Forums > MaxMSP

Amusing little Wii Remote instrument

August 30, 2007 | 11:49 pm

I’ve made a small soft-synth based around Masayuki Akamatsu’s aka.wiiremote object. It uses a Karplus-Strong string model to generate the sound and it’s pretty responsive and fun to play. I made it into an Application so that all those Wii owning air-guitar players can easily use it, but feel free to ask me for the source code if you’re interested.

Sorry, it’s Mac only I’m afraid, until I can find a cross-platform wiimote object.

September 5, 2007 | 10:13 am

There’s a new version. It now lets you enter note numbers as notes, rather than as delay times, and it saves its presets properly, in a file. You’ll find instructions and links to download the Application and the source at

Any comments, suggestions or bug reports gratefully received.

September 6, 2007 | 3:58 am

Didn’t see the source in the update of your instrument…
What i would love to see is the ability to load one’s own
samples into your creation. Maybe utilize the arrow keys
to be able to jump from samples. Just my 2cents.

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

September 11, 2007 | 12:46 pm

Thanks for your interest Chuck. You’ll see a link for downloading the source at the bottom of the instructions page –

I like the idea of incorporating samples and I’ve got a plan for how to do it without making the user interface any more intimidating. I’ll try to have some kind of sample playback in the next version, and maybe a simple sample recorder in the version after that. I love the idea of someone playing the sound of their dog barking via a wii remote. Performance art for the masses.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums > MaxMSP