Forums > Jitter

blurring a float matrix?

February 24, 2012 | 1:20 am

okay, so I may be losing my marbles completely here, but… how on earth do you blur a float32 matrix?

jit.fastblur is char only, and the closest thing I’ve found is jit.avg4, which isn’t really it either.

My matrix is "mymatrixname 3 float32 100 100", so it’s rather small, and I can afford to throw some processing at it, but I *cant* do shaders, since I need this in matrix-land still.

any pointers? I reckon there might be a simple jit.pix hack I could do? I don’t mind quirky blurs, either.

February 24, 2012 | 2:08 am

One way is simply to downsample and then re-upsample with interpolation, but the more sophisticated way is convolution with jit.convolve, I think.

— Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. —
February 25, 2012 | 12:03 am

thanks. I love how jit.convolve’s help file AND reference assume that the jitter users know what convolving two matrices with each other entails. ;)

I’ll be using this, but damn, it ain’t pretty.

February 26, 2012 | 4:30 pm works pretty well also with float32 matrices, and it’s great! :)

February 26, 2012 | 10:46 pm

i would use, and then go back from openGL to CPU…

February 26, 2012 | 11:24 pm

slab processing for a small matrix which is just a tiny bit of a larger whole? Am I completely nuts for thinking that that is too convoluted? (pardon the pun)

February 27, 2012 | 12:13 am

well it depends what kind of blurring you’re after

February 27, 2012 | 2:02 am

well, I reckon what I’d really like is something like, but in matrix-land.

Do any of you have this wrapped up in an abstraction that handles the back-and-forth from- and to- matrices internally?

February 27, 2012 | 9:00 am

it’s not an abstraction but i hope it will help you anyway…

PS: the rendering context is made with jit.window, which is a bit annoying – there is a "useless" window floating. for some unknown reasons, my Max crashes if i make the rendering context with jit.matrix…? anyway, all you have to do is to adjust the dimensions…

February 27, 2012 | 10:14 am

February 27, 2012 | 4:32 pm

@napentro: Thanks, that is even sexyer solution! I removed also the videoplane and changed the "jit.pwindow @name maax" with "jit.matrix maax", to remove the unnecessary processing.

PS: Creating rendering context with jit.matrix seems to work for smaller matrices. I remember I had problems with larger ones…my Max always crashed. And even few moments ago that happened with 320×240 matrix. I don’t know what is the reason for that dodgy behavior…

February 27, 2012 | 4:58 pm

I played a little bit more with the patch and it seems that if creating rendering context with matrix, patch works slow and dodgy. Can anyone explain that?

February 27, 2012 | 9:23 pm

i think, that videoplane is nessesary. there is jitter tutorial 31RenderDestinations, that allows you to change the destination of opengl objects, but in my case when trying render to matrix pops up " invalid extension called" – maybe it is some kind of bug.

anyway i think, that videoplane is nessesary to send the context of renderer anywhere.

it is a modyfied version of the tutorial with " invalid extension called" error:

if it would work the patch with rendering gl.slab to matrix should looks like that:

or maybe i’am missing something @:)
after all sorry for my english :)

March 1, 2012 | 8:26 pm

i don’t get any errors in your first patch. also the last patch i posted (without videoplane) works. but as i said, it is dodgy. now, for instance, when i tested it again, it first didn’t work, then my Max crashed, but after i restarted it, it started to work.

i would expect that when i make the rendering context with matrix instead of window or pwindow, that the patch would run faster, since there is nothing (necessary) to display. but as i said, things start to crash, behave dodgy, works slow…???

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums > Jitter