Retrieving User Input Text to label a GUI


    Jan 20 2007 | 8:41 pm
    Hi,
    This is probably a really basic question but I'll ask it anyway as I am stuck. I need to allow a user to input text (to name a field) and the name that they have typed appear in a message box or other appropriate object to label part of a GUI. I know of the textedit object for a user to type in but I cannot find any way of retrieving the text to display elsewhere.
    Any ideas?
    Many Thanks
    Andy

    • Jan 20 2007 | 9:07 pm
      Use the pak object to store the text and the set $1 command to retrieve it elsewhere.
      If I could see an example of what you are working with I could explain it better and perhaps be of some help.
      Thanks
      Rhys
    • Jan 20 2007 | 9:19 pm
      Hi,
      Thanks for the quick reply. I think the best way to demonstrate what I want to do is by showing you an image of my GUI as it stands at the moment. I have attached an annotated picture for you to look at.
      Many Thanks
    • Jan 20 2007 | 9:34 pm
      On 20 janv. 07, at 22:19, Andy Brennan wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Thanks for the quick reply. I think the best way to demonstrate
      > what I want to do is by showing you an image of my GUI as it stands
      > at the moment. I have attached an annotated picture for you to look
      > at.
      For those kind of things, as you're working on a very elaborate
      designed interface, I would recommend using the lcd object to display
      the text over an image (put the image in background of you're lcd,
      use the write message to add the text), or even the jsui object if
      you know JavaScript.
      Best,
      ej
    • Jan 20 2007 | 9:54 pm
      Something like this perhaps....
      max v2;
    • Jan 21 2007 | 12:08 pm
      I like using umenu and ubumenu for labels, like this:
    • Jan 22 2007 | 2:45 am
      That looks pretty cool... nice work on the design! I need to spend more time on that part of development.
      Here's a bit more on the text entry, an extension of Dr. Spankenstein's patch, hope it helps:
      -C
      max v2;
    • Jan 22 2007 | 6:07 pm
      Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going for the UBUMENU object as label. Its a bit limiting due to the fact that the background can't be transparent but I can work around that.
      The main advantage I have found is that the size of the box does not change if a long name is input. The problem I had with the message box ideas was that a long field name would enlarge the message box and mess up my design.
      many Thanks
      Andy
    • Jan 23 2007 | 12:16 pm
      Andy Brennan wrote:
      > Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going for the UBUMENU object as
      > label. Its a bit limiting due to the fact that the background can't
      > be transparent but I can work around that.
      It looks as you want to make a nice pluggo. But ubumenu doesn't work in
      pluggos (Its a VST limitation). You should take the umenu in transparent
      mode and add some spaces to center the text if necessary...
      > and mess up my design.
      Yes, don't mess it, congratualtion to the design, its very beautiful,
      and I would like to know how you made these nice 3D knobs, maybe you
      want to share some secrets like give a hands on tutorial how you created
      them?
      Stefan
      --
      Stefan Tiedje------------x-------
      --_____-----------|--------------
      --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()-------
      -- _|_)----|-----()--------------
      ----------()--------www.ccmix.com
    • Jan 23 2007 | 1:20 pm
      I get success using a jit.cellblock with only one cell, in place-edit
      mode (5), with a center justification. Link it to a named texedit, which
      is also linked to the jit.cellblock, then the pattr system will always
      remember it !
      Take a pattrstorage, put this in a bpatcher, select the label area,
      enter text, save preset, do a few, recall, magic....
      f.e
      f.e chanfrault | aka | personal computer music
      > >>>>>> http://www.personal-computer-music.com
      > >>>>>> |sublime music for a desperate people|
      Stefan Tiedje wrote:
      > Andy Brennan wrote:
      >> Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going for the UBUMENU object as
      >> label. Its a bit limiting due to the fact that the background can't
      >> be transparent but I can work around that.
      >
      > It looks as you want to make a nice pluggo. But ubumenu doesn't work
      > in pluggos (Its a VST limitation). You should take the umenu in
      > transparent mode and add some spaces to center the text if necessary...
      >
      >> and mess up my design.
      >
      > Yes, don't mess it, congratualtion to the design, its very beautiful,
      > and I would like to know how you made these nice 3D knobs, maybe you
      > want to share some secrets like give a hands on tutorial how you
      > created them?
      >
      > Stefan
      >