Has anyone been able to get the aka.wiiremote object to work with more than one Wiimote? I have the unique address of each Wiimote, and I’m using a different object to attempt to connect to each Wiimote, but I can only connect to one at a time successfully.
There was a previous forum thread that described a similar problem with the tk.wii object: http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=rview&goto=109246&th=27093
And Masayuki Akamatsu says that it should work with more than one wiimote:
I’m using a MacBook running Max/MSP 4.6.3, and the most recent version of aka.wiiremote (1.0B6)
Thank you for your help.
I have managed to use three at once.
I don’t think I did anything special.
Each Wii remote needs to be paired with the computer through the
bluetooth panel (you only need to do each one once), then just set
one to seek (flashing blue lights), and then send one object a
connect message. Wait for device to connect (lights stop flashing)
and then repeat with other devices, sending connect message to
seperate wiiremote object each time.
>Has anyone been able to get the aka.wiiremote object to work with
>more than one Wiimote? I have the unique address of each Wiimote,
>and I’m using a different object to attempt to connect to each
>Wiimote, but I can only connect to one at a time successfully.
hi irshem –
i posted a similar post (albeit not under the multiple wii’s thread) about the same time as you did…
am having a similar problem with trying to get multiple wii’s running. have run two objects seperately, setup with different addresses (of each of the wii’s) but only one will detect at a time – and it’s not always the same one.
have been running this on OSX 10.4.9 and strugged for many hours the other day. ran an OSX upgrade to 10.4.10 yesterday. now for some reason i can detect both! not sure if the upgrade actually did anything, but it may have helped the situation.
as per nick’s suggestions:
– get one wii connected an running with the object first and wait until light’s stop flashing.
– then get the second wii running (using the same method and a different object and connect message.
what i did notice when i couldn’t get it working the other day, was that i was getting the message "status: connect -1" in the Max window.
hope this helps too.
If I start to get -1 messages in the Max window then its difficult to
get things running well again. Seems to happen 25% of the time. It
feels like the Wii is paired to the machine, but not talking to Max,
and I have not found a quick way to get that going again.
I quit the patch and Max and restart it, and sometimes have to take
the batteries out of the Wii and put them back in to make sure that
all connections are re-established new.
>what i did notice when i couldn’t get it working the other day, was
>that i was getting the message "status: connect -1" in the Max
>quit the patch and Max and restart it, and sometimes have to take
>the batteries out of the Wii and put them back in to make sure that
>all connections are re-established new.
i’ve found i have to do the same when i start to see -1 error codes.
i’ve also just had the opportunity to test this on a colleague’s computer (who has a MacBook Pro) and i haven’t run into the same -1 errors so far.
i’ve spent another hour or two setting up multiple wii’s again…
firstly under the configuration:
PowerMac G4 12inch
running MaxMSP 4.6.2
From this configuration i was sucessfully able to get two Wiis running at a time
then i was able to switch to a colleague’s computer with the following config:
MacBook Pro 15inch
running MaxMSP (Runtime version) 4.6.3
Now, this allowed me to sucessfully configure and run six Wii’s at once.
So far I’ve only been monitoring the datastream visually with the aka.wiiremote object, and haven’t begun to actually look at the data … but atleast i have managed to get 6 running at once.
Ran a top in the terminal window and it seems that Max takes approx 18percent CPU to run 6 Wiis on the MacBook Pro. (And that’s probably taking a fair bit of that percentage in drawing the visual displays of the data)
So far (with my 1.5 day of experience with the Wiis) as i can tell, on the "older" powerbooks, getting one or two running seems okay, provided you’re using recent releases of the OS and Max.
However if you’re lucky enough to have a newer intel machine – and also using newer releases of the OS and Max, then the possibilities (and stability) seems to be much greater. Up to 6 isn’t a bad effort.
Another thing to note – is that i did run into the problem with the Force Feedback not working on the Powerbook 12inch at all with any of the Wiis. As soon as I switched over to the MacBook Pro force feedback wasn’t a problem. worked straight away. (Tested this out really quickly with the DarwiinRemote tool.)
will report on any further progress along the way (supposing further progress actually happens!)
Forums > MaxMSP