problems building collective


    Sep 03 2007 | 3:24 pm
    hi all,
    I've been attempting to create either a collective or standalone of a
    large patch that I want to run on a second Mac for performing with
    another musician.
    The patch (which contains a lot of subpatches) works ok on my laptop.
    A collective created from the patch works ok if I load it in Max, but
    fails miserably if I load it into max Runtime.
    I get lots and lots of ...
    error: (subpatcher name): error -43 opening file
    error: (subpatcher name): no such object
    The only reference to this I can find in the docs tells me that there
    might be a problem with the source file. Hmm. It works ok Max itself,
    so what kind of a problem might that be?!
    I'm also getting:
    umenu (and ubumenu) doesn't understand "size" "offset" etc etc
    I can't find anything in the refs that points me in the right
    direction. Does anyone have any insight on what the problem(s) might
    be? Or what I might have to do to get this patch working on a 2nd
    machine?
    I've not done a lot of collective building, so I'm not very au fait
    with the kind of thing that can go wrong.
    thanks in advance for any advice!
    david

    • Sep 03 2007 | 5:20 pm
      I've just tried this out with a much simpler patch, with fewer
      subpatches, and I get the same thing happening - none of the
      subpatchers will load properly when I try and run the collective
      inside Runtime.
      Not only that, but if I try and launch the collective by double
      clicking on its icon, Runtime crashes.
      This is on a MacBookPro, OSX 10.4.10. Latest max/msp/jitter
      download. (I haven't downloaded any incremental updates)
      Is anyone having any success creating and running Collectives?
      David
      On 3 Sep 2007, at 16:24, David Stevens wrote:
      > hi all,
      >
      > I've been attempting to create either a collective or standalone of
      > a large patch that I want to run on a second Mac for performing
      > with another musician.
      >
      > The patch (which contains a lot of subpatches) works ok on my
      > laptop. A collective created from the patch works ok if I load it
      > in Max, but fails miserably if I load it into max Runtime.
      >
      > I get lots and lots of ...
      >
      > error: (subpatcher name): error -43 opening file
      > error: (subpatcher name): no such object
      >
      > The only reference to this I can find in the docs tells me that
      > there might be a problem with the source file. Hmm. It works ok Max
      > itself, so what kind of a problem might that be?!
      >
      > I'm also getting:
      >
      > umenu (and ubumenu) doesn't understand "size" "offset" etc etc
      >
      > I can't find anything in the refs that points me in the right
      > direction. Does anyone have any insight on what the problem(s)
      > might be? Or what I might have to do to get this patch working on a
      > 2nd machine?
      >
      > I've not done a lot of collective building, so I'm not very au fait
      > with the kind of thing that can go wrong.
      >
      > thanks in advance for any advice!
      >
      > david
    • Sep 03 2007 | 7:44 pm
      On 3 Sep 2007, at 18:20, David Stevens wrote:
      > I've just tried this out with a much simpler patch, with fewer
      > subpatches, and I get the same thing happening - none of the
      > subpatchers will load properly when I try and run the collective
      > inside Runtime.
      No obvious problems here... (MaxMSP 4.6.3/Jitter 1.6.3, MacBook Pro,
      10.4.10.)
      -- N.
      Nick Rothwell / Cassiel.com Limited
      www.cassiel.com
      www.myspace.com/cassieldotcom
      www.loadbang.net
    • Sep 03 2007 | 9:09 pm
      On 3 Sep 2007, at 20:44, Nick Rothwell wrote:
      >
      >> I've just tried this out with a much simpler patch, with fewer
      >> subpatches, and I get the same thing happening - none of the
      >> subpatchers will load properly when I try and run the collective
      >> inside Runtime.
      >
      > No obvious problems here... (MaxMSP 4.6.3/Jitter 1.6.3, MacBook
      > Pro, 10.4.10.)
      I just spent a few hours turning ever lower levels of bpatchers and
      subpatchers into Collectives and seeing if they would load ok. In the
      end I tracked it down to 2 particular objects and I'm talking to the
      objects' author now to see if we can sort it out.
      thanks
      David