Phasor lock distortion
I’ve been trying to use a transport-locked phasor~ to playback some loops via wave~. Unfortunately, I’ve noticed that when phasor’s lock mode is set to 1, it creates a lot of aliasing/distortion on the wave~ playback.
I’ve tried using play~ as well (with a little math) and got the same result.
I realize that this may be due to how phasor~ syncs itself with the transport, but I’m hoping there is some way around it.
Here is an example patch, you’ll have to supply your own 1 bar loop though.
----------begin_max5_patcher---------- 1039.3oc6YssiapCE84juBDpOlF4afMm252PerppxCwSFZALGvYlospy2d8E HgDfIPRTRNRmQJIXC38Zs16s81d987Y9OHeUT468Odewa1reOe1LaWlNlU2d leF+03Tdk8w7ikYYhbk+B28ThWU19+rP4oDYExl6jrx1u7gu+QHtoy7MYxMp TgxNXf5dK3p3mRxW+sRQrxAFZvRvBOL17cn8ZDXIv6q0uwixbUNOSXMwmJS3 o9stSUxur2AhVB1Y3j7F6BM88m4yMesXj7NW7hlJcn8K7mEu48vlGeD1GwA8 Sb3vDGEY.sGDCM+PC6Pc2vn9Ygv8B9UIqy07+BoM3SPaTx0qSEMV4Yd4VymJ i+QO5Bgcp5BB1HHGSVRzAoau6Y69yDUU70hN9eCA89Pe9dR3oxw.a7NIxFGv dONdob5ny1o2l3joS75T7H5sx6pDku0.6hRoRZr0NA8e2v6goXzjYJlvrjiX iis9Cuv193W3kYwxTYo64AKCQTR.bg9JVDCfiLWEAfQg59fumD8Xpj2RjzC5 p8FXDNBACMCWHACwTyUTf1FjCF3mEk5gZ+WFPnf.GVzuJJn8Use4mjp8YS.I BfrlJTODVySYZ6efQUhhj8sHYK6oXyeC8l2rfA3zCFvn+OX39NXXfk8Wwiey C5g5IN.wlbwN0y6iIDabfKP3BVuyoL89ZdR9a8QOZ+zC8Ng4LaULPJa2r6Px XpoYw6MQ+EkUgSlUnH78BqFHHs3IdkrTGml2GiCN0xSbeSgW6JSQWvx1JEEo 739pdAdBSiyrN+Pa7P.39trsAhUL6fQup2f6jI5Dx5sJgKKYWRxwVhRmb7.O es+MbqdCVY6z20hqZu.7sor1880s2W1FBJD.zKZC5DIv2njZlnJ6Q.FXVRxv B.zslVfaiMQKCNlBXB.194REDT2YonRIKE0JVsjMysIUGZaLnQOLmkgq2PKh s2v5AlpePGYqwSe9ggNwDxjS2nshzB.+GJaafIjTk77pBYopu4n6WcXGScft SO.BwGONzjItX6OaUqtWz4otCWtyFl0+wTL8sv5zxHXcF8MY0N6P5mlje3gW Zwqo+8UoJ4lx3F.0b5Ld6.8J8LCI4bUhLu0CYpQp0C8TxpUh710xmkrpPpc9 0fvMGQGe1XwzAlqeLYNRwqHlNvbCnSzogIL.ZR.gtS8AG411io0UAsgmFZcy sZZYK6mb9nENBzFccCAGUZA65hI5XwD75pSvKdZgKe.ZmTESQcaAo6kxPO+T lQotlC5bRLwguFrGF1sEB6XR.YaqqQrKFN8j+VXGQ51BgYt+WUrssNSlXNA8 6srPBaDXhDdUwzXfzD82AT6b8Pqujsqw4pdiwgNMj5.GqEPYmONQWdEcODoa 7m4+E3I452A -----------end_max5_patcher-----------
I’m not hearing it. But since I have no idea what machine, OS, etc. you’re running on (I’m doing the current beta, MacBook Pro, 10.5.3, in the interests of reciprocity), I’d be guessing. Your airport is off, right?
I didn’t realize it, but overdrive and audio interrupt were off. I turned them on and it fixed the problem. Strange!
On 25 juin 08, at 22:28, Nick Inhofe wrote:
> I didn’t realize it, but overdrive and audio interrupt were off. I
> turned them on and it fixed the problem. Strange!
Overdrive and scheduler in audio interrupt must definitely be both on
in order to make sure of a tight synchronisation.
Ah – there it is. Something like this would have
been a good deal more helpful (since you can
pretty clearly a/b it to verify).
----------begin_max5_patcher---------- 1113.3ocwY00jhiBE8Y8WAUp8s0oq.g709ztUMOO+A5pqoPCpYlHXkfc2SO0 z+1W9HoEswXzDiOHAHDx4d3buvM96oS7lyekV4A9GvifIS98zISzco5XRc6I daHutnfToGlG8sLxh28lYtEa2F9NQAUnuoecuaIhEqyYq9dIcgvL4H+jG7mA vvH0kPTSI3o5mIOSO874+3KvXqoOm0L6HUe+Y5TUwrNhVF8E4L1LcB5qZ338 2.naK.V2qoKwu1RMv2KmIexFrtjyDLxF8879uxbRg2YsbXju5R.5gvYx9Ngk G41xsduU4uoeuPI4cEDhfuZUAs4s7Lo7C6nfu3mOBepO7x1RZEkIHhbNyhAv ooJSGgzq590E6epSyYH8EjeSoSNKzImAGN0REsPhLd46.zExNU4qXRwQ+DNo ZZKtcR.6jDBFNgyxBtbpcIbDzMa4mT4fNE2HmPhvaFvaNgs5rZnvHS3CnSIz kwqwZBMUOiwosRqH2ZqgiVOgja6ZRkRvAYf+U4Xdwwq5kxqNJcs6GDlzFGEe qCYsaCksq4krVGvQ1623BJ3YRwNJ3qfu.HYY.BC7XIf87WeBHAlzZ.K4k.w5 7Jy.cIdKIBJ1M2137PJK4uTjy9o8VbNCDJEy5e6oIouQ8tqdPl5dyTEPVlUc wG0QLqpYV02ODLypZlU88CIgYUMyp99g.iX10yrareTAV3IvFPA1HJxBRQ1X JxFTRsD6fFYGzxZSj4qVvK3kFVy+gjvjDDdlyZvNEBPsHUuH7wn0qoG8lrBr b3T6xCwOPOpXcTIcoxKwk+Ax2y9ktrrFj9sEYgTH8eOnC0yZ+XpPEcC9G3B5 OjQoDkDVUgzCBvjdiZerJv52tvPUd8JLdDVauA31hQEduCi+vndvACyTG9Np 0n2A25n2mfYdg7L8cPEeC86LddE8NbvJDxHcfsJcf925SVshjyd+BO7Ts8O6 3Cf6vXwlCNZzDliRCwmvXQCWlW2XqpdIraVUzfYUanUUjUzOImKoaKHKniZj OTrV3F521tOP3cxAe9tkKokm2E+RyO3ZXp.+ZO8n17zSu0aRbXt2WUB1NLwT y2UHw+7oJmLXYJelrAuCK0AHadHrUd.emNNf97Ra4kB27SxYxsn9xGr0mq7o Q0KtDiqy+Kn0uY0sN.yoh4pUZf+BNNAca3DSxvgosdj+qkRzSlmLWyi+lrZ. o5+PdphuqbQig0bZEvdLkQqD4L82RwZPp8CsFz57rLJyN2hM4Ya4RcTMHPxz bTB.SdNn5nnQZi2454vh13qCslkHjQCqa0Wzh6.ZOxjNKZ6Ilh6BjT3FMZPJ nqPBNZPRcHnyhozQcgS6CBGXoeewTmTSwi5R2QwpZASiGOAi5pDeDwTXWvTz 3hITGvTvnBoNwRnw0qyuCQBBuLHgQQp8.C0+aInDXSiw.pibLqtrfNpHpKmR 3BUXAnT0JHFFZ9Kj22pmXMY3YOTpAc3CvJ9XrJa7mo+O7RDm7 -----------end_max5_patcher-----------
Sounds here like they’re *both* doing *some* aliasing,
which I might expect. But the idea is that the locked
phasor~ is considerably more intolerable on your system?
It’s there, but not quite so screamingly. Perhaps what
I’ve got in this folder has too much high-end in it (or
perhaps I like aliasing….).
It might also help to ask about what kinds of loops
you’re running through this (external soundcard?], etc.
You can still use timevalue syntax if the phasor is not locked. My example was fine. The overdrive/AI made the difference.
Its funny though, since phasor~ is signal rate anyway. I’m sure its some backend stuff I don’t understand.
phasor~ locking requires precise and regular updating of the current time, which is only provided by overdrive and SIAI. There will still be some aliasing with any tempo-locked phasor however.
If you don’t lock the phasor~, you can use any configuration you want. You might be able to get away with "cheap" locking by resetting the phase to 0 when the clock starts. Then you have two free-running clocks that started in the same place…but it might work for a while.
Thanks for the info! For what I’m doing, the locked phasor in overdrive is fine. I’m not even sure why overdrive was turned off in the first place!
Forums > MaxMSP