Forums > Dev

GUI Toolkits for external with own window

March 16, 2007 | 9:40 am

Has anyone had success developing an external with its own window using a cross-platform (WinXP/MacOSX) GUI toolkit?

I’ve tried several toolkits including Juce, wxWidgets, FLTK, and FOX, but I couldn’t get them to work on MacOSX. Some don’t work properly when run in a separate thread (e.g. input from keyboard/mouse unavailable). Other’s crash intermittently, I think because they use the same non-thread-safe drawing functions that MaxMSP uses. Since most toolkits use a never ending loop to poll/listen/dispatch, running these loops in a separate thread is necessary.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but if you’ve had success with a GUI toolkit, please let me know. I promise I won’t badger you with questions :)

P.S. I’ve already considered spawning a separate process and using IPC, OSC, or TCP/IP to communicate with the external.

October 6, 2007 | 4:34 pm

Why did this go unanswered…

October 9, 2007 | 6:31 pm

Quote: Zola wrote on Sat, 06 October 2007 12:34
> Why did this go unanswered…

my guess is that no one has successfully done so. the ui system in max is odd, to say the least. luckily, it looks like max 5 does a lot to improve that, and may even go so far as to provide a basic cross-platform ui library itself.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Forums > Dev