Score notation software for CAC in Max
I’m looking for software with different types of notation capabilities to integrate with my Max computer-assisted composition work environment. I happen to use microtones quantized to 1/2, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8-tone resolutions. Right now, I’d like to stay within the Max environment. Is anyone able to compare products such as NoteAbility and MaxScore or illuminate me with other suggestions?
I’m hoping for something that can provide:
- Interface objects to display raw material (as in melodic snippets, contrapuntal passages, chord progressions, and spectral elements) for pitch organization. Something like a multi-nslider on steroids similar to OM’s Chord and Chord-Seq object
- A graphical timeline to subdivide durations and create sections to which the above interface objects can be positioned and or edited for reference. Capacity for vertical expansion with parallel timelines can be added for a variety of parameters and other uses (dynamics, envelopes/trajectories, composer’s notes, algorithms, etc.)
- Music notation editor functionality to create a finished score (metered and/or proportional) from a combination of data source (sections of the timeline data, insertions of Max generated MIDI data, live MIDI data, and manual data entry).
I know better than to expect 100% fulfillment, but I wonder what would come closest. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
You might want to have a look at AlgoScore. It can send controls as OSC or audio signals (using Jack audio) to MaxMSP.
Thank you Roald Baudoux.
I’ve just now downloaded the AlgoScore files with the documentation and I will definitely explore these further.
Has anyone used NoteAbility with Max?
I use NoteAbility all the time!! For what I am doing it’s the perfect tool. I use it to keep my score in sync with the performance and send messages back and forth between Max and NoteAbility. Also, in terms of notation, there is nothing you can’t do.
I also happen to know that some really interesting updates are coming down the line…
I downloaded the NoteAbility program and started getting familiar with it since your last message. Of course, there ae lots of questions. Although most would be more appropriately asked of the NoteAbility users, I would like to know more about how you integrate it with Max. In particular:
- Is it open and flexible enough where I might use it like a Max nslider type display, but with microtones?
- Can it send messages to Max in real-time (such as have Max play audible pitch changes on the fly)?
- Do you have any, or now where I can find, examples of how it does graphical timelines with Max?
- Can it output from a timeline the way Open Music or AlgoScore does?
Sorry for troubling you. I would appreciate your help.
My apologies for shamelessly plugging MaxScore, but this environment offers in the most recent version:
1. Microtonal playback with unlimited precision
2. Microtonal display of 48TET and 72TET. With appropriate fonts you can create a patch which loads dynamically offering your own notation style.
3. SVG export
4. nslider functionality with a little Max programming and much, much more.
At the Hamburg Hochschule für Musik und Theater a student of mine is also developing a jsui-based timeline object that offers a zoomable grid and the possibility on enter OSC-messages. For speed reasons, it relies on the Max coll object.
Please contact me offline at georghajdu[at]mac.com, if your interested in any of these developments
Forums > MaxMSP