Forums > Jitter

moving into a openGL space

March 4, 2009 | 1:38 pm

Hi all,
i’m trying to build a 3d universe and move the camera inside pointing the mouse on the direction i want to reach. I find it quite difficult. I’d like to giev some coordinates by pointing the mouse on the render window and control a speed parameter to move inside. The problem is feeding the right parameters to the camera base on its current position and "look at" vector. After some trigonometry i thought maybe getting information form the would be much easier. Anyone should have tried something similar. Any idea/code sample on how to do that?
Any discussion is much appreciated, i see it quite challenge for me!

March 4, 2009 | 3:07 pm

I don’t know if it could help you, but you should have a look at AdvancedCamera.pat example?

March 4, 2009 | 3:27 pm

Thanks Kyred it looks really nice! I’ll have a look… Did not think it could be so difficult… but it’s a good starting point saving me lots of maths!

March 4, 2009 | 3:54 pm

I’ve made several different GL navigators here that allow you to fly around 3D-engine-like.

Processing versions available here:

March 5, 2009 | 6:00 am

Here’s a click-and-drag camera rotation patch that I just whipped up. Made something like this in Processing and have been meaning to put a Max version together. So here it is. Hope someone finds it useful!

— Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. —
March 5, 2009 | 1:12 pm

Hi Zach, thanks i’ll try your stuff soon. In the mean time i managed to modify the "advanced camera" example and it works quite fine. But i can always learn from more experience user! By the way would it be possible for you to re-post the previous patch in max 4 format? I’m still old school Wink.
Alberto / JesterN

March 5, 2009 | 2:06 pm

Here’s a snapshot of the Max5 patch. You can download the patch and run it through that SC converter script – that should work as there are no Max5-only objects.

March 5, 2009 | 3:05 pm

Great Thanks

March 5, 2009 | 3:10 pm

I just made it into an abstraction, for ease of use. I’ve attached it here, and also included it in my abstraction package on the website. Picture included as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums > Jitter