ok, the idea:
- i load a sample into a buffer
- i make it visible with a waveform object
- i choose (with a multislider put over the waveform) 4 different start positions within this sample
basic idea is, to determine 4 different start positions within the same sample and now to create rhythmical patterns and determine which of the 4 different sounds (chosen from the same buffer) sounds when within a sequence.
i’m sure that i have to use the seq~ object but i never worked with it and i can’t really figure it out with maxhelp and i can’t find a tutorial which uses seq~.
can anyone help me with for example sending a basic patcher in which he/she uses seq~ in the way I want to use it so that i can understand how it works and how i can work with it please?
that would be fantastic.
thanx so much
I’m pretty sure that seq~ will not do what you want.
Instead I would start by looking at play~, which you can use to play back portions of a buffer.
you could use seq~ but you’d also want to use something like play~(i prefer groove~)
you need to think of all the parts:
1. sequencer (seq~, coll, multislider are some of the options here)
2. sample-playback (buffer~ is necessary, play~/index~/wave~/groove~ are the options here)
3. UI (multislider, waveform, number boxes, some other crazy custom made thing with LCD or something… are among the infinite options here)
4. Clock to sync everything(metro, transport, etc. for scheduler based options or phasor~ for sample-rate signal options ….seq~ must be used with some sort of sample-rate signal clock like phasor~ or the like)
using coll as a sequencer is great, too, or else you can always just use a multislider. problem is, without a starting patch, it would be too much work(i’m lazy) for me to give you examples of all these. maybe post your start and then let people here fix it up for ya?
otherwise, what you should do is look over and over until you understand stuff like in this examples folder found within the Max app folder:
more specifically see this for seq~ specific example:
and this for a newer version of that same patch so you can see different ways of doing it:
and then you might as well take a look at
to learn even more and give yourself many many more options…
Hope that helps. Best of luck.
*Never fear, Noob4Life was never here!*
thanx guys…..of course i know everything about play~ and groove~ and stuff like that. and of course i already built my own super multislider with a lot of extra options.
so i was really only interested in getting to know more about seq~ and its possibilies and maybe some patchers which show some stuff made with seq~.
but like always i didn’t express myself very well I guess….
thanx anyway for all this advice.
meanwhile i could talk to my great master and seq~ really doesn’t seem to be the right object.
I think the ’2d.wave~’ object gets a shot ;-)
all the best and if u have material about seq~ feel free to post it please.
the modsquad-seq~ link is cool though…thanx a lot
Forums > MaxMSP