patch that was working won't load
I have a patch that I work on intermittently, and after setting it aside for about a year, I returned to it today, but I could not get it to load. Max opens the frame for a quicktime window and one of the subpatch windows but never completes loading…It just loads the frames and hangs there. THe reason I am posting in the jitter forum is that the patch relies extensively on cv.jit add on objects, particularly the centroids object. I am not sure if that is causing the problem. I have the path to the objects in max set properly as I can load other patches with a qt and cv.jit objects no prob. I have not changed computers. I think I updated version 5 at some point to 5.07. I have attached the patch if anyone has to to try it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
What do you normally have to do to get things started, and what should be seen once it gets going? Do I have to have a midi keyboard plugged in, I see there’s some audio going on? If I patch a preview window out of the grab, I’m getting video. Something around the centroid appears to have a problem.
Also, I noticed that in your jit.window, your 320 x 240 ran into each other, and have 320240. Didn’t seem to help, so there’s something else going on too.
I know that in Max MSP 5, you can’t create VST plugins any more, but I don’t know if they changed anything in your ability to load them. You might check that out, as I see two vst loads on the bottom half of your patch.
|v8media wrote on Sun, 09 August 2009 18:30|
|What do you normally have to do to get things started, and what should be seen once it gets going?|
Once it loads, when it loads, it has a video camera input that is translated into midi output via cv.jit.centroids. The midi runs either or both of a general midi setup or two vstis, one on the right channel and one on the left. So I have to fire up the camera, turn on the dac, and set up whatever vsts and general midi patches I am using. The two vsts are not loaded at startup. they have to be loaded manually after the patch loads, and they can be any vsti synth. all the audio is coming either from general midi in the sound card or the vst from the dac. All the midi comes from the video via centroids.
|Do I have to have a midi keyboard plugged in,|
no, all the midi comes from the video.
|I see there’s some audio going on?|
vst and midi output
|If I patch a preview window out of the grab, I’m getting video. Something around the centroid appears to have a problem.|
I can’t get the patch to load at all…it freezes with empty qt frame and an empty subpatch that load on startup. Maybe I am missing something that needs to be there for the video to work? I’m running max on xp, and I had to put in windvd to get it to work with the cam at all.
|Also, I noticed that in your jit.window, your 320 x 240 ran into each other, and have 320240. Didn’t seem to help, so there’s something else going on too.|
|I know that in Max MSP 5, you can’t create VST plugins any more, but I don’t know if they changed anything in your ability to load them. You might check that out, as I see two vst loads on the bottom half of your patch.|
They don’t actually load anything until after the patch comes up, so I cannot get that far even. I’m pretty sure they way max 5 handles (rather than produces) vsts has been improved. It was really kludgy in 4.6, when I wrote the original patches and seemed to be much better when it was working in 5.
Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall max? I can load simpler patches with all the components though, so I think it is the patch, not the installation. One weird thing is that Max only runs under one under one user account, even though it is installed under all users.
Again, thanks the help…I have an opportunity to use this patch at an installation, which is why I got back into it, but not if I can’t get it to load!
At some point I went over the number of VST plugins allowed by Max, either by adding one too many, or by Max imposing the limit. I use and test a lot of plugins, so I need to have them, so the workaround was to set the registry pointer for the plugins to a special max directory where I keep a limited number of plugins that I use in Max. Fortunately, I have no other programs that rely on this registry value, so it works.
Took a week or so to troubleshoot this…would be nice to get an error message or something other than a program freeze, or lacking that, some documentation saying there is an upper limit to the number of plugins max will allow. It would also be nice if you could set the vst directory in the file prefs rather than having it automatically read from the registry value.
Thanks for those who helped me troubleshoot this.