Forums > MaxMSP

Max/MSP is not a major 'host' application


Apr 29 2008 | 1:25 am

Here’s a quote that was included with a recent reply from Native
Instruments.

"Max/MSP is not a major ‘host’ application as I had said. The majors
are, for
example, Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc…"

etc…includes Frooty Loops, Garage Band and some other.

Are we alone on an island?

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
TIMARA Department
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson

Apr 29 2008 | 3:17 am

Gary Lee Nelson wrote:
> Here’s a quote that was included with a recent reply from Native
> Instruments.
>
> "Max/MSP is not a major ‘host’ application as I had said. The majors
> are, for
> example, Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc…"
>
> etc…includes Frooty Loops, Garage Band and some other.
>
> Are we alone on an island?

no, you are in good company (Csound, Pd, Supercollider…).
marius.


Eli
Apr 29 2008 | 3:31 am

Max/MSP is fun, and while you create pacthes you also build tremendous problem solving skills.

I know PT inside and out, and it is a fabulous composition tool, but it does not have the random number-having, precise human interactivity and flexibility that Max/MSP has.

When they say "host" they mean it in the technical sense, in that a "host application" ferries different forms of info in and out of software and hardware using Rewire and, my friends term, "cables and shit".

Max is a fine host. Native Instruments is a silly name for a company.

Apr 29 2008 | 3:56 am

They’re no doubt referring to DAW-type applications.

As for the desert island, you’ve got the tools to
build your own raft, jet ski, kava distillery, or
whatever.

Apr 29 2008 | 4:01 am

Well seeing as how Max does not support the VST interface
properly, they just may have a point.

Apr 29 2008 | 8:58 am

"Max/MSP is not a major ‘host’ application as I had said. The majors are, for example, Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc…"

I think the key word is ‘major’. Though I am reading this quote out of the context of whatever thread it is on, I don’t think it is a debate of whether or not max is a ‘host’.

In that sense, I would have to agree. The above mentioned DAWs have very wide spread use. You can pick up Pro Tools at Guitar Center and Logic at the Apple store.

At the same time, no one is pretending that Max/MSP is trying to compete in that market. Thankfully, Max is in a class of its own.

Apr 29 2008 | 12:03 pm

I context is…

Kontakt3 works great as a Max plugin but there is substantial
breakup in the audio when K3 runs as a separate app with midi control
vis IAC from Max. They pointed me to a page of possible remedies
that I haven’t yet digested. My issue was that rather than
addressing the fact that it was their app that wasn’t performing,
they passed the buck.

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
TIMARA Department
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson

On Apr 29, 2008, at 4:58 AM, Nick Inhofe wrote:

>
> "Max/MSP is not a major ‘host’ application as I had said. The
> majors are, for example, Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc…"
>
>
> I think the key word is ‘major’. Though I am reading this quote out
> of the context of whatever thread it is on, I don’t think it is a
> debate of whether or not max is a ‘host’.
>
> In that sense, I would have to agree. The above mentioned DAWs have
> very wide spread use. You can pick up Pro Tools at Guitar Center
> and Logic at the Apple store.
>
> At the same time, no one is pretending that Max/MSP is trying to
> compete in that market. Thankfully, Max is in a class of its own.
>
>
>
>

Apr 29 2008 | 4:10 pm

Eli Stine schrieb:
> Max is a fine host. Native Instruments is a silly name for a company.

And Max is a competitor to Reaktor, they probably tend to ignore a
competitor they can’t possibly follow up… ;-)
I guess there are more switching from Reaktor to Max than the other way
around. Can’t imagine why one should do either… ;-)

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
— _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums > MaxMSP