Printing & making PDFs from Max patches


    Mar 22 2006 | 9:37 pm
    Has anyone else found that in printed max patches, and PDFs printed from max (on Mac), the triangles in number boxes don't show up (thereby making number boxes indistinguishable from message boxes...)
    This is an (admittedly minor) problem for me in teaching max, as I prefer to give students handouts of class examples (so that they do the work of constructing the patch). My little-triangle-drawing skills are getting rather honed. Besides doing screen captures, does anyone know of a way to fix this?
    Thanks,
    !john
    -- john j.a. jannone http://www.john.ballibay.com assistant professor, brooklyn college, cuny director, program in performance and interactive media arts http://www.interactivearts.org
    718 951 4203 (office - 376G) (fax 4418) 718 951 4317 (lab - NE130-C) 718 951 5110 (center for computer music - 250/251G)
    campus mailing address: 304 Whitehead Hall, 2900 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11210-2889

    • Mar 22 2006 | 9:52 pm
      I've experienced this same frustration, and have also had to photoshop in little triangles for my students. seems a little silly to have to do that, but I haven't found any other way.
      Marcel
    • Mar 22 2006 | 10:08 pm
    • Mar 23 2006 | 8:07 am
    • Mar 23 2006 | 9:59 am
      On 23 Mar 2006, at 08:07, Roald Baudoux wrote:
      > Keyboard shortcuts ctrl-alt-3 and ctrl-alt-4 are provided by MacOS > (the latter allowing to choose the captured zone).
      Leaving aside the fact that Macs have option keys, not alt keys (OK, so on my TiBook it has an "alt" label but I'm sure that's just to make PC users feel at home; it's always referred to as "option"), I don't know whether these old OS 9 code-resource shortcuts work under OS X at all - I certainly don't get any response on my machine.
      OS X comes with a "Grab" utility program which generates TIFFs.
      -- N.
      nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http:// www.cassiel.com
    • Mar 23 2006 | 10:43 am
      it's not alt 3 / 4, but command-shift-3 / 4. I think they are the same on a Powerbooks, although I can't check myself.
      Julien.
    • Mar 23 2006 | 11:01 am
      On 23-Mar-2006, at 10:59, Nick Rothwell wrote:
      > I don't know whether these old OS 9 code-resource shortcuts work > under OS X at all - I certainly don't get any response on my machine.
      Maybe if you try using Command-Shift-4 you'll have a bit more luck. Option-command-4 never did anything in particular.
      In general they do the old FKEYs work, but support is a bit mixed. I particularly miss CapsLock-Shift-Command-4.
      Grab is the approved way.
      -- P
      PS: Ctrl-Alt-4??!?? Honestly.
      -------------- http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ------------- Peter Castine | +--> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter |.................................................... p@castine.de | iCE: Sequencing, Recording, and Interface Building pcastine@gmx.net | for Max/MSP pcastine@bek.no | http://www.dspaudio.com/ Extremely cool 4-15@kagi.com |.................................................... | home|chez nous|wir|i nostri http://www.castine.de/
    • Mar 23 2006 | 11:06 am
      Yes, they are the same on Powerbook.
      Riccardo
    • Mar 23 2006 | 11:16 am
      On 23 mars 06, at 10:59, Nick Rothwell wrote:
      > On 23 Mar 2006, at 08:07, Roald Baudoux wrote: > >> Keyboard shortcuts ctrl-alt-3 and ctrl-alt-4 are provided by MacOS >> (the latter allowing to choose the captured zone). > > Leaving aside the fact that Macs have option keys, not alt keys (OK, > so on my TiBook it has an "alt" label but I'm sure that's just to make > PC users feel at home; it's always referred to as "option"), I don't > know whether these old OS 9 code-resource shortcuts work under OS X at > all - I certainly don't get any response on my machine.
      It's command-shift-3/4, not ctrl-option. You'll get .pdf files under X.3.9, but I'm not sure it's still the case under X.4.x
      p
      _____________________________ Patrick Delges
      Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl http://users.skynet.be/crfmw/max
    • Mar 23 2006 | 12:36 pm
      On 23 Mar 2006, at 10:43, r.julien wrote:
      > it's not alt 3 / 4, but command-shift-3 / 4.
      Oh, yes. How charmingly quaint.
      -- N.
      nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http:// www.cassiel.com
    • Mar 23 2006 | 12:38 pm
      On 23 Mar 2006, at 11:16, Patrick Delges wrote:
      > You'll get .pdf files under X.3.9, but I'm not sure it's still the > case under X.4.x
      I seem to be getting PNGs.
      nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http:// www.cassiel.com
    • Mar 23 2006 | 1:29 pm
      On 23 mars 06, at 13:38, Nick Rothwell wrote:
      >> You'll get .pdf files under X.3.9, but I'm not sure it's still the >> case under X.4.x > > I seem to be getting PNGs.
      you can change that :
      http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? story=20050627224051361&query=screen+capture
      Best, ej