
    • Oct 12 2007 | 6:02 pm
      Thanks for replies, mates!
    • Oct 12 2007 | 7:36 pm
      Quote: Wetterberg wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 20:16
      ----------------------------------------------------
      > and finally:
      > CNMAT: cambio~ - haven't been able to find an abstraction solution to
      > replace this one? Does anyone have a way? It's now nestled in the core
      > of my sync patches.
      >
      I personally can't live without CNMAT's objects - above all the resonators~, OSC and the supporting ones. Their Spectral Tutorials are amongst the best of their kind in max world.
      All the best,
      Rui