rm.slice transients in buffer~ problem
Hello beautyiful people.
Here is a dropbox link to the project file. This is so, that you can have the same audio file I’m using as I’m working on this.
<code>-- Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. --Copy all of the following text. Then, in Max, select New From Clipboard.----------begin_max5_patcher---------- 1399.3oc4Y00aihCE84jeEHz9X1HrAaf8ot+NpFUYBNIzg.Q1NocmQS+su9C fPlALTDMa5Npp.1Pf68bO2i8096KW3lT9Jk657WNO5rXw2WtXgtKUGKpZuv8 .40M4Dt9wbOP4bxNp6Jy8DzWE59E6YT9dGu0dgAXXX88yyJnaJOUneH+pNOR Da1mUr6IFciv7wAwgq8V4DDATmPd5Fn0dNeo52jkp+LkIO+m.X8aeaYgnfbf pu0eyxH402o7jHmJD+yQp486517lT+Hd12z2..keHS2EmNjUH+MZ2DdoSyaR 2KP04OVtTcX0HwqjSBQYgqEO2OP6rgwpSPu5ic44w85dIjhcWbwq7Evr4KEz WjVwuF5cRj+kOBeL.qOgs4inIDb0d+pKmeeA6tAH+4CfxKIoFSqWDxv9i0Qe rUNf+TwmY.SlBooOACF8XNYC0gKAh7mxKeYMIa6PHDBnyR.fH8ontgnOS5Cz ukR17lE+FEnycvA90Zh8qLhZ77QXsdyGAOkejKHBpU+.ZR9i0gNruMNdP7Dh fYxAYj49akYa5KpZqNMTrcSYdIy7Z7VijogvUxKv9HXbf5pPDNB6KIbsL2Qj tDLADVZ9xWhU9fYHRnlVfrqk5MLNdjvj8KnrmnEjjb8S30GF2.tykhRM0LY2 UwfXbPnGdUmWoCBynPDm47GfQ.3Hki43GZS4A07hpbHXsGEE5ghhV04UsoUy oj0NFIMiZl6E3cHi0cLILJB5izQBPnLVnsaUSY9BHFOoXh7CmPY1T80pE9Xz koE1qnQzLS1qDPlMp9LxYkeLddlbzSqL2JvKVqTDBrQbCvehFybPMxPCoweD jlf6dExYj1TUjlcRSKNC1Nm4yz7rFToAfPiVpwO72Gol7xxulP17U6rlZzqR qAYi23i9eEuwTaK1LwfA3Mvee3M6nh5QorgdQZ.CYptw9XTvnOQ7lAG4F54s 1Bv3GhMJvZ1EvCaEY9LM5cO0PJmqYtifQJ3TIqlaiy.zzDLVO8ln.aYbvIMF 0pV+OCoUAU8xImooOIMKoq7DQHXYImDlkecQCXsvkJUbRapP2.uyDHe30mcX GVaXfZvVUefCv4g17RmGtrZt9NOzLB.vaXcPjIg12jJ2aXALgvRdFucg8+WU U+LtvfIm1tkxdqUj.444M3hfYpDE.CsAwSAguKl7pjFldYD2yDViwatyifuL DBEZJRGVM+U0Jn04DXsMlasCUxTAFhHqrnsNnM4TEJJu+wSWU4cCB9tVw0tp E23UMGZS.LRLMZKVTYNSxOQK2V2cc+sACYYV65E7u5I46KYhw8n0PleG2Kq3 bFOqN.XtuQ9aZpfuHQiskrCuMVBCTOwUXXe67j2voNVtnV.6BU4bNIgly6cA ZP0gesPQC.2nWTaNbZtzgH4G2SzCbrta1DtEFpsA89y8S6+mFiT8eMvxKOw1 T6sUaTiCrwSRobQVQSZxiW1pN4nK0Oz9rzTZQ6YzllwUIbo8ufzi0bTUU33M f8b8y7QZNpET4dxbf2UlyX3Np4HbCMGv.lS7M0ZFJT4CGvbNjkdrTOQZyPFx BrPpcY1TNgYQNttEBaDA86pkoZDfY6outE1rSDUeAcqKF+rAJwi.TtgLlfQX NAA2LyweLnyMyZFiVyML4FbeQcTaJ2vRwCYOWUbiYRfUG.eH4epsjcPMxex0 tCr5nwjmhucxFiR231kopVH6gGq41Mu.+wHc.ugJYQ2WZGvQIs5c0rqFdtAx wwUibaV6dvZ3uz.YVJx30UM9.xT0f3fSIDeyJm.BtuXhfQH+NYhnoVPxwimo Ld06TaIxxoe1HXiWoalUXZpquzkQU0qaddc87tDlr9ZgrVzSLSopuFgcWp9N +X4+BodLvd. -----------end_max5_patcher-----------
And here is the compressed patcher, if you don’t feel like downloading the whole project, although it is very small.
Anyways, my problem.
My passion for the moment, is sampling live sounds and/or music and using one buffer~ to create whole landscapes of sound. Philosofy being, to make a whole performance from one sentence or one phrase. Granular and pads and stuff like that is sorted. Now I would like to quickly find the impulses or transients in this phrase. I’ve tried with rm.slice and descriptors but I can’t seem to get it to work.
Looks like rm.slice is goo at finding startpoints, if they are very clear, like drums, but with this guitar sample, it seems like it’s not doing so well.
What I’m imagening, is that I set a threshold level for transient to start and another lower threshold for it to stop. So a tone can ring out and still be in the same "chunk"
I would also like to be able to have a small pre-fade, for instance, if the attack is gentle, I could the "chunk" start a few ms before transient start threshold is reached.
Quite a tall order, I guess, but I’m sure, I’m not the only one who would like this feature.
I have searched maxobjects and this forum, FYI :)
And I would also like this to be done none realtime, as I’m using this live, and not sure what kind of sound I’m going to record, it is nice to set the threshold after the recording.
The audio file and Maxpatch is missing from the project you have in your dropbox link.
If you upload again, I can take a look at your specific example. Your trouble is probably coming from the fact that rm.slice is doing onset detection vs a more sophisticated spectral transient detector (i.e. it is only detecting amplitude threshold crossings).
rm.slice working with some other objects may still do what you need (I need see the sound file and the patch to give any better advice than that).
Forgot to "consolidate project", sorry.
Should be good now.
Thx for your reply.
I’ll have a second look myself.
Hey, I’m very sorry. My crazy nomadic life for the end of 2013 I guess distracted me from these forums. If you are still working on this and still need some assistance, let me know.
Not just yet, but I might just pop up later :)
Forums > MaxMSP