Forums > MaxMSP

Max 6 bug: mp3 won't load – "cannot open parser for this file"


May 20, 2013 | 2:46 pm

Hey!

I try to load mp3 to buffer~ with "import" msg but I get this error "cannot open parser for this file". I have got same error when loading float64 files with "open" msg.

Any solutions?

May 20, 2013 | 2:47 pm

… MBP, OS X 10.7, MaxMSP 6.1.1 (32-bit)…

May 21, 2013 | 6:42 am

I don’t think Max supports mp3. You’ll have to convert it to a .wav or a .aif first.

May 21, 2013 | 8:31 am

Of course it does :) Check help files for buffer~ and find "import" message. In Max 5 it works smoothly but it stops with new release…

May 21, 2013 | 9:04 am

It’s working ok for me.

Please send examples of both types of file into support so we can check this out

Cheers

-A

May 22, 2013 | 3:12 pm

Thanks for that – yep I can repro some weirdness.

We’re doing some work on buffer~ right now, so we’ll throw these on the pile

Cheers

-A

May 23, 2013 | 5:44 am

keeping my fingers crossed :)

January 30, 2014 | 7:13 am

Hi everybody,
any updates on this?

It looks like the issue is still here.
At least on my Win7 64bit Max6.1.6

Thank you

April 6, 2014 | 7:39 pm

I also have this issue, simply using the importreplace command, Win7, Max 6.1.6 (64-bit).

September 23, 2014 | 7:33 am

Hi, I had the same issue: I think it can be solved quite easily:

Just install Quicktime (to be sure with ALL possible install options), then restart everything. Should be working now.

September 23, 2014 | 9:50 pm

I’m also wondering about updates on this. I have installed quicktime (looks like v7.75.80.95) but i still get this error. Running windows 8.1. (is there a windows 8 version of quicktime? The site mentioned windows 7 and less, but i didn’t see anything about win8…)

October 28, 2014 | 2:49 pm

Hi,
same problem here, but it now works.
I was using a polyphonic patch to play multiple sounds, everything was working fine while the file with teh patch was on my HD, I then moved the same folder on an external firewire HD; that’s when all problems started.
I fixed it by moving the same folder back to my main HD.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes

F

October 28, 2014 | 2:51 pm

Hi,
same problem here, but it now works.
I was using a polyphonic patch to play multiple sounds, everything was working fine while the file with the patch was on my HD, I then moved the same folder on an external firewire HD; that’s when all problems started.
I fixed it by moving the same folder back to my main HD.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes

F

November 7, 2014 | 12:35 pm

I think for me at least this is a 64-bit Wiindows issue. As stated at https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/max-6-1-released/:

However, we’d like to balance expectations here. Since this is our first 64bit release, we will not have all of the features of the 32bit version, especially regarding Jitter and QuickTime support. QuickTime is simply not available on Windows under 64bit, where we will rely on DirectShow for movie playback (to playback QuickTime files you will need a third party plugin for DirectShow). Apple’s QTKit API on Macintosh 64bit has fewer features than the 32bit version of QuickTime, and requires a dramatic rewrite of our code base. We’ve only implemented the most basic of functionality for movie playback at this time on both platforms. We will be continuing to work on Jitter video playback and other QT features in the 64bit version, but many features are not present and may not make it to the 64bit version ever.

November 8, 2014 | 11:52 pm

For what it is worth, I use 32 bit and MP3 files import just fine.

January 28, 2015 | 8:48 am

Check that there are no symbols anywhere in the audio file’s path. This finally solved it for me!

February 15, 2015 | 2:44 pm

use importreplace on the buffer obj, not replace alone. Works on max 32bits only (quicktime runs only in 32bit mode)

February 16, 2015 | 7:24 am

Hi,
same problem here, but it now works.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)