Dynamic Lists – Need help in making a poker hand history synth!!!
I am planning to make a musical device in Max that will read poker hand histories, splitting the text files into various chunks. I will use various parts of the text files to generate music or modulation parameters. In the example below, i have a list of 9 seats from the hand history text file and wish to split this into individual lines and store in a Coll object. My problem is that i can get seat 1 to appear fine when you bang the Coll, but cannot get the rest of the seats into the coll in the same format – i know the problem is the [zl iter 4], which only looks for 4 chunks of data to put into each line in the coll. Obviously when it gets to Seat 2, because "The Rumblist" is two chunks this line is actually 5 items.
My question is, is there a way round this, i.e. can i dynamically read in the list and get it into the coll in the correct manner?? Obviously I could format all the hand histories text files so that, for example, "The Rumblist" is re written as "TheRumblist", but i’d like to not have to do that!
Any help greatly appreciated!
----------begin_max5_patcher---------- 900.3oc0XszaiaCD9r7uBBgdnKf2.wWVOt0KEsnHs.8wo1EAzVL1LUhxPhZ2 jrX+uWpgR65zMVlIVQH6EIOCo47wO9MjC0GWDDtt5VYSHJC82nffOtHH.b04 Hn2NHrTb6lBQCzsv0sFSkNboqopVSgzXtauzMFgqE5sgn2027dgYyNkd6U0x MFWOXwWDsDQYq5dQhFd94+hJGBS05adKCODFcaoRaCD.A7Wb5BuyamyOsXQ2 ikdNWLxaMxbkYHLc1PC+gTXP3LzG1sUTcsTuE88eG9BZ5a9GMzDIC8m6jneu sbcgpwXaM5hjngVoYn2KM2eGNMEaahL3mkgJaaLhqEQ3HFLjrn2rDoZPMJiw xSH6Dpuy7LTgH+t2VVoUtthGFmUYnK+4eE8S+vuMLF8MDmg9Wa2kavoGF2jL zeo2IpyOzYZF5W10dS0kBM3dfCJTZ4lpVMPDoGaYNbIJTY6yR2OGcEGGg6Vk 4ovZMELvzislSF.x0UZiVTBQL7GaMs0Bzk1Uq1xmfpfcvf0ntGFLrMzSfXYJ 3DVBPJ3DR2q3zivIzWqbhV9AK.+pzm80x8RcNpQNBa4C8PS.dgCJGxQXG1jx N3GicHSI6ropnXTQzSRAEkzmbwGgh3u7BnNEryci38x7qrw0h0qDFSsxdlg6 PlfOyTAgxx0R.h.0531Ihguu.cSkRONI6A4RiYNY3n5uUOSxk7njKYFze1c2 k0GkcNbOr9sz7gqXvq3w4p3mIWweRBwoiqLn0nhwK1wWsTjqvGxnIpISZh5K uVxloorZID6ry0HwPsfbxn5mzuwx0LnBTzIqXvG5gxOs7gG8Ml7o1FMIBLOa 8iK+Z0n5GN90JAUJaZDake8l0ERQ8yqHJJTaIMENCiO5Ms3jIMuZBqg5but4 vtudbcSN8YdcSXvfKN8+tIMfmN+ObB1T0VuYXFLbQWzWvTtrwdYPgQYm3GzI 9C5zNUdtDZentqRU9daUOldPfd2iR2diIhGXhimUL0sBcZdhLu7DyGLQmWLw 8ASr4csi7BnwYIcGGxb40ovA.OzHBN0DaudKu25bo1UuBSUi8ASqlWLYqjEg 8ASX+wDl.mkQoQtuZR7iX4JiDSYcq3f0TLSNI6FOuISQ9vtcXh7jYWBG9hBX Vxws5+hLOzJ08srnwPIpoomMyy84XQfJlYl+jpgz4MWK0GLkbFXxZ7oE+G.7 laoI -----------end_max5_patcher-----------
I think the problem is rather the fact that textedit doesn’t output any carriage return, or newline or whatever, between the lines. The separator message won’t help as it doesn’t seem to accept special characters.
Do you have to use textedit? Maybe text is easier as you can get the lines separately.
Many thanks for taking the time to help me again!
I’m sorry but i’m not sure what you mean by  – is this an object in Max?? It doesn’t have to use the [textedit] – i tried it first using another [coll] as the input but this didn’t work.
I meant the text object, sorry.
Something like this, maybe (not sure what you’re after):
Paste your text into the textobject.
----------begin_max5_patcher---------- 772.3ocyXtriaBCEFdM4ovB0EsRYhvFCFlGftqqpT2TMZjSvcFOBLQfoctn4 cu3igl4R3VlDZ1fiO3X98m+8wFdZgi6576EktnKQ+D437zBGGHjIfSScG2L9 8aR4kPybyDkk7aDtKs2SKtWCw8Zirkq2bqTcy0EhMZaOSvdq7VhvXhovmrJn tR7JOzUM+GUUlTkJzvifzDTl.cb956tHrsy+UtRq3YB3N+PTjvUb2ccRdkts WvMQsgzOrUX0hq6+dplNqT9HbCizLQedwBykkijFJwep026fA7it4A1iX4Qj ofEZtRvcwC764AY57vuSdrD4tlqtwTJU5iJdVWo04pdHAkANBpEAdsWGMHn3 IN6CiTzUGvXwLmJRj52MY+cAWiBtDkxSd3hrbkD84OgWQweomwcLLySYXvGD A1AV7TF3960B70JcUAG8sZgVksezP6yHXL.Ks+rCif2wbcx1BwVgJAUJ5e4B fIpuc4R.3RHSAVzCEV+WyhrIOMcDXwCvRPrIq5zvRvIwCMfAx30sgK4+Vjbc sRpGRWy05BYc9B6tQN+iTNthr0BPz.Zsr8HQ3GSQ2kKUCCYeF0ZA626smstn gGJjI8B4Yw+UozhhQPGJTvFfNA6gNritE7kovNAao00N9n0nQrXkXYj8HPSa wZzQ2G0tq+bvmh5mtXv77D6A.fh.1jyyGfO+Wq004m2jJ38sTyOFLNwPdnfA NozdxCEPNu2CrKtjTkscXOSHaGVlzaV3et9lEcwi75CL0GOZNQMK5.ABatAB zF2To5suGJL5LweMkJyqJ1z9DZTLZ23KQTpkJtVV+dG6Zi4nNunQ2JSRDv8a OKRlLYa8IAzMZni2PXrRJbLRxnaxrII+QHovYERlr0CSonYUSjQHo2n6ygIN xrpn2Lmzi8dl0DdHME9pFMnlvDX2VeeaZzH1dpwr07olSzA09nijQkOadWpR CO+xwFPNAZhFYlFo1uDULLC+5JdA1ubmGzNSsOJZCFyvfNuS2zwnI+4US3Ss ErtxyK9KJ.eRFC -----------end_max5_patcher-----------
I had a search round and guessed you meant the [text] object and was just having a play with that myself! That solution you posted is pretty good! As i’m just starting on this project, i wasn’t entirely sure what i needed either, but this is certainly a good start. Many thanks Patrick (you da man!) and i will post more when i have ventured a bit further!
Here’s a simplified version of what i’m trying to achieve with this…i have put some arbitrary sounds in for now, but aim to create a sound object for each element of the text file, similar to what’s in the [route] object. I hope to put more emotional feeling into each decision perhaps, such as a deflated sound for folding or an elated sound for winning, etc. Will take a lot more work mind! Many thanks Patrick for helping me out!!
Patch attached as a ZIP as it contains the text file needed to run it…hit DUMP first then turn on the metro for some noises!
This is REALLY helpful! Thanks a million!
Forums > MaxMSP