Forums > MaxMSP

Date object inaccurate???


March 2, 2009 | 10:54 pm

I’m doing a project that requires things to happen at specific moments in time… not relative time, but the actual time.

I did something similar with a previous project with no issues in 4.6, but now the date object is reporting the wrong time. Specifically, it is 8 hours ahead (with minutes and seconds correct). This occurs in the date object help patch as well.

As long as it is always off consistently, I can work around it, but it’s weird that it’s reporting incorrectly so it makes me a bit nervous to rely on it.

I’m running max 5.0.5 on a windows vista pc…. anyone know what might be going on?

March 3, 2009 | 12:36 am

The [date] timezone bug has been fixed in 5.0.6 so if you update you shouldn’t have any more problems.

lh

July 29, 2013 | 10:48 pm

I’m running 6.1.3 and this is cropping up. The date object is 8 hours ahead.
Can anyone confirm? I’m on OSX 10.8.4


Spa
July 30, 2013 | 12:29 am

+1
today is 30 of july 2013 – 09h27min
and max object "date" report 29 of july 2013 – 17h 57 min
??????

July 30, 2013 | 3:17 am

[date] on my machine is 1 hour 4 minutes and 57 seconds too slow

"version" : "Version 6.1.3 (c65b953)",
"platform" : "mac",
"arch" : "x86",
"osversion" : "Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 x86_64"

this is very annoying as a lot of my work relies on this object to report the correct time and date so certain processes are triggered at the correct time, ie for installations etc

i guess there’s an mxj version i can resort to if necessary

July 30, 2013 | 4:05 am

@Floating Point:
[date] seems to work fine on my setup (which is similar to yours), both in 32 and 64-bit modes
"version" : "Version 6.1.3 (c65b953)",
"platform" : "mac",
"arch" : "x64",
"osversion" : "Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 x86_64",

July 30, 2013 | 4:24 am

Could it be a problem related to different local time zones?

July 30, 2013 | 10:10 pm

thanks for checking in on this. I’m working on a time critical piece and this is a bit worrying. It seems to possibly slip over time as well. I’m going to keep testing and report back if I find any more info. I’ll look at the mxj object as an option.

August 1, 2013 | 1:05 am

I also had issues with the date object, but wasn’t sure what exactly was wrong. Now i made a test and put the computer to sleep, woke it up again and it reported the wrong time.

I submitted a bug report over here:
http://cycling74.com/max6-bug-form/

Can we see submitted bug reports somewhere in the forum?

June 14, 2014 | 9:07 pm

It’s a pity that there is no bug repository.

On my machine, the date object give me 3 days earlier than the current day !!

October 4, 2014 | 4:11 am

Hello,

I’ve experienced this too. I believe this happens when you

(1) Start max
(2) Suspend your laptop for x hours
(3) Wake up your laptop, and continue in max.

The clock is then x hours out. Does this match your experience?

I’ve reported a bug.
Bjoern

October 4, 2014 | 5:06 am

I guess. I do suspend my computer when max is running quite often.

April 28, 2015 | 9:44 am

The date object seems to still exhibit this behavior in Max 7. I ended up using the most current version of the "shell" external, sending a "date" terminal command, and parsing out the date from reply.

— Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. —

Wil
April 28, 2015 | 5:14 pm

yep. Shell works. Even output KST (korean standard time) … here is a screenshot comparing shell to time object in max 7.

Attachments:
  1. Screen-Shot-2015-04-29-at-9.12.34-AM

    Screen-Shot-2015-04-29-at-9.12.34-AM.png

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums > MaxMSP