Forums > Jitter

Live performance


Jul 06 2007 | 1:03 pm

I am preparing for a live performance which will ask for three camcorder and four mic inputs.

Has someone experiences with this level of performance?
I would like to decide to use two computers one for audio and one for video, or to use a G5 running one patch with av together.
The second choice would be easier for me.
cheers

Jul 06 2007 | 1:37 pm

Quote: hans.mittendorf@free.fr wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 15:03
—————————————————-
> I am preparing for a live performance which will ask for three camcorder and four mic inputs.
>
> Has someone experiences with this level of performance?
> I would like to decide to use two computers one for audio and one for video, or to use a G5 running one patch with av together.
> The second choice would be easier for me.
> cheers
>
>
—————————————————-

The biggest problem as far as I know is that you can only use 1 dv input. So you’ll need to get yourself 3 uncompressed video firewire camera’s. I found this nice list of available firewire camera’s:

http://damien.douxchamps.net/ieee1394/cameras/index.php#LIST

As far I can tell from the forum most people use iSight or FireFly camera’s, probably for their low price.

Hth,
Mattijs

Jul 06 2007 | 1:47 pm

Quote: Mattijs wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 09:37
—————————————————-
> Quote: hans.mittendorf@free.fr wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 15:03
> —————————————————-
> > I am preparing for a live performance which will ask for three camcorder and four mic inputs.
> >
> > Has someone experiences with this level of performance?
> > I would like to decide to use two computers one for audio and one for video, or to use a G5 running one patch with av together.
> > The second choice would be easier for me.
> > cheers
> >
> >
> —————————————————-
>
> The biggest problem as far as I know is that you can only use 1 dv input. So you’ll need to get yourself 3 uncompressed video firewire camera’s. I found this nice list of available firewire camera’s:
>
> http://damien.douxchamps.net/ieee1394/cameras/index.php#LIST
>
> As far I can tell from the forum most people use iSight or FireFly camera’s, probably for their low price.
>
> Hth,
> Mattijs
—————————————————-
Or you can get two DFG1394 boxes, which gets kind of expensive–330US per box and 50US per driver–and put a DV cam on the end of the chain.

Jul 06 2007 | 1:58 pm

In a live performance we use 2 fire-i cams and 1 dfg1394 box, switching
between 2 dv cams, all connected over a firewire hub to a macbook pro 2.16
For audio we have 4 mics on a motu ultralite with a powerbook.
Both labtops connected over ethernet to change contol data.
Works fine.
Martin
http://www.blackhole-factory.de

Am 06.07.2007 15:03 Uhr schrieb "Hans Mittendorf" unter
:

>
> I am preparing for a live performance which will ask for three camcorder and
> four mic inputs.
>
> Has someone experiences with this level of performance?
> I would like to decide to use two computers one for audio and one for video,
> or to use a G5 running one patch with av together.
> The second choice would be easier for me.
> cheers
>
>
>

Jul 06 2007 | 5:29 pm

I have no problem with that because I have 2 isight and one dv input. The question was directed to find out if audio and video in the same patch are stable

Jul 06 2007 | 5:30 pm

Did you run the audio and video in the same patch?

Jul 06 2007 | 7:56 pm

That depends on how much audio processing you are doing, and how much of the video processing you can pass off to the GPU. But, in general, it’s quite possible.

Tim

Jul 07 2007 | 7:22 pm

Audio and video in the same patch are perfect when you have multiple cores in your computer. Video will take one and dsp another (so you can use the other two for the OS ;)

Mattijs

Jul 08 2007 | 11:26 am

Thanks, that’s good news. Do I have to set for preferences or does it do that automatically?

Jul 08 2007 | 1:49 pm

Quote: hans.mittendorf@free.fr wrote on Sun, 08 July 2007 13:26
—————————————————-
> Thanks, that’s good news. Do I have to set for preferences or does it do that automatically?
—————————————————-

Everything is managed by the OS, you don’t have to set any preferences.

Mattijs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums > Jitter