Forums > Jitter

jit.wake in open gl?

February 3, 2009 | 4:21 am

I’ve searched through some of the old forum posts and it seems this question has been asked before. Would it be possible to make a shader that has the same sort of gradual ‘bloom’feedback effect that jit.wake or jit.glop have? I’ve tried making loops with co.accum and screen blending and some exposure control but it is more of a burn in effect and with very little control. I’ve sort of looked at a similar effect in quartz composer but I’m not strong enough with shader language to transfer it over, and the quartz effect wasn’t quite as full featured as jit.wake is. Is this kind of accumulator/convolution effect difficult to achieve on the gpu or is there something else?

February 3, 2009 | 3:28 pm

try the other co.***.jxs files, theres additive, glow, lighten, and many others, they might be of use to you for this, you can also use them for feedback. I got a nice glow effect by using included blur shaders, 3 of them in a row with different values and then fed them back through an additive composite slab, and then onto another composite slab to mix it with the original. does this help at all?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
February 3, 2009 | 4:14 pm

ooh very nice..i think i got what i wanted with just the right numerals and i added a color change thing so i could sort of adjust the color of the glow..thanks!

February 11, 2009 | 8:06 pm

cool, glad to help. Is it running smoothly and everything working out ok? I love shaders + slabs now, so much faster and allows me to use the cpu for audio, and gpu for visual, then I get everything running nicely at the same time!

February 11, 2009 | 10:45 pm

yeah i changed it a little bit and used co.accum at the top instead of co.additive and have some nice presets for sort of percussive blooms..its different looking than wake (harder to dial in long trails) but is much smoother and has much easier control over coloring

February 11, 2009 | 11:01 pm

You can get long trails by setting the type attribute of the slab to
float32. This will give you more precision and is ideal for precise
feedback. jit.wake uses floats internally for this very reason.

wes

February 12, 2009 | 6:59 am

Thanks for posting these sample patches.
Already adding the wake effects to my lib…
credits to Wes, Blair and Nic

J

On 11-Feb-09, at 6:01 PM, Wesley Smith wrote:

> You can get long trails by setting the type attribute of the slab to
> float32. This will give you more precision and is ideal for precise
> feedback. jit.wake uses floats internally for this very reason.
>
> wes
>
>
>

February 13, 2009 | 8:26 pm

woh how did you know my name?? crazy hehehe.

Man that patch is trippy as hell!! I been up for 2 days and I just stared at that thing for like an hour and bugged out! good work wes!!! So my question is, does float32 have a heavy cpu price? cause Id like to use it in some of my other feedback patches, but Im just concerned if it takes up alot more resources to run at that depth. I know with after effects when I use 32 bit color for glows and such, I often end up bogging down really fast, especially with HD comps!

Good work all!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums > Jitter